Intent to Extend Origin Trial: Cross-origin opener policy reporting API

Camille Lamy

Sep 23, 2020, 10:17:29 AM9/23/20
to blink-dev

Contact emails

cl...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/camillelamy/explainers/blob/master/coop_reporting.md

Specification

https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5518

Design docs

https://github.com/camillelamy/explainers/blob/master/coop_reporting.md

Summary

Adds a reporting API to help developers deploy cross-origin opener policy.

Blink component

Blink>SecurityFeature

Search tags

COOPCOOP reporting

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is a new feature.

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Ergonomics

This feature will be used with cross-origin opener policy, and often with cross-origin embedder policy (in particular, its reporting API).

Activation

The feature requires developers to properly set up a reporting endpoint. However it helps adoption of COOP by providing a report-only mode that developers can use to check that their websites will not break when enabling COOP.

Security

The reporting API exposes that other pages tried to access cross-origin properties of the page.

Goals for experimentation

We want to gather feedback on whether the proposed data in the reports is helpful to developers to debug bugs with COOP.

Experimental timeline

M87-88

Reason this experiment is being extended

We could not get our partners to experiment with the APi and provide us with feedback in the short timeframe of the trial (1 release). We're extending it by 2 releases to get the trial to run 3 releases, which should be enough time to get feedback.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Debuggability

This should help with COOP debuggability as DevTools will be able to hook in the same places as we send reports and use this to surface useful information to developers trying to enable COOP.

No All platforms will be supported except Android WebView. The underlying COOP feature requires multiple renderer processes which Android WebView cannot provide.

No

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1059303

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5755687994916864