Intent to Extend Experiment: Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs through M113

John Delaney

Jan 10, 2023, 5:33:18 PM1/10/23
to blink-dev

Greetings,

We would like to extend the Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs experiment for all APIs contained in the unified origin trial including: Topics, FLEDGE, Fenced Frames, Attribution Reporting, Shared Storage, and Private Aggregation.

We are sending a single intent for the extension because the rationale is shared among each of the APIs.

Contact emails

john...@chromium.org, jka...@chromium.org, paulj...@chromium.org

Explainer

Attribution Reporting: https://github.com/WICG/attribution-reporting-api/blob/main/EVENT.md

Fenced Frames: https://github.com/WICG/fenced-frame/tree/master/explainer

FLEDGE: https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/master/FLEDGE.md

Shared Storage: https://github.com/WICG/shared-storage

Private Aggregation: https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/private-aggregation-api

Topics API: https://github.com/patcg-individual-drafts/topics/blob/main/README.md

Summary

A collection of APIs to facilitate advertising: Attribution Reporting, Fenced Frames, FLEDGE, Private Aggregation, Shared Storage and Topics.

Link to “Intent to Experiment” blink-dev discussion

Attribution Reporting: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/jEnNpideO1Y/m/nlEDdjmnCgAJ

Fenced Frames: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/y6G3cvKXjlg/m/DSNrBtxyAgAJ

FLEDGE: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/0VmMSsDWsFg/m/_0T5qleqCgAJ

Private Aggregation: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/576sXtXNeCA

Shared Storage: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/jDx8z5a6ovk/m/H6w1UO-uBAAJ

Topics API: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/oTwd6VwCwqs/m/jPkW3T-mCgAJ

Unified OT Thread: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/Vi-Rj37aZLs/m/wzeBWfxxEgAJ

Goals for experimentation

Unchanged.

Experimental timeline

We'd like to extend the origin trial for 3 additional milestones, with the extension starting in 111 and continuing through Chrome 113. The initial experiment is running from Chrome 101 through 110. We previously requested an extension from Chrome 108 - 110 here.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

None. The unified origin trial is only available for a subset of Chrome users, and requires developers to perform feature detection to use the APIs.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We received feedback from developers resulting in the need for continued testing and addressing several points of feedback that required changes to the APIs, in the next several milestones. This will allow the ecosystem more time in stable channels to continue their experiments.

These improvements include, but are not limited, to the following:

Attribution Reporting

  • Various bug fixes

  • Support for more debug reports

  • Support for cross app and web measurement

Fenced Frames

  • Backward compatible API surface change to take a WebIDL object “config” instead of an urn:uuid as a src.

  • Enhancement of permissions delegation framework to be more compatible with the allow attribute.

  • Refactoring of reportEvent implementation to be more secure.

 FLEDGE

  • Large scale latency optimizations

 Private Aggregation (OT started in M107)

  • Limited feedback so far, partners are still ramping up their testing

 Shared Storage

  • Limited feedback so far, partners are still ramping up their testing

Topics

  • General utility improvements

  • Address potential abuse vectors

  • Performance optimizations

Feedback from the ecosystem, especially testing results from our Origin Trials, will continue to influence the evolution of the API.

Ongoing technical constraints

Please see each API's initial Intent to Experiment.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

Please see each API's initial Intent to Experiment.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

Attribution Reporting: https://chromestatus.com/feature/6412002824028160

Fenced Frames: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5699388062040064

FLEDGE: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5733583115255808

Private Aggregation: https://chromestatus.com/guide/edit/5743412790689792

Shared Storage: https://chromestatus.com/feature/6256348582903808

Topics: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680923054964736

Unified Feature Dashboard: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5100526168440832

Rick Byers

Jan 11, 2023, 10:40:39 AM1/11/23
to John Delaney, blink-dev
Thanks John. I've seen how hard the teams are working to collect feedback on all of these APIs and continue iterating on their designs. Continued experimentation absolutely makes sense to me. LGTM.