Intent to Implement: Gamepad Touchpad

steve....@sony.com

Sep 21, 2018, 7:57:08 PM9/21/18
to blink-dev

Contact emails

steve....@sony.com aixi...@sony.com kelvi...@sony.com

Explainer

Spec

https://knyg.github.io/gamepad/extensions.html

Summary

The Gamepad specification includes a description of the buttons and axes expected to be present on a standard gamepad. The Gamepad specification will be extended to describe the touchpads available on some gamepads and to add a new API that supports basic touch inputs.

Motivation

Support for gamepads with touchpads enables game developers to create game experiences that are not currently possible with the existing API.  A limited level of support could be provided via extending gamepad buttons and axes, but this solution would create more of a burden on the application side.  Additionally, without a specification, browser implementations can diverge creating inconsistency which creates an even greater burden for the application. Providing a specific touchpad API will ease application implementation while providing greater functionality.

Risks

As this is a new feature, the main risk is lack of adoption. However, this risk is mitigated because touch based gestures are typically a progressive enhancement of the user experience.

Yes.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4782975812108288

Requesting approval to ship?

No

Joe Medley

Sep 25, 2018, 3:17:52 PM9/25/18
to steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
Steve,

Do you have a tracking bug for this?
Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Navid Zolghadr

Sep 26, 2018, 12:19:50 PM9/26/18
to Joe Medley, steve....@sony.com, blink-dev
Is the link to the explainer doc correct? I don't seem to be able to open it due to permission issues and whatnot.
Is the just of the proposal captured in GamepadTouch interface?

I was going to ask whether you have looked at the event based only method for this type of input instead of attaching to the polling use cases in the gamepad? How about just sending the actual touch events to the page or just create a new PointerEvent type for this type of input from Gamepad? I believe if you leverage the existing mechanisms you will get more sites working with these right off the bat without any need for further modification from the developers and at the end it is easier for developers to just say PointerEvents and get all the benefits.

Ian Kilpatrick

Sep 26, 2018, 12:49:21 PM9/26/18
to nzol...@chromium.org, Joe Medley, steve....@sony.com, blink-dev

william...@sony.com

Jan 15, 2019, 1:38:01 PM1/15/19
to blink-dev
Updated the "Intent to Implement" to include a new contact and fixed the link to the Explainer document. I will be filing a TAG review issue shortly.

Contact emails

Joe Medley

Jan 15, 2019, 6:14:32 PM1/15/19
to william...@sony.com, blink-dev
Can someone please add a tracking bug to the Chrome Status entry?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Medley | Technical Writer, Chrome DevRel | jme...@google.com | 816-678-7195
If an API's not documented it doesn't exist.

Fernando Lerner Attia

May 14, 2019, 4:26:42 PM5/14/19
to blink-dev
Implementation patch (test feature) for this feature has been uploaded and is under review: https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1612050