COVID-19 Model Attributes First Draft - Please Comment!

Preston Lee

Mar 29, 2020, 5:27:02 PM3/29/20
to COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
This is a current draft of a consolidated model attribute spreadsheet for comment only. These WILL CHANGE and our timeline is still to release a de facto FHIR IG *this week*. ("De facto" in that formal HL7 balloting will come down the road.) LOINC (Regenstrief) has agreed to expedite requests for missing codes; Intermountain is driving this in coordination with Clinical Architecture.

I'll be meeting w/CA (and probably MITRE) tomorrow to discuss who exactly is going to be release what, and where/how. HL7 just approved the "joint project plan" and will ink it Monday to ensure none of this gets encumbered.

MITRE/Apervita/Perspecta/implementors: Could we get you to commit to trying this v1 FHIR R4 IG? We still need to get reference implementation and other pilot commitments lined up even though the models and IG aren't quite ready yet.

Preston

CovidModelingDataCompiled_v1-watermark.xlsx

Russ Leftwich

Mar 30, 2020, 9:45:06 AM3/30/20
to Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee
Preston,

The units on Fever row #22 should be included.

For contact with confirmed cases it would be important to know the stage/symptom status of the confirmed case to which the subject was exposed, eg asymptotic, mild, recovered.

Russ

<CovidModelingDataCompiled_v1-watermark.xlsx>

Mark Kramer

Mar 30, 2020, 11:42:41 AM3/30/20
to Russ Leftwich, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee
Preston,
You mentioned an IG. Where do I find that?
Mark

Radov, Nicholas O

Mar 30, 2020, 12:00:54 PM3/30/20
to Russ Leftwich, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee

I assume that stage/symptom status of the confirmed case would go in the Condition.stage.summary element but it appears that most of the work done so far on defining an example value set was for oncology. Do you have suggestions on an appropriate SNOMED CT value set for COVID-19 stage/symptom status? There are a variety of different types of “severity” concepts split between findings, assessment scales, observable entities, and qualifier values.

Nick Radov | Director, Interoperability Standards & Compliance

)+1 612-632-2612 | * nra...@uhc.com | unitedhealthgroup.com

Our United Culture  The way forward

UNITEDHEALTH GROUPINTEGRITYCOMPASSIONRELATIONSHIPSINNOVATIONPERFORMANCE

Carol Macumber

Mar 30, 2020, 12:29:16 PM3/30/20
to Radov, Nicholas O, Russ Leftwich, Preston Lee, co...@logicahealth.org

Is there an agreed upon/documented staging for COVID-19? If so we can certainly help identify the appropriate SNOMED codes.

All I could find was a proposed three staging system out of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical: https://www.jhltonline.org/article/S1053-2498(20)31473-X/fulltext?rss=yes

Preston Lee

Mar 30, 2020, 12:37:02 PM3/30/20
to COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, cmi...@gmail.com, pre...@logicahealth.org
Working repo is https://github.com/logicahealth/covid-19

Nathan Davis (Intermountain) is lead.

Radov, Nicholas O

Mar 30, 2020, 12:42:32 PM3/30/20
to Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, cmi...@gmail.com

Thanks for the link. Will it be possible to get an IG build job running soon? That would make it a lot easier for some of us to review the content instead of doing local builds or reviewing source code files on Github.

https://build.fhir.org/ig/logicahealth/

Nick Radov | Director, Interoperability Standards & Compliance

)+1 612-632-2612 | * nra...@uhc.com | unitedhealthgroup.com

Our United Culture  The way forward

UNITEDHEALTH GROUPINTEGRITYCOMPASSIONRELATIONSHIPSINNOVATIONPERFORMANCE

Mar 30, 2020, 12:52:56 PM3/30/20
to Radov, Nicholas O, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee, cmi...@gmail.com
I will link up autobuild if I can get committer permission. My Git I’d is mark kramer us

Kramer, Mark A.

Mar 30, 2020, 1:00:41 PM3/30/20
to Mark Kramer, Radov, Nicholas O, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee, cmi...@gmail.com

My ID is “markkramerus”

One long string. Thanks autocorrect?

Mar 30, 2020, 1:44:06 PM3/30/20
to Radov, Nicholas O, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Russell Leftwich MD
Thinking intuitively about the stage/symptom status for exposure to a confirmed case:  that individual with confirmed COVID-19 might have been asymptomatic, upper respiratory symptoms only, cough, cough and respiratory distress, on ventilator, or recovered.  Maybe a few more nuances of status would be useful, but I am not sure a complete assessment of severity would be helpful.  There is already an element for context of exposure, but I would not think this would capture these concepts.

