Ready for Trial: BFCache NotRestoredReasons API

Yuzu Saijo

Oct 11, 2022, 6:34:13 AM10/11/22
to blink-dev, bfcac...@chromium.org, Fergal Daly, Daisuke Enomoto

Contact emails

yu...@google.comyu...@chromium.orgfer...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/NotRestoredReason.md

Design docs

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/NotRestoredReason.md#security-and-privacy

Summary

NotRestoredReason API will report the list of reasons why a page is not served from BFcache in a frame tree structure, via PerformanceNavigationTiming API (and Reporting API in the future).

Blink component

UI>Browser>Navigation>BFCache

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/navigation-timing/issues/171#issuecomment-1062672989)

Other signals:

Security

We do not report detailed information about cross-origin iframes. For cross-origin iframes, we only report if they blocked bfcache or not, and we do not report the reasons why.

Goals for experimentation

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

In DevTools console, try: performance.getEntriesByType('navigation')[0].notRestoredReasons;

Yes

Yes

DevTrial instructions

https://github.com/rubberyuzu/bfcache-not-retored-reason/blob/main/HowToTest.md

Flag name

--enable-features=BackForwardCacheSendNotRestoredReasons

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1326344