Sustaining Membership Dues Update

Paul Bracco

Dec 14, 2022, 10:30:39 PM12/14/22
to Bylaws Committee 2024
Colleagues,

This proposal is deceptively simple, a simple increase of dues from $25 to $50. If the committee would like to postpone the discussion of and voting on this item in order to compare it to Mr. Moellman's inflation indexing proposal that is fine with me.

Sincerely,
Paul Bracco
002 - Sustaining Membership Dues Update.docx

Secretary LNC

Dec 14, 2022, 10:34:41 PM12/14/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Mr. Moellman can propose a different motion as a substitute so no worries there.

I'll add this to our rolling agenda.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Dec 16, 2022, 12:54:34 PM12/16/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Slightly modified form, nothing substantive, just standardizing the form.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Proposal B - Sustaining Membership Dues Update.docx

Sylvia Arrowwood

Dec 18, 2022, 11:52:34 AM12/18/22
to bylaws-committee-2024
Whatever it turns out to be, if any amount, should be a round number.
Makes accounting and life easier.  Can't argue with that!

I am of the view that joining the party should be as inexpensive and simple as possible.  The $25 serves as a sufficient threshold that someone is serious about dipping their toe into more involvement.  The party should not be treated as an exclusive club but as a movement to encourage.  If the LP needs more funding it should achieve that through recruiting, not on raising its cost to join.

Dec 18, 2022, 7:57:36 PM12/18/22
to bylaws-committee-2024
IMO if we decide to up the ante for National membership dues, it
should be a small amount, maybe $5.  $5 times all of our members
amounts to quite a bit and probably would not cause someone to
back off.

When I renewed last month Mr. Kraus asked could I see my way
to up my membership and I chose to up it by $35 equaling a total
of $60.  This request put no pressure on me at all and was a friendly
ask. It was just a kind of "could you see fit to up the amount a tad?"
Am thinking that perhaps other members will follow suit and up their
total due by what they can at the time. If the membership dues are
too high -- and to double might be asking too much -- the amount
they chose to up by could be reduced.  It certainly would have in
my situation.

Dec 23, 2022, 5:52:05 PM12/23/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Ronr suggests that starting with a higher amount is the right way, and then people can move to amend it down. It is arguably out of order to try to amend dues upward if notice has been given of an amount. But our rules also don't require notice so that may not apply.

Ken

Secretary LNC

Dec 23, 2022, 6:02:50 PM12/23/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Mr. Moellman, that is an interesting question that I am going to discuss with some parliamentarians.  Normally, you are correct, amending up would be out of order, but also there is no notice requirement.  HOWEVER, the Bylaws committee report enjoys a certainly automatic privilege and amending up could be argued to be beyond the scope and violating the "privilege" of the bylaws committee report.  I think it would be allowable to amend up but would feel unorthodox - but I am going to ask some advanced parliamentarians for advice here.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Secretary LNC

Dec 24, 2022, 11:08:53 AM12/24/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I check with both Mr. Brown and JJ, and they think an amendment up would be permitted, though Mr. Brown had the same gut feeling I did that if the bylaws committee proposals were distributed in advance, it is not quite as a clear as a member might skip that session if they were comfortable with the scope of the proposals, but likely still permitted.

We need to get some notice requirements in the bylaws to protect everyone.

In Liberty, Caryn Ann Harlos
LNC Secretary and LP Historical Preservation Committee Chair ~ 561.523.2250

Sylvia Arrowwood

Dec 24, 2022, 1:49:14 PM12/24/22
to bylaws-committee-2024
MENDMENT

Secretary LNC

Dec 24, 2022, 2:03:30 PM12/24/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
I think you hit send too early Ms Arrowwood

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 11:49 AM Sylvia Arrowwood <sarro...@homesc.com> wrote:
MENDMENT

--
Committee members, download the Proposal Form here: https://tinyurl.com/2024Bylaws-SubmissionForm
---

Sylvia Arrowwood

Dec 24, 2022, 2:41:11 PM12/24/22
to bylaws-committee-2024
Sure did.

Dec 26, 2022, 4:06:38 AM12/26/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org

My inflation-indexed proposal avoid having this fight, but since most people active today haven't lived through this fight they won't really understand it. I don't plan to bring forth the inflation-adjusted proposal; a future committee can do that after we have this fight and everyone understands why it's better to have it indexed instead. :)  Such a proposal would have seen dues increase to (probably) either $35, $40, $70, or $80 depending on the base amount (either $5 or $10 in July 1971 dollars) and whether it was rounded up or down to the nearest $5.

However, I would like to suggest we amend the proposal to $60 per year, which is $5/mo, and therefore encourage $5/mo, so that we have a more regular flow of income into the party.  As noted, we can always come down, but I think $5/mo is pretty reasonable.

---
Ken C. Moellman, Jr.
Executive Director
Libertarian Party of Kentucky

Paul Bracco

Dec 26, 2022, 10:37:17 AM12/26/22
to bylaws-com...@lp.org
Under the current rules, when would someone who has never paid dues before become a member if they were to sign the pledge and begin a $5 donation today?
  • They would become a member after their fifth donation. (this is what I suspect)
  • They would become a member after their first donation.
  • They would become a member at some other time.

If what I suspect is true, I think if we want to encourage people to donate $5 per month rather than $60 per year we'd need to include language that would make them members earlier than one year in.

Paul Bracco