Russ

Radov, Nicholas O

Mar 30, 2020, 1:45:59 PM3/30/20
to Kramer, Mark A., Mark Kramer, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets, Preston Lee, cmi...@gmail.com

I don’t have permission to add committers for the FHIR build site. Could you post a request with your username on Zulip chat?

https://chat.fhir.org/

Riccardo Grandi

Mar 30, 2020, 2:48:16 PM3/30/20
to Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
Now in Italy we use a self-certification to motivate the movements.
does anyone care about the topic?

it would be interesting to study a fhir profile

Riccardo Grandi

Il giorno dom 29 mar 2020 alle ore 23:27 Preston Lee
<pre...@logicahealth.org> ha scritto:

Stan Huff

Mar 31, 2020, 1:33:09 PM3/31/20
to Riccardo Grandi, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
Riccardo,
This sounds interesting, but I am not sure what you mean by "self-certification to motivate the movements." Can you give a bit more description about how this works? Thanks, Stan

Apr 1, 2020, 9:25:24 AM4/1/20
to Stan Huff, Riccardo Grandi, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
Preston - apologies for contributing late - following are comments about the draft terms in the spreadsheet - hope this helps. jimmy

Signs / symptoms:
Lines 15/16 - presence/absence of chills: not a prominent feature of COVID-19, consider removing
Line 42 - general weakness: consider using the term fatigue instead of general weakness, fatigue is a very prominent feature (and is the term typically used in the medical literature)
Consider adding lightheadedness (pre-syncope)

Staging
3 stage system (4 parts to staging) is in the literature - see attached
Stage I: early infection: viral response phase
Stage IIA: pulmonary phase without hypoxia
Stage IIB: pulmonary phase with hypoxia
Stage III: systemic hyperinflammation

Hospitalization assessment - SOFA Score (Sequential Organ Failure Assesment)
SOFA Score: value set 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
Elements
PaO2
FiO2
Platelet count
Bilirubin
Creatinine
Hypotension
Glasgow Coma Score
To view this discussion on the web visit https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://groups.google.com/a/logicahealth.org/d/msgid/covid/MWHPR10MB1263F5EE5BAA79201B036B0BF5C80*40MWHPR10MB1263.namprd10.prod.outlook.com__;JQ!!OToaGQ!9OH2nNq0c7kLTEDX_SowCWiuLTcv4-BUZOfENiQVNQodl4_7ef1C5XWwq92TuUwe7DQ$ .
Pre-Print-JHLT3-20-2020.pdf
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.39.27 PM.png
SEPSIS-3 International Consensus 2016 JAMA.pdf

James Tcheng, M.D.

Apr 1, 2020, 9:35:21 AM4/1/20
to Carol Macumber, Radov, Nicholas O, Russ Leftwich, Preston Lee, co...@logicahealth.org

Yes – that is the staging system that has been proposed. jimmy

Preston Lee

Apr 1, 2020, 11:19:14 AM4/1/20
to COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
Thank you Jimmy!

Russ Leftwich

Apr 1, 2020, 12:07:05 PM4/1/20
to Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets
This seems to be staging for pulmonary COVID-19 disease and it is hard to align with what we are told is the clinical course of the majority of SARS-CoV2 infections.

Russ

James Tcheng, M.D.

Apr 1, 2020, 12:51:17 PM4/1/20
to Russ Leftwich, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets

Staging is across all manifestations across all body systems of COVID-19 – disease is not limited to pulmonary system.  In fact, a fair proportion of the mortality is due to cardiac complications related to an over-exuberant “storm” inflammatory response.

I agree with the need for a COVID disease expression classification (not a pathophysiologic staging system). Starting with Russ’ original suggestion, perhaps something along the lines of the following:

Asymptomatic

Mild symptoms (fever <102.5, URI symptoms)

Moderate (fever >=102.5, fatigue, dyspnea, myalgias, nausea / vomiting / diarrhea)

Hospitalized – not critical

Hospitalized – critical condition

Recovered

This seems to be staging for pulmonary COVID-19 disease and it is hard to align with what we are told is the clinical course of the majority of SARS-CoV2 infections.

Radov, Nicholas O

Apr 1, 2020, 12:59:06 PM4/1/20
to James Tcheng, M.D., Russ Leftwich, Preston Lee, COVID-19 Interoperability Assets

From a modeling standpoint it might make sense to place hospitalization (or lack thereof) on a separate axis from clinical disease stage. We should be able to determine if the patient is currently hospitalized based on encounter status and class. But there may be some patients who have severe symptoms but are not yet hospitalized for various reasons.