Proposal to Clarify Procedure for Chair Vacancies

Paul Bracco

Dec 14, 2022, 10:27:08 PM12/14/22
to Bylaws Committee 2024
Colleagues,

If we'd like to knock out something simple in the first meeting, I'd like to put forward the clarification of how Chair vacancies are handled. This is the "alternative" proposal from the 2022 committee, as I feel it is more appropriate for the "backup" chair to be selected by the delegates rather than the LNC.

Sincerely,
Paul Bracco
001 - Chair Vacancy Clarification.docx

Secretary LNC

Dec 14, 2022, 10:32:52 PM12/14/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Thank you I'll add that to our rolling agenda.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Dec 16, 2022, 12:38:37 PM12/16/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Paul see attached where I modified the arguments a bit.  The statement about RONR was inaccurate so I clarified it.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Proposal A - Chair Vacancy Clarification.docx

Mike Seebeck

Dec 17, 2022, 10:30:05 AM12/17/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
The problem is stated in the solution.

It's also inaccurately stated, as I have stated MANY times before.

Secretary LNC

Dec 17, 2022, 10:37:35 AM12/17/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
If you have suggested changes to the form Mr Seebeck, I'd love to see a corrected copy.  If it's more disagreement with the premise, this is on the agenda for our meeting on the 12th.

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Mike Seebeck

Dec 17, 2022, 10:53:47 AM12/17/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Whether or not the premise is faulty or not is irrelevant to the fact that the problem statement that is in the solution is in the wrong place. The problem statement is the alleged lack of clarity. The solution statement is to clear it up. See other proposals as examples.

P.S. The premise statement is also pejorative along with being incorrect. Chair vacancies are already covered with vacancies of other Officers in the Bylaws, so RONR doesn't apply. This was argued before and it is still valid. The opposite implies the Chair isn't an Officer, which contradicts the Bylaws.

Secretary LNC

Dec 17, 2022, 11:18:40 AM12/17/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
This is debate - the committee will decide.  Mr. Bracco is entitled to state his case as he sees fit.  The problem and solution parts are wrangled with more extensively IF a proposal is adopted and gets incorporated into a report.  Until then, it is a tool that does not need to be perfect and can be refined further.  The Party Parliamentarian, and I understand people can disagree, has given the same opinion as Mr. Bracco on the proper interpretation.  This is the first item on the agenda for our next meeting.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Paul Bracco

Dec 17, 2022, 12:31:57 PM12/17/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Hello everyone,

In the problem/solution language of my initial proposal I tried not to take a position on what the current procedure is, the fact that there is controversy about the current procedure is exactly the problem that I'm trying to solve here.

My first priority with this proposal is to ensure clarity. Either this proposal or a proposal adding "...including Chair..." would accomplish this.

Between the two potential clarifications, the only difference I'm aware of is how a Chair vacancy is filled:
  1. This proposal would fill that vacancy by specifying that the Vice-Chair fill that vacancy.
  2. The alternative proposal of "...including Chair..." would specify that the LNC would select the new Chair.

I prefer this proposal for two reasons:
  1. The Chair was selected by the delegates, allowing the Vice-Chair to automatically ascend would mean that the "backup Chair" is selected by the delegates, rather than the LNC. I think it is preferable to trust the delegates rather than the LNC.
  2. This would serve to further differentiate the Vice-Chair position from the At-Large members.

Regardless of what the current procedure is, I believe that specifying that the Vice-Chair automatically ascends is the superior procedure. In the case that one faction of the argument is correct, then clarifying that serves to end the controversy. In the case that the other faction of the argument is correct, then this amendment will change the procedure to one that I believe is better.

I ask that we all put aside our various opinions on what the current procedure is and focus debate on this proposal itself.

Sincerely,
Paul Bracco

Dec 18, 2022, 7:24:04 PM12/18/22
to bylaws-committee-2024
IMO backup chair is Vice Chair as in duties of
officers in our Bylaws at ARTICLE 6: OFFICERS,
"4.  The vice-Chair shall be the chief assistant to
the chair, performing such duties as the Chair
shall prescribe, and holding such executive powers
as the Chair shall delegate and shall perform the
duties of the Chair in the event that the Chair is,
for any reason, unable to perform the duties of
the office."