AERC Drug testing

Ed & Wendy Hauser

Jun 2, 2015, 9:15:22 AM6/2/15
to ride...@endurance.net
While administering Bute to a laminitic, retired, Cushing horse and carefully following procedures to assure that no traces  of Bute get on or into the other horses, it occurred to me that in the '90's I could pretty much count on having blood drawn for a drug test at a ride at least one time a year, but that I have not had blood drawn or seen a blood tester for the last 10 years or so.

Has the number of AERC blood tests really decreased that much, or is just the luck of the draw?

Assuming that part of the reason for testing is to keep the honest people honest, how does a perception of no or very extremely rare testing accomplish this?

Ed
--
Ed & Wendy Hauser
5729 175th Ave.

Ed: (406) 381-5527
Wendy: (406) 544-2926

Jennifer Fleet

Jun 2, 2015, 1:57:24 PM6/2/15
to ra...@sisuwest.us, ride...@endurance.net

I saw drug testing taking place at Run For The Gold this past weekend.  First time I’ve ever seen it, either in AERC or NATRC.

Jennifer Fleet

Keith Kibler

Jun 2, 2015, 3:57:37 PM6/2/15
to JLF...@earthlink.net, <ranch@sisuwest.us>, <ridecamp@endurance.net>
I was at a ride a few years ago and competed both days on gaited Twhs
   The horses did well. Both were top 5 and one took BC. The drug testers were there but never said a word to me. I asked "do you want to test my horses? One said, and I kid you not, "no thanks we have seen your horses move"
   I know testing is supposed to be random but that guy was not making a joke
Keith Kibler

Sent from my iPhone

Lynne Glazer

Jun 2, 2015, 4:03:16 PM6/2/15
to ride...@endurance.net, ra...@sisuwest.us
There was morning testing at the Bar H ride in March, also California. California's program is not administered by USEF, though. We see the testers fairly regularly.

Lynne

Ed & Wendy Hauser

Jun 2, 2015, 5:05:13 PM6/2/15
to Lynne Glazer, ride...@endurance.net
On 6/2/2015 3:03 PM, Lynne Glazer wrote:
o California. California's program is not administered by USEF, though.
I am aware that AERC, through the USEF last I heard,  does not test, or charge the riders in Ca because of the state drug testing program.   It just seems to me that I have been paying for drug tests at a lot of rides with no testing done.

Carla Richardson

Jun 2, 2015, 7:55:41 PM6/2/15
to ridecamp (E-mail)

I've never been tested, Ed.

Shannon Loomis

Jun 2, 2015, 8:10:02 PM6/2/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I've been tested and have been at a tested ride almost every season.

Shannon Loomis
QED Farm Sport Morgans

Ebeyrider

Jun 3, 2015, 12:34:50 AM6/3/15
to ride...@endurance.net
My horse has been tested twice this year.

Terry
May the Horse be With You

Ed & Wendy Hauser

Jun 3, 2015, 8:43:33 AM6/3/15
to ride...@endurance.net
On 6/2/2015 7:09 PM, 'Shannon Loomis' via ridecamp at Endurance.Net wrote:
Shannon Loomis
QED Farm Sport Morgans
Is there regional differences?  Where are you when you have or have not been tested?

Carla Richardson

Jun 3, 2015, 8:49:39 AM6/3/15
to ridecamp (E-mail)

I think the routine has always been that the front runners were tested, mostly top 10, and although I've been at many rides where the testers conducted drug tests, they were long gone by the time I came in.  End of pack riders were not usually tested.

It is my understanding that the AERC board has made changes in testing routines, so that slower riders are now more likely to be tested.  I think that's long overdue.

Carla Richardson