Open letter to Kubernetes reviewers/approvers (and contributors!)

Daniel Smith

Apr 22, 2022, 2:13:54 PMApr 22
to d...@kubernetes.io, le...@kubernetes.io

Dear Kubernetes OWNER!

As you probably know, Kubernetes is currently experiencing a number of things leading to less quality than we (and our users) expect. Examples:

  • Regressions, due to absent or incorrect tests

  • Flaky tests (causes including faulty infrastructure, faulty tests, and–worst of all–faulty system)

  • Bugs introduced by new features

We don’t want to ask contributors to jump through too many hoops to contribute, but given the current quality of Kubernetes, we’d like to change the bar for accepting a PR from “don’t make the code locally worse” to “also don’t build on shaky foundations”.

This implies that the following are valid reasons to hold a PR:

  • “The existing tests don’t clearly cover important aspects of the existing code. Can you fix this in a separate PR before implementing the functionality in this PR?”

    • Low coverage is sufficient to merit this response, but not necessary – we expect that you, as an OWNER, likely know where the skeletons are.

  • “Sorry, but since right now we are emphasizing release quality, you may not ‘submit the tests in a followup PR’, we need good tests to accept changes.”

  • There are asynchronous aspects to this test, can you please run it with `go test -race -c $pkg && stress $pkg.test` and ensure that it’s not flaky?” (guide)

    • Example triggers for this: use of time.Sleep() in a test; use of mutexes etc…

Requests like this should be similar in scope (and obviously, location in the code) to the PR they are about – this isn’t the way to get someone to e.g. redesign kubelet!

We’re also extending the Test Plan section of the KEP template in the spirit of the above to ensure we will all be thinking holistically about tests for every new feature.

Thank you for your continuing care and attention to detail!

– @lavalamp, @liggitt, @wojtekt, @logicalhan, @dims, @fbongiovanni, @pohly, @alculquicondor, @derekwaynecarr, @seans3, @fabriziopandini, @johnbelamaric, @soltysh, @KnVerey, @cblecker, @deads2k, @eddiezane, @thockin, @dchen1107, @jdumars, @xing-yang

Antonio Ojea

May 10, 2022, 8:33:24 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
Hi all,

Anybody interested in talking more about this next Monday during the contributors summit?

If there is interest we can reserve one room

Davanum Srinivas

May 10, 2022, 8:39:25 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to Antonio Ojea, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
+1 Antonio!

Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr

May 10, 2022, 8:40:11 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to Davanum Srinivas, Antonio Ojea, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
+1

Wojciech Tyczyński

May 10, 2022, 9:22:15 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Davanum Srinivas, Antonio Ojea, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
+1 -  wanted to suggest that too.

Bob Killen

May 10, 2022, 9:26:07 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to Wojciech Tyczyński, Carlos Tadeu Panato Jr, Davanum Srinivas, Antonio Ojea, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
+1 from me as well :)
We have unconference slots available - would you mind adding some details in the unconference session submission issue? - https://github.com/kubernetes/community/issues/6633

Antonio Ojea

May 10, 2022, 9:56:42 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to dev, kille...@gmail.com, cta...@gmail.com, dav...@gmail.com, Antonio Ojea, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io, Wojciech Tyczyński
I'll add it to the unconference session issue

Patrick Ohly

May 10, 2022, 10:05:28 AM (13 days ago) May 10
to antonio.o...@gmail.com, Daniel Smith, dev, le...@kubernetes.io
Antonio Ojea <antonio.o...@gmail.com> writes:
> Anybody interested in talking more about this next Monday during the
> contributors summit?

Yes. Might also be a good opportunity to discuss the PR linting proposal
(https://groups.google.com/a/kubernetes.io/g/dev/c/myGiml72IbM).

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly
Cloud Software Architect

Intel GmbH
System Software Engineering/Cloud Native