Intent to extend experimentation: Back/forward cache NotRestoredReason API

Daisuke Enomoto

Jan 20, 2023, 1:00:00 AM1/20/23
to blink-dev, bfcache-dev

We would like to extend the origin trial for 3 additional milestones, with the extension starting in 112 continuing through 114. The initial experiment was approved for the OT running from 109 through 111.

Contact emails

yu...@google.com, yu...@chromium.org, fer...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/NotRestoredReason.md

Design docs

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/NotRestoredReason.md

Summary

NotRestoredReason API reports the reasons why a page is not served from BFCache after a history navigation. The report is accessible via the PerformanceNavigationTiming API. The report attributes reasons to specific frames as much as possible, while respecting cross-origin security concerns.

Blink component

UI>Browser>Navigation>BFCache

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal:

WebKit: No signal:

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/navigation-timing/issues/171#issuecomment-1062672989)

Security

We do not report detailed information about cross-origin iframes. For cross-origin iframes, we only report if they blocked bfcache or not, and we do not report the reasons why.

Goals for experimentation

We would like developers to use the new field notRestoredReasons in performance navigation entry, e.g. performance.getEntriesByType('navigation')[0].notRestoredReasons;

The goal of the experiment is to gather feedback from developers about the API shape.

Reason this experiment is being extended

We had requested this Origin Trial to be run for 3 milestones, specifically from 109 to 111 without realizing the Origin Trial guideline suggesting 6 milestones. We would like to extend this OT for another 3 milestones or to 114 inclusive by applying the 6 milestone guidelines we originally missed, to give sufficient time for partners to give us feedback.

Debuggability

In DevTools console, try:

performance.getEntriesByType('navigation')[0].notRestoredReasons;

No

No

DevTrial instructions

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/experiments/not-restored-reasons.md

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/HowToTest.md

Flag name

--enable-experimental-web-platform-features

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1326344

Launch bug

https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4200848

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last (new request)

114

OriginTrial desktop last

111

OriginTrial desktop first

109

OriginTrial desktop last (new request)

114

OriginTrial Android last

111

OriginTrial Android first

109

OriginTrial webView last (new request)

114

OriginTrial webView last

111

OriginTrial webView first

109

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5684908759449600

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/os3qUVtqyWo/m/4cs6GCN5BAAJ

Intent to Experiment: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/ce4hr99dUDc/m/C4wYpnKiAwAJ

Read for Trial: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/7jBZLdt7EsY/m/KiTrSzbSBgAJ

Yoav Weiss

Jan 20, 2023, 9:25:33 AM1/20/23
to Daisuke Enomoto, blink-dev, bfcache-dev
LGTM to experiment till M114 (inclusive)