Intent to Experiment: Dark mode support for web apps v2

Louise Brett

Nov 4, 2022, 2:24:09 AM11/4/22
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

loub...@google.comgle...@chromium.orgmgi...@chromium.org

Explainer

V2: https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045

Specification

Summary

Add a field to the web app manifest which allows apps to specify a different theme color and background color for dark mode.

Blink component

Blink>AppManifest

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/630)

WebKit: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045)

Web developers: No signals - Positive signals from v1 but no signals on the new format

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

Allow web developers to use this field and provide feedback on the new format.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The manifest format has significantly changed per https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045 to use CSS media queries. We would like to run a new OT to get feedback from web developers about this new format.

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

chrome://web-app-internals can be used for debugging, and this has been added to the DevTools Application pane.

No

Not supported on Android

No - the v2 format does not have web platform tests yet.

Flag name

chrome://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1318305

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1279284

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last114
OriginTrial desktop first109

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5714780426862592

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to prototype: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/Y6zNtG0f-6A
Intent to Experiment v1: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/ftoKq32Baz4
Intent to Extend Experiment v1: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/2c8msRrrcF0

Rick Byers

Nov 4, 2022, 10:46:38 AM11/4/22
to Louise Brett, Glenn Hartmann, blin...@chromium.org
On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 2:24 AM 'Louise Brett' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

loub...@google.comgle...@chromium.orgmgi...@chromium.org

Explainer

V2: https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045

Specification

Summary

Add a field to the web app manifest which allows apps to specify a different theme color and background color for dark mode.

Blink component

Blink>AppManifest

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/630)

WebKit: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045)

Note that to minimize risk of misunderstandings, only official WebKit standards position entries count as positive signals. It's not necessary for OT, but probably a good idea to get a position request filed ahead of a future I2S.

Web developers: No signals - Positive signals from v1 but no signals on the new format

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

Allow web developers to use this field and provide feedback on the new format.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The manifest format has significantly changed per https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045 to use CSS media queries. We would like to run a new OT to get feedback from web developers about this new format.

Switching to CSS MQ syntax is indeed a pretty significant change. LGTM to experiment M109-M114

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

chrome://web-app-internals can be used for debugging, and this has been added to the DevTools Application pane.

No

Not supported on Android

Has there been discussion with Android folks? Eg. +Glenn Hartmann? Ideally we'd ship support for all OSes at the same time, but at a minimum we'll want to make sure the design we ship for desktop is also reasonable for mobile in the future.

[...]

Rick Byers

Nov 4, 2022, 11:40:58 AM11/4/22
to Louise Brett, Glenn Hartmann, blin...@chromium.org
Sorry, I missed that Chris already approved this in a duplicate thread: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/WqIBRabU3C0

Louise Brett

Nov 6, 2022, 5:52:38 PM11/6/22
to blink-dev, rby...@chromium.org, blin...@chromium.org, Louise Brett, hart...@chromium.org
On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 2:40:58 AM UTC+11 rby...@chromium.org wrote:
Sorry, I missed that Chris already approved this in a duplicate thread: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/WqIBRabU3C0
Sorry its slightly confusing, they are different - that other thread was to extend the current OT to avoid a gap before this one with the new syntax starts.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 10:46 AM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Ah good to know, thanks. I'll get onto filing that.

Web developers: No signals - Positive signals from v1 but no signals on the new format

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Goals for experimentation

Allow web developers to use this field and provide feedback on the new format.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The manifest format has significantly changed per https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045 to use CSS media queries. We would like to run a new OT to get feedback from web developers about this new format.

Switching to CSS MQ syntax is indeed a pretty significant change. LGTM to experiment M109-M114
Thanks!

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

chrome://web-app-internals can be used for debugging, and this has been added to the DevTools Application pane.

No

Not supported on Android

Has there been discussion with Android folks? Eg. +Glenn Hartmann? Ideally we'd ship support for all OSes at the same time, but at a minimum we'll want to make sure the design we ship for desktop is also reasonable for mobile in the future.
There hasn't been any recent discussion - I'll reach out to the Android folks.

Rick Byers

Nov 7, 2022, 10:03:42 AM11/7/22
to Louise Brett, blink-dev, hart...@chromium.org
On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 5:52 PM Louise Brett <loub...@google.com> wrote:

On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 2:40:58 AM UTC+11 rby...@chromium.org wrote:
Sorry, I missed that Chris already approved this in a duplicate thread: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/WqIBRabU3C0
Sorry its slightly confusing, they are different - that other thread was to extend the current OT to avoid a gap before this one with the new syntax starts.

Ah, sorry for my misunderstanding. Makes sense. Still LGTM
Thank you.

Thomas Steiner

Nov 23, 2022, 11:34:33 AM11/23/22
to blink-dev, rby...@chromium.org, blink-dev, hart...@chromium.org, Louise Brett
The v2 explainer https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/1045 is very confusing, as several syntaxes are being discussed there. For the origin trial https://developer.chrome.com/origintrials/#/view_trial/2057019129801474049, it would be great if there was a code sample of the finally implemented syntax. Could this be added?

Louise Brett

Nov 23, 2022, 6:43:13 PM11/23/22
to blink-dev, Thomas Steiner, rby...@chromium.org, blink-dev, hart...@chromium.org, Louise Brett
Thanks Thomas - I've just added a comment there.

Louise Brett

Apr 27, 2023, 2:38:03 AM4/27/23
to blink-dev, Louise Brett, Thomas Steiner, rby...@chromium.org, blink-dev, hart...@chromium.org
M114 has recently branched which is the last milestone with this OT enabled. The feedback from the trial showed there was very little interest so we are just going to let it expire.

Let me know if you want to chat further about this.