Intent to Prototype: Dark mode support for web apps

Louise Brett

Nov 19, 2021, 1:51:05 AM11/19/21
to Matt Giuca, gle...@chromium.org, blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

loub...@google.comgle...@chromium.orgmgi...@chromium.org

Explainer

None yet

Specification

Summary

Add a field to the web app manifest which allows apps to specify a different theme color and background color for dark mode.

Blink component

Blink

Motivation

Currently in the web app manifest, only a single theme color and background color can be defined. This means there is no way for apps to specify a different color to use for dark mode.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/975

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Debuggability

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1271804

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5714780426862592

Mathias Bynens

Nov 19, 2021, 2:12:37 AM11/19/21
to Louise Brett, Matt Giuca, gle...@chromium.org, blin...@chromium.org, Changhao Han, jo...@chromium.org
On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:51 AM 'Louise Brett' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

[...]

Please don’t leave this field empty. There’s some guidance over here, in case it helps: https://goo.gle/devtools-checklist

E.g. DevTools already supports emulating prefers-color-scheme: light/dark — I wonder if that feature should also toggle these proposed theme color changes. WDYT?

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1271804

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5714780426862592

Thomas Steiner

Nov 19, 2021, 2:44:17 AM11/19/21
to Louise Brett, Matt Giuca, blin...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org
On Fri 19. Nov 2021 at 07:51 'Louise Brett' via blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

Contact emails

loub...@google.comgle...@chromium.orgmgi...@chromium.org

Explainer

None yet

Specification

Summary

Add a field to the web app manifest which allows apps to specify a different theme color and background color for dark mode.

Blink component

Blink

Motivation

Currently in the web app manifest, only a single theme color and background color can be defined. This means there is no way for apps to specify a different color to use for dark mode.

Initial public proposal

https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/975

There are a lot of proposals that were discussed in this Issue. Which one are you planning on going with? Do we have consensus on one?

TAG review

TAG review status

Pending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Based on the engaged discussion in the present linked above and earlier Issues I think it’s fair to say Web developers want this.

Other signals:

Debuggability

No

Flag name

Requires code in //chrome?

True

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1271804

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5714780426862592

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado

Louise Brett

Nov 22, 2021, 1:39:10 AM11/22/21
to blink-dev, Thomas Steiner, Matt Giuca, blin...@chromium.org, gle...@chromium.org, Louise Brett
> Please don’t leave this field empty. There’s some guidance over here, in case it helps: https://goo.gle/devtools-checklist
Thanks for the links, I’ll make sure to fill this in for the next intent email. Since this is adding to the manifest, the DevTools Application tab and chrome://web-app-internals can be used for debugging.

> E.g. DevTools already supports emulating prefers-color-scheme: light/dark — I wonder if that feature should also toggle these proposed theme color changes. WDYT?
Hmm, that’s interesting. My initial thought is that may be confusing if it changes more than the CSS, but I’m open to hearing others opinions.

> There are a lot of proposals that were discussed in this Issue. Which one are you planning on going with? Do we have consensus on one?
The current proposal is this one: https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/975#issuecomment-960222756, it matches the current translations proposal.

Thomas Steiner

Nov 22, 2021, 3:40:32 AM11/22/21
to Louise Brett, blink-dev, Thomas Steiner, Matt Giuca, gle...@chromium.org
> There are a lot of proposals that were discussed in this Issue. Which one are you planning on going with? Do we have consensus on one?
The current proposal is this one: https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/975#issuecomment-960222756, it matches the current translations proposal.

Thanks for the clarification, this is also what Aaron has published on his blog. I can certainly live with this solution.