Expression of interest for Project 04- Transport property calculations

Muhammad umer

Mar 7, 2023, 11:29:11 AM3/7/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code

Hi,

Hope you are doing great. This is Muhammad Umer Yaqoob, an undergraduate at UITU in field of Computer Systems Engineering. I am working in Autonomous Agriculture spraying drone as well as open-source tect for 1 years. I am writing this email to let you know that i am interested in contributing to this project. As I am also working in open CV python in my final year project(FYP). I would like to work on the Transport property calculations.  Furthermore, I am capable the working with VMD software, MATLAB and open-source tools such as Python. I will be very happy to contribute to this project.

Sincerely,

Muhammad Umer Yaqoob.

RELATED DOCUMANT

MUHAMMAD UMER YAQOOB.pdf

Rocco Meli

Mar 7, 2023, 3:25:41 PM3/7/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code, umery...@gmail.com
Hi Muhammad Umer Yaqoob,

Welcome to MDAnalysis!

MDAnalysis is a Python package for the analysis of computer simulations of systems at the atomic scale. We have a few introductory videos that can give you an idea of what problems MDAnalysis is solving https://www.mdanalysis.org/pages/learning_MDAnalysis/#introductory .

Since you are interested in project 4, I’d recommend playing with the existing diffusion code and learning about writing analysis tools (using AnalysisBase).

The best way to get started is to get your hands dirty following the MDAnalysis User Guide:

I would suggest starting with installing the MDAnalysis package (see https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/installation.html) and going through the Quick Start Guide (https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/examples/quickstart.html). Other sections of the User Guide go in much more details about the different capabilities of MDAnalysis.

Once you are a bit familiar with the MDAnalysis package, you can look at the sections of the User Guide explaining how to contribute:

There are detailed explanations on how to setup a developer environment (https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/contributing_code.html) and how to contribute to the MDAnalysis codebase. This is a great starting point to start contributing to MDAnalysis and trying to solve some of the open issues.

Our blog post https://www.mdanalysis.org/2023/02/22/gsoc2023/ is the starting point for all GSoC 2023 things and we have a FAQ https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ

Best,
Rocco

Muhammad umer

Mar 29, 2023, 5:43:16 AM3/29/23
to Rocco Meli, MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code
Thank you, I will check it out.

Muhammad umer

Mar 31, 2023, 2:07:38 AM3/31/23
to gs...@mdanalysis.org
Hi,

Hope you are doing great. This is Muhammad Umer Yaqoob, an undergraduate at UITU in field of Computer Systems Engineering. I am working in Autonomous Agriculture spraying drone as well as open-source tect for 1 years. I am writing this email to let you know that i am interested in contributing to this project. As I am also working in open CV python in my final year project(FYP). I would like to work on the Transport property calculations. Furthermore, I am capable the working with VMD software, MATLAB and open-source tools such as Python. I will be very happy to contribute to this project.

Sincerely,

Muhammad Umer Yaqoob.

Related Document

MUHAMMAD UMER YAQOOB 00.pdf

Project Manager MDAnalysis

Mar 31, 2023, 5:09:51 AM3/31/23
to gs...@mdanalysis.org
Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for your continued interest in the project!

Our blog post is the starting point for all GSoC 2023 things, and we have a FAQ. As per the FAQ, candidates must have code merged to be eligible to apply to GSoC with MDAnalysis. On the MDAnalysis repository, you can find several issues tagged with "good first issue", "Difficulty easy", or "GSoC Starter". Please bear in mind, you can only attempt one issue tagged as a GSoC Starter. Note also that we do not assign issues to people; we review the first pull request (PR) that solves an issue. Therefore, you can work on any issue you would like that does not already have an open/active PR against it. We also strongly suggest working on a single issue/PR at a time. Once you have one PR merged, you are of course welcome to tackle another issue, and so on.

Could you please provide your GitHub handle and let us know if you have been working on any issues in the repository? This is helpful for GSoC mentors to track which applicants are working on which issues. Once you have had your first PR merged, the next step would be to draft your proposal. See here for our guidance on "How to write a great application." To seek feedback from the MDAnalysis mentors, register as a contributor and submit your project idea. Please upload a PDF (`DRAFT` in the file name) of your proposal - which includes a Google doc link to your proposal - to the GSoC program website. Mentors can then provide feedback directly on your Google doc. When you are ready to submit the final version of your proposal, you can export your Google doc proposal as a PDF and re-upload to the GSoC site.

We look forward to your contribution.

All the best,
Jenna

--
GSoC 2023: Read https://www.mdanalysis.org/2023/02/22/gsoc2023/
Our FAQ: https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ

Project, Community and Outreach Manager
MDAnalysis * https://www.mdanalysis.org/

a fiscally sponsored project of NumFOCUS