Intent to Prototype: Japanese Phrase Line Breaking

Koji Ishii

Jul 3, 2023, 1:52:55 AM7/3/23
to blink-dev, Myles C. Maxfield, Florian Rivoal, fantasai

Contact emails

ko...@chromium.org

Explainer

None

Specification

https://drafts.csswg.org/css-text-4/#word-boundaries

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QyPza8XS4aaYD-yA1MHYx56Hy7DZuEm9cAH-A6lTu8c/edit?usp=sharing

Summary

Changes the line breaking rules for Japanese to keep natural phrases (of multiple words) together, by using the AdaBoost ML technology to determine the natural phrase boundaries. In Japanese, this boundary is called "Bunsetu". In CSS, this feature adds a new value to the `word-break` property[1]: ``` word-break: auto; ``` [1] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7193#issuecomment-1611772475

Blink component

Blink>Layout>Inline

Motivation

None

Initial public proposal

None

TAG review

None

TAG review status

Not applicable

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: Positive (https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7193#issuecomment-1586696215)

Web developers: Positive (https://github.com/google/budoux) The original JS/Python implementation has 940 stars and used by several sites. Searching "BudouX" hits ~8k as of June 2023. Also it's ported to rust/go/C++ and more, and the C++ port is integrated into ICU at https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-22100

Other signals:

WebView application risks

Debuggability

No. The exact boundaries are UA-dependent and that they are not testable, but CSS parser and some obvious cases are testable.

Flag name on chrome://flags

Finch feature name

None

Non-finch justification

None

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1443291

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

Anticipated spec changes

Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to known github issues in the project for the feature specification) whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g., changing to naming or structure of the API in a non-backward-compatible way).

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7193 https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/8974

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5133892532568064

Links to previous Intent discussions

fantasai

Jul 5, 2023, 8:20:03 PM7/5/23
to blin...@chromium.org
Prototyping seems fine, but be aware there's a very strong chance the syntax
for this will change, and that various edge cases and fallback behaviors will
be more strongly defined.

~fantasai

On 7/3/23 01:52, Koji Ishii wrote:

> [...]
> non-backward-compatible way).
>
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7193
> <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7193>https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/8974 <https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/pull/8974>
>

> Link to entry on the Chrome Platform Status
>
> https://chromestatus.com/feature/5133892532568064
> <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5133892532568064>
>

> Links to previous Intent discussions
>

> This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
> <https://chromestatus.com/>.

> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAHe_1dJBouY10zVrouYbpGnokj65Jz4Qjuh3UMcS477u2Q9uqw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAHe_1dJBouY10zVrouYbpGnokj65Jz4Qjuh3UMcS477u2Q9uqw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Koji Ishii

Jul 6, 2023, 3:41:40 AM7/6/23
to fantasai, blin...@chromium.org, Myles C. Maxfield, Florian Rivoal
Thank you for the feedback.

Myles@webkit and I have started implementing this, but yes, we both are aware that the resolution:
> RESOLVED: remove auto () from word-boundary-detection, add keyword to word-break for this functionality

doesn't clearly say what the keyword name is, and the spec update is coming in a week:
> florian: so even though this is on my back burner, I will be able to within the week

Thank you for your support. We're happy to try to match the spec when it's updated.

There are some implementation challenges too, but if things go well, I hope I can ship this in Q3-Q4 this year.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/877984ef-0f87-7f9e-835b-976627badadb%40inkedblade.net.