Problem accessing FMRC Best Fields

Parker MacCready

Mar 26, 2024, 12:54:07 PMMar 26
to HYCOM.org Forum
Dear Forum,

For the past few days I have been having trouble with a routine HYCOM extraction. I use a URL like this:

 - getting hycom fields for 2024.03.26
https://ncss.hycom.org/thredds/ncss/GLBy0.08/expt_93.0/FMRC/GLBy0.08_930_FMRC_best.ncd?var=surf_el,water_temp,salinity,water_u,water_v&north=53&south=39&west=229&east=239&time=2024-03-26-T00:00:00Z&addLatLon=true&accept=netcdf4
 - Attempting to get data, counter = 1
 - Failed with status code:
500
 - took 0.4 seconds
2024-03-26 08:58:17.877132

This failed 4 times this morning (it worked fine for many months previously, until the past few days). The failure mode seems consistent: it is able to get the fields from yesterday and the day before, but fails on the current day.

I do the extraction using python, with the requests module:

r = requests.get(url, timeout=200)
            if r.ok:
                with open(out_fn,'wb') as f:
                    f.write(r.content)
                got_fmrc = True
                r.close()
            elif not r.ok:
                print(' - Failed with status code:')
                print(r.status_code)

I am hoping someone can help with this.

Thanks,

Parker

Yun Liu

Mar 26, 2024, 4:01:42 PMMar 26
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parker MacCready
I have the same issues  including all the  FMRC files

Michael McDonald

Mar 26, 2024, 5:47:30 PMMar 26
to Parker MacCready, HYCOM.org Forum
Parker,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you be more specific
regarding "past few days"? If I can pinpoint this to a particular date
when issues started, then I can hopefully identify the issue.
> --
> --

Michael McDonald
HYCOM.org Administrator

Parker MacCready

Mar 26, 2024, 6:08:21 PMMar 26
to Michael McDonald, HYCOM.org Forum
Since March 18 in my notes.

Parker MacCready

Leo Maddox Endowed Professor in Oceanography

Research Professor, School of Oceanography

** I live and work on the land and waters of the Squaxin Island Tribe. **
Email: pm...@uw.edu
pronouns: he/him

Elle T

Mar 27, 2024, 4:42:43 AMMar 27
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parker MacCready, HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald
We've also had problems with the FMRC via opendap, I made a post here:  Time1 issue and conflicting time dimensions (google.com).

Hopefully it can be fixed soon - thanks for any help as always!

Michael McDonald

Mar 29, 2024, 8:28:48 AMMar 29
to Elle T, HYCOM.org Forum, Parker MacCready
Parker and Elle,
Can you please specify the timezone and specific times you are making
these queries (that fail)?

Parker MacCready

Mar 29, 2024, 11:44:16 AMMar 29
to Michael McDonald, Elle T, HYCOM.org Forum
Michael,

My standard request is made daily at 1:20 AM Pacific Time (shifts automatically between Standard and Daylight time). So it is 4:20 AM EDT/EST.

The requests have been working fine the past two days.

Thanks,

Parker

Parker MacCready

Mar 31, 2024, 12:00:11 PMMar 31
to HYCOM.org Forum, Parker MacCready, Elle T, HYCOM.org Forum, Michael McDonald
Michael,

 - Attempting to get data, counter = 1
 - Failed with status code:
500
 - took 0.5 seconds
2024-03-31 01:23:33.252207

My code tries any failed request 10 times before giving up, waiting 10 seconds between tries. These days when it fails once it seems to go through all 10 tries, usually failing in under 1 sec. with the same 500 status code (server side error?).

The code ran successfully yesterday when I re-ran it by hand around 8 AM Pacific time.

Let me know if more information would help.

Thanks,

Parker

Michael McDonald

Apr 10, 2024, 1:27:16 PMApr 10
to Parker MacCready, HYCOM.org Forum, Elle T
Please see my post in this thread that might be the cause/issue with
the FMRC you all are experiencing. We are still working on this.

https://groups.google.com/a/hycom.org/g/forum/c/TEwADrYUz2Y/m/65kNe_S9AAAJ