Design opportunities digest - February 7th 2023

Amy Dinh

Feb 7, 2023, 7:00:10 PM2/7/23
to Community
Hi everyone,

After a hiatus during the end of semester and winter break, the Jacobs design opportunities digest is back! The digest compiles opportunities shared and organized by members of the broader design/tech community, from student groups to design firms to design programs. If you have an announcement to share with the digest, please feel free to send a 1-2 paragraph blurb and relevant details to me.

This week's digest has information about several events and opportunities with upcoming dates and deadlines, starting today. Read on below for details.

Cheers!

Amy

General Opportunities

  • Audit Introduction to Figma DeCal

  • UC Berkeley SWE High School Engineering Program mentor application

  • H2H8 research grants

  • Entrepreneurship Summer Abroad Student Opportunity

  • I School's 5th Year Master in Data Science

  • John Gardener Service Fellowship

Events

  • Blind Arduino Project Meetup

Career
  • Inclusive & Equitable Product Design, Project Coordinator

General Opportunities

UC Berkeley SWE High School Engineering Program mentor application
HSEP is a free, 10-week program that aims to introduce female and nonbinary high school students to engineering and inspire them to pursue STEM. Mentors lead a technical project of their choice with a group of 4-6 high school students.

Sessions take place every Saturday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., from February 18 to April 29.

Deadline to apply: February 7. Contact SWE with questions.

Audit Introduction to Figma DeCal!
Figma Decal is a course for any student to learn Figma — a powerful, free-to-use design tool — and gain the skills, community, and confidence to bring any idea to life. No experience is necessary, the course is designed for beginners! The application deadline has passed, but you can come audit our lectures on Mondays 5:30-7:00 in Jacobs 310. Hope to see you there!

H2H8 research grants

The Hearts to Humanity Foundation is offering grants for research to advance humanity to graduate and undergraduate students in Mathematical & Physical Sciences Division L&S, EECS, College of Engineering, UC Berkeley.

To view awards and for more information view the attached descriptions for undergraduates and graduates.

Join the zoom info session on Friday, February 10 at 4pm.  You will hear from students currently in the program, and from the H2H8 organization's leader, Berkeley Engineering alumnus Bill Chu. And ask any questions.

Entrepreneurship Summer Abroad Opportunity

Join the European Innovation Academy for an intensive, fast-paced experience. You will learn from more than 100 venture capitalists, serial entrepreneurs, executives from Silicon Valley companies, and experts while building your own startup with like-minded students from around the world.

You can learn more and apply here, and subscribe for updates here. The info sessions will take place on the following dates:

Info Session: Thursday, March 2, 2023 @12-1:00 pm

To schedule an advising session fill out the following google application: EIA Mandatory Advising Meeting If you have any questions you can reach out to EIA Ambassadors: Jonathan Zvi – jd...@berkeley.edu

I School's 5th Year Master in Data Science

Are you considering a career in data science? The School of Information’s online 5th Year Master of Information and Data Science (5th Year MIDS) program takes an interdisciplinary approach to equip Cal students for careers that are relying increasingly on data to make decisions. With personalized 1-1 career coaching and a project-based approach to learning, graduates go on to successful careers as data scientists, machine learning engineers, and software engineers at Google, Salesforce, and Pinterest. Register for our 5th Year MIDS Open House on Tuesday, February 7 from 5-7 pm, to learn more about the program and hear directly from current students and alumni

For any questions reach out to neha...@berkeley.edu

John Gardener Service Fellowship

The John Gardner Fellowship at UC Berkeley selects three seniors and provides each a $47,000 stipend to work in the governmental or nonprofit organization that most closely fits their public-sector interests for 10 months after graduation.

The goal of the Fellowship is to encourage UC Berkeley’s best students to pursue a career in public service. We welcome applicants from a diverse pool of students with a wide variety of service experiences. If you are committed to public service and have leadership experience, we urge you to apply.

See flier for more information.

Application Deadline: February 9, 2023

Application link: https://forms.gle/CAo65Ed88BCA6Gwc6

Events

Blind Arduino Project Meetup

Bay Area Blind Arduino Monthly Meet-up (BABAMM) Learn to design accessible interfaces with Arduino. For more information join groups.io/g/babamm.  The event will take place  Saturday, February 18, and every third Saturday of the month

thereafter, 1:00-4:00pm  in The East Bay Center for the Blind -- 2928 Adeline Street in Berkeley

For the event:

  • Bring your laptop and we will make sure you're set up with the software you need.

  • Wondering if Sighted people are welcome? They absolutely are -- learn how sighted makers are a welcome and important part of our community.

  • Just getting started? get a tour around an Arduino board and a Grove shield.

  • Been working on stuff while we've been hunkered down? Come show off your latest projects!

  • Designing something new? Get advice from experienced blind and sighted makers.

  • Hungry? Have some snacks and meet other blind makers.

  • Having trouble? Debug your code with an audience to cheer you on.

  • Got questions? Send an email to eleano...@berkeley.edu

Career

Inclusive & Equitable Product Design, Project Coordinator
EGAL is seeking a current Masters or PhD student to join a project exploring the business value of inclusive product design and testing. Can you share this call for applications with students in your network? Applications are due by February 8, 2023. See attached PDF for details.

--
Amy Dinh  A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature
pronouns: she/her/hers

Check out the many ways you can explore design in the Jacobs community here
Learn about the Berkeley Master of Design here
Learn more about our efforts to increase equity & inclusion here

Contact me!
  • I am available via emailscheduled appointment, or drop-in advising
  • Currently, I have a flex work schedule. My bCal shows the days I am working from home; if the day is unmarked, it means I am working on campus at 103 Jacobs Hall.
COVID-19 updates and resources for Berkeley students can be found here

Amy Dinh

Feb 7, 2023, 8:08:38 PM2/7/23
to Community
Hello again all,

I neglected to attach the PDF about the Inclusive & Equitable Product Design, Project Coordinator role. Please find it attached now!

Best,

Amy
Project Coord JD.pdf
Project Coord JD.pdf