FYI Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs origin trial

John Delaney

Apr 8, 2022, 4:17:12 PM4/8/22
to blink-dev
Hi blink-dev,

This is a heads-up that there will be a shared origin trial for three new APIs.

The "Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs" origin trial will include:

Please see each API’s Intent to Experiment for additional details.

We have published separate guidance on how this shared origin trial will work, and how developers can participate once available here:

John Delaney

Apr 28, 2022, 4:18:05 PM4/28/22
to blink-dev, John Delaney
The unified origin trial for the Privacy Sandbox relevance and measurement APIs (Topics, FLEDGE and Attribution Reporting) is available in Chrome Beta.  We plan to ramp up to approximately 50% of the Chrome Beta population within the next two weeks.  We will continue to run the origin trial in Chrome Beta to evaluate the functionality of the APIs and the accompanying user controls.   Technical testing is an important first step in the origin trial process;  developers are encouraged to provide feedback on API functionality, documentation and ease of integration.  To get support, report issues, or provide feedback please see these resources for Topics, FLEDGE and Attribution Reporting.

We will provide updates soon on when we expect to advance the origin trial to Chrome Stable, with increased traffic volume to support additional testing.

John Delaney

May 23, 2022, 6:23:41 PM5/23/22
to blink-dev, John Delaney
The unified origin trial for the Privacy Sandbox Ads APIs is now at 50% of Chrome Beta population for FLEDGE and Attribution Reporting.  A stability issue was identified and fixed in Topics code, and we expect the API to be available to 50% of Chrome Canary and Chrome Dev by the end of today, and 50% of Beta users within a few days.  Reports from early testers help us identify and address such technical issues. This is to be expected in the early days of origin trials and the reason we proceed gradually.

We expect the origin trial to remain in Beta for at least a few more weeks to help us identify and address any additional issues.  Once we’re confident we’ve fixed any major open issues, we will provide an update with a timeline for moving the origin trial to Chrome Stable for expanded testing with a larger volume of traffic.  To get support, report issues, or provide feedback please see the resources for TopicsFLEDGE and Attribution Reporting

Josh Karlin

Jun 3, 2022, 1:23:13 PM6/3/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
The unified origin trial is also now at 50% of Chrome Beta for the Topics API as of May 27th.

Josh Karlin

Aug 10, 2022, 1:36:23 PM8/10/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
The unified origin trial will start ramping up to 1% of M104 Stable traffic tomorrow, August 11th.

Josh Karlin

Aug 10, 2022, 5:46:17 PM8/10/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
I should clarify that this stable push to m104 is for desktop only. Mobile is coming later.

Josh Karlin

Aug 11, 2022, 11:40:24 AM8/11/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
We've been asked if canary/dev/beta will continue to hold at 50% while stable is at 1%. Yes, the pre-stable channels will continue at 50%.

Josh Karlin

Aug 24, 2022, 8:30:31 AM8/24/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
Hey folks. Shared Storage's selectURL() operation will begin to ramp up on canary/dev/beta in the next 24 hours at 50%. Aggregate reporting is forthcoming.

Best,

Josh

Josh Karlin

Sep 1, 2022, 2:02:16 PM9/1/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
Hi folks. I wanted to bring your attention to a post from FLEDGE API Announce list today that impacts experimenters:

"We've discovered a bug in FLEDGE, so we are ramping down FLEDGE for Chrome Stable in the Privacy Sandbox Relevance and Measurement origin trial. Other APIs in the trial are unaffected.

We've identified a fix for the bug and are working to validate it and re-enable the origin trial for FLEDGE with the fix soon (roughly two weeks from now if all goes well)."

Best,

Josh

Josh Karlin

Sep 9, 2022, 3:01:55 PM9/9/22
to John Delaney, blink-dev
Topics, Fenced Frames, and Attribution Reporting are now ramping up to 1% on Android stable.

Josh

Paul Jensen

Sep 21, 2022, 11:59:11 AM9/21/22
to blink-dev, Josh Karlin, blink-dev, John Delaney
Hi folks. In regards to the FLEDGE bug and subsequent ramp down of FLEDGE for Chrome Stable, I wanted to bring your attention to a post from the FLEDGE API Announce list yesterday that impacts experimenters:

"We fixed the bug and are ramping the origin trial back up on desktop and Android, to make FLEDGE available for 1% of Stable users, on pages that provide a valid trial token, as the Topics and Attribution Reporting APIs are now."

Paul

Josh Karlin

Oct 18, 2022, 4:16:37 PM10/18/22
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev, John Delaney
Hey folks. The Private Aggregation API is now available within Shared Storage and FLEDGE worklets on canary/dev/beta at 50%.

Best,

Josh

Josh Karlin

Oct 18, 2022, 4:20:09 PM10/18/22
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev, John Delaney
Correction, the Private Aggregation API is available in canary/dev.

Josh

Josh Karlin

Oct 24, 2022, 12:09:31 PM10/24/22
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev, John Delaney
This week, no sooner than October 26, we will begin increasing the Privacy Sandbox Relevance and Measurement origin trial population towards 5% of Chrome Stable users for Attribution Reporting and Topics APIs. You can expect to see traffic levels increase over a period of a few days. Pre-stable channels, Canary and Beta, will continue as is with a 50/50 split for origin trial eligibility.

FLEDGE and Fenced Frames will increase to 5% starting on the 9th of November.

We will continue updating this thread as we proceed with these changes and there will be a matching blog post live shortly. You can also find more information on managing your participation in the origin trial in our developer documentation.

Josh

Josh Karlin

Nov 4, 2022, 12:33:51 PM11/4/22
to Paul Jensen, blink-dev, John Delaney
We are continuing to increase the Privacy Sandbox Relevance and Measurement origin trial population:
  • Attribution Reporting and Topics API's availability has increased to 5% of Chrome Stable users.
  • FLEDGE and Fenced Frames are on schedule to increase to 5% starting on the 9th of November.
  • Shared Storage’s selectURL API will also begin ramping up to 1% of Chrome Stable users on the 9th of November.
We will continue to post updates as we progress and, as always, you can find overall developer guidance on https://developer.chrome.com/docs/privacy-sandbox/unified-origin-trial/. You can sign up to the origin trial on https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/771241436187197441.

Josh

Alex Turner

Jan 11, 2023, 11:43:26 AM1/11/23
to blink-dev, Josh Karlin, blink-dev, John Delaney, Paul Jensen
Hi all,

The Private Aggregation API origin trial population has now increased to include 50% of Chrome Beta users.

Best,
Alex

Moiz Jani

Mar 28, 2024, 7:37:51 AMMar 28
to blink-dev, Alex Turner, Josh Karlin, blink-dev, John Delaney, Paul Jensen
M.Jani