Intent to Prototype: GamePad multitouch extension

Bradley Needham

Dec 19, 2022, 1:27:40 PM12/19/22
to blink-dev
Contact emailsmattre...@chromium.org

Explainerhttps://github.com/bradleyneedham/gamepad/blob/multitouch-explainer/multitouch_explainer.md

Specificationhttps://knyg.github.io/gamepad/extensions.html#gamepadtouch-interface

Summary

Extend the Gamepad API to support multitouch surfaces (touchpads). Providing a touchpad API eases application implementation and provides greater functionality browser interoperability.

Blink componentBlink>GamepadAPI

Motivation

Gamepad Multitouch Extension Provide access to the touch interface available on modern gamepads by allowing developers to receive touch events generated by the gamepad. Modern gamepads support touch functionality, e.g. Sony DualSense®5, Steam deck and Steam Controllers, and Sony DualShock®4. The Standard Gamepad specification should be updated to include touchpad functionality, and the Gamepad API should be extended so that users with touch-enabled gamepads can use touch inputs on the web.

Initial public proposalhttps://github.com/w3c/gamepad/issues/34

TAG review

TAG review status
Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Debuggability

n/a

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests? No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?False

Tracking bughttps://crbug.com/1143942

Launch bughttps://crbug.com/1372607

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Statushttps://chromestatus.com/feature/4782975812108288

Links to previous Intent discussions

Alex Russell

Dec 19, 2022, 3:18:26 PM12/19/22
to Bradley Needham, blink-dev
This seems like a valuable extension, and something that I'd love for TAG feedback to be solicited on sooner rather than later, as we have a lot of precedent in the platform for multitouch inputs (e.g., Pointer Events API), and it would be great not to create incompatible types and techniques for handling them, particularly given that there's effort ongoing to implement the event-driven style of gampead API (IIRC).

Best,

Alex

Rick Byers

Dec 19, 2022, 3:45:37 PM12/19/22
to Alex Russell, Bradley Needham, blink-dev
Looks like a TAG review has been filed here: https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/799

FWIW, I was thinking the same thing, and was a little alarmed to see something new called a "touch event" :-).  But after reminding myself of the history of the PEWG design discussions and looking at the proposed spec, I personally think the proposal is fine. Happy to discuss further in the TAG issue or elsewhere if desired.

Rick