Automated Tool For Identifying Commit that Caused the Regression Bug

sangeeta lal

Jun 24, 2015, 2:29:06 AM6/24/15
to chromium-dev
Dear Chromium Team,

I am Sangeeta, PhD scholar working in the area of automated software engineering. I am working towards building a tool which can automatically identify commit that have caused regression bug in the software.
However I am not sure, whether this kind of tool is actually desired or not. Can you please tell whether this tool will help developers or not.

Thank You

--
Regards...
Sangeeta

Rouslan Solomakhin

Jun 24, 2015, 3:01:50 AM6/24/15
to sangee...@gmail.com, chromium-dev

Primiano Tucci

Jun 24, 2015, 8:21:22 AM6/24/15
to Rouslan Solomakhin, sangee...@gmail.com, chromium-dev
Also, if we are talking about a performance regression, not strictly a functional bug, this is the workflow we follow

sangeeta lal

Jul 1, 2015, 6:28:17 AM7/1/15
to Michael Hablich, Primiano Tucci, Rouslan Solomakhin, inf...@chromium.org, chromium-dev
Dear Mr. Hablich,

Please let me know who is Mr. Abhishek Arya? and how can I contact him?

Thank You

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Michael Hablich <hab...@google.com> wrote:
adding +Abhishek Arya who might be interested in this.

Chris Blume

Jul 1, 2015, 11:40:49 AM7/1/15
to sangee...@gmail.com, Primiano Tucci, inf...@chromium.org, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin

I should have mentioned, I began writing this a while ago. Let me know if you need help.

I struggle with the two options mentioned.

The first one is awesome in that it downloads builds. This makes the bisect MUCH faster. But it also doesn't seem to have a target for Android since Clank was added back into Chromium.

The second one I can't seem to get working.

The code I wrote will do the bisect for you while you sleep, checking results of tests and looking for a number below the threshold. However, it doesn't download prebuilt binaries and doesn't go into blink/Skia/v8 roolups. Also it doesn't support multiple devices yet.

sangeeta lal

Jul 1, 2015, 1:05:03 PM7/1/15
to Chris Blume, Primiano Tucci, inf...@chromium.org, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin
Dear Mr. Blume,

I am currently working towards building a tool which can statically identify regression causing commit. PFA- is the recent work that some of my team members have done. I am working towards improving the tool proposed in this paper.

Please give your feedback!

Thank You
manisha.pdf

sangeeta lal

Jul 1, 2015, 1:19:16 PM7/1/15
to Chris Blume, Primiano Tucci, inf...@chromium.org, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin
Also can I get some basic training for running your tool.

Thanks!

Abhishek Arya

Jul 1, 2015, 1:36:29 PM7/1/15
to sangeeta lal, Chris Blume, Primiano Tucci, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin, Shuotao Gao, Anantha Keesara
Hi Sangeeta,

On ClusterFuzz fuzzing framwork, we do regression analysis using binary bisect algo to come up with a narrow regression range. We archive all lkgr builds, and get ~5-10 per day. That gives us a pretty narrow range of 30-50 revisions. After that, we use FindIt tool to make a judgement on the culprit changelist, see this for more info.

Cheers,
Abhishek

sangeeta lal

Jul 1, 2015, 2:05:08 PM7/1/15
to Abhishek Arya, Chris Blume, Primiano Tucci, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin, Shuotao Gao, Anantha Keesara
Thank you all of you. I will get back after reading all the codes and algorithm.

Chris Blume

Jul 1, 2015, 2:12:36 PM7/1/15
to sangeeta lal, Abhishek Arya, Primiano Tucci, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin, Shuotao Gao, Anantha Keesara
I have attached the tool I wrote.
I should be clear: It was thrown together with no intent to actually maintain it or add it to Chromium. It should be replaced with something that is good.

I work on the Chrome for Android team so there are a lot of bits which deal with Android.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully, it is pretty strait forward.

Chris Blume |
 Software Engineer | cbl...@google.com | +1-614-929-9221
build.sh
entry_point.cc
HOW_TO_USE

sangeeta lal

Jul 2, 2015, 12:48:18 AM7/2/15
to Chris Blume, Abhishek Arya, Primiano Tucci, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin, Shuotao Gao, Anantha Keesara
Thanks! all of you!!

sangeeta lal

Jul 3, 2015, 12:27:41 AM7/3/15
to Chris Blume, Abhishek Arya, Primiano Tucci, Michael Hablich, chromium-dev, Rouslan Solomakhin, Shuotao Gao, Anantha Keesara
Dear Chromium Developers,

I am very interested to work on this tool and improving it. but I want to know from your side, as in which condition this tool fails. What are the challenges and what features you would like me to add in this.

Thank you