PSA: The chromium.webkit waterfall is going away, tryserver.blink builders are being renamed

Dirk Pranke

Jun 18, 2018, 11:10:22 AM6/18/18
to blink-dev, Robert Ma, Quinten Yearsley, Ryan Tseng
Hi all,

I've long meant to move the tests that run on the chromium.webkit waterfall onto builders on the other waterfalls (chromium.mac, chromium.win, etc.) to consolidate builds and reduce the number of builders we need to monitor.

Doing this now means that we don't actually have to migrate these to LUCI, so better to do this now than later.

I've already started this work, so all of the builders that were redundant with builders on the other waterfalls have been removed, and all of the test suites on those builders moved over.

There are a few builders (like the retina builder, and the leak detector builder) that were not redundant, and those will actually be migrated to new builders on the other waterfalls.

I will also be flipping the Win10 builds from 32-bit to 64-bit, because it's embarrassing that we only have 32-bit coverage on Windows and we don't actually test 32-bit Win10 on the other waterfalls. This will mean that we don't have any 32-bit Win10 coverage, but so far that hasn't been an issue w/ the other test suites.

tryserver.blink will remain more-or-less as it was and be migrated over, though I'm renaming the builders from 'win7_blink_rel' to 'win7-blink-rel' to be consistent with the new builder naming scheme in bit.ly/chromium-build-naming. Right now both sets of builder names are present (to keep from breaking existing CLs) but I will probably remove the old builder names in a week or so.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. In theory this should be mostly transparent to you and we shouldn't lose any coverage, but it's been a while since I've done a lot of stuff w/ the layout tests so let me know if I missed things and you see bugs or weirdness.

Cheers,

-- Dirk

Christian Biesinger

Jun 18, 2018, 4:16:10 PM6/18/18
to Dirk Pranke, blink-dev, Robert Ma, Quinten Yearsley, Ryan Tseng
Will the renamed builder cause any issues with the flakiness
dashboard? That is will builds under the new names show up separately
from the old name?

Christian

Dirk Pranke

Jun 18, 2018, 4:26:45 PM6/18/18
to Christian Biesinger, blink-dev, Robert Ma, Quinten Yearsley, Ryan Tseng
Yes, unfortunately. We don't have a way to migrate the history.

-- Dirk

Robert Ma

Jun 18, 2018, 4:30:41 PM6/18/18
to Dirk Pranke, Christian Biesinger, blink-dev, Quinten Yearsley, hin...@chromium.org
The impact will hopefully be minimal, because the renamed bots are tryserver.blink bots mostly used for rebaselining CLs, so I don't think the history is particularly useful (even less so than CQ trybots, and of course much less so than waterfall bots).

Christian Biesinger

Jun 18, 2018, 4:35:57 PM6/18/18
to Robert Ma, Dirk Pranke, blink-dev, Quinten Yearsley, Ryan Tseng
Oh I see, thanks for the explanation!

Christian

Dirk Pranke

Jun 18, 2018, 4:48:50 PM6/18/18
to Christian Biesinger, Robert Ma, blink-dev, Quinten Yearsley, Ryan Tseng
Well, the remaining chromium.webkit waterfall bots will also get renamed as part of the migration onto LUCI. I'd like to rename them sooner or later, and now seems as good a time as any, but if anyone strongly objects, let's discuss.

-- Dirk