Intent to Extend Origin Trial: Pointer Lock Unadjusted Movement

James Hollyer

Oct 7, 2020, 7:10:56 PM10/7/20
to blin...@chromium.org

Title:

Intent to Extend Experiment: PointerLock unadjusted mouse movement

Body:

Contact emails

jamesh...@google.com

Spec

https://github.com/w3c/pointerlock/pull/49

Developer Guide

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17pvFMFqtAIx0ZA6zMZRU_A2-VnjhNX9QlN1Cgy-3Wdg/edit

Summary

An Origin Trial for PointerLock unadjusted mouse movement started in Chrome 81 and is scheduled to end in Chrome 87. I would like to extend this Origin Trial to end in 88.

The feature adds the ability to request unadjusted/unaccelerated mouse movement data when in PointerLock. If this unadjustedMovement is set to true, then the pointer movements will not be affected by the underlying platform modifications such as mouse acceleration.

Blink component

Blink>Input>PointerLock

Reason this experiment is being extended

New support for macOS and Chrome OS are being added in Chrome 86. There is also a new partner that has signed up just for the Chrome OS support. More information on whether macOS and ChromeOS implementations solve the use cases would be preferable before launch.  There is also more spec work that needs to be completed to ensure our due diligence with other browser vendors. Therefore I am requesting an extension of this origin trial for an additional milestone. I will shortly send an Intent to Ship in Chrome 88.

Goals for experimentation

Validate that the new platforms work as intended and solve the users need to get all the headshots.

Experimental timeline

Experiment continues until a week before the stable release of Chrome 88 instead of ending a week before the stable release of Chrome 87.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Compatibility risk is low as it’s adding new capability without affecting existing use cases.

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/448)

WebKit: No signal
  (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-October/031473.html)

Web developers: Positive. Initial feedback was for a way to change the option without losing the lock and for a Promise workflow. Both requests have been addressed and added and now feedback is all positive.

Note: Official requests were sent very recently. Awaiting responses to be included in Intent to ship.

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

No, they will simply return to getting mouse movement data that is currently being provided by mouse events.

Ongoing technical constraints

None.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

This feature has been implemented on Windows, Mac, and Chrome OS. Linux support will come when the migration to ASH is complete. This feature is not applicable to Android.

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/982379

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5723553087356928

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/qZ_STHiTDzU/m/agsdSkVpDgAJ

Intent to Experiment:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/EL_IQ4BKpT0/m/6iBHvyTmDQAJ

Intent to Extend Experiment:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/yQ4Rdkrit_g/m/Bz3nurb9AgAJ

Yoav Weiss

Oct 8, 2020, 5:29:24 AM10/8/20
to James Hollyer, blink-dev
Extending to M88 LGTM.

Note that any extensions beyond that would surpass the 6 milestones we typically let OTs last, so would require extra care to prevent burn in.