Installing apps into containers

Nidhal Ghanmi

Dec 6, 2021, 6:46:39 AM12/6/21
to singularity
Hello

I am willing on how to in order to install additional apps into a created or pulled container ?

I tryed with some options like
$ singularity --sandbox --update sandbox/ file.def
or
$ singularity shell --writable sandbox/

Everything will always look fine , and everything installed but later new tool or tools will never appear
$ singularity exec sandbox/ which tool-name
gives nothing

Please any proper way to do this ?

Thanks
Nidhal

Dave Dykstra

Dec 7, 2021, 10:25:43 AM12/7/21
to singu...@lbl.gov
Nidhal,

The --writable option does not allow saving changes in the container,
similar to a normal docker container. The best option is to build a
fresh container based on another one using the image build tools.
Otherwise I believe I did see a way to save changes once but I have
never used it and so don't know the details.

Dave

David Godlove

Dec 7, 2021, 10:33:28 AM12/7/21
to singularity
You can save changes to a sandbox.  Use the --sandbox option with the build command.  This creates a plain old chroot directory for you instead of a sif.  These containers are rw if you use the --writable option with them and changes will persist.  But they are only appropriate for development.  Use a sif for production.  If you need changes to persist in your sif, use a directory or an ext3 image as writable overlay.  See this: