Intent to Extend Experiment: Web app launch handler

Alan Cutter

Jun 9, 2022, 2:16:23 AM6/9/22
to blink-dev

Contact emails
alanc...@chromium.org

Original I2E
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/wNOClobsLrs

Explainer
https://github.com/WICG/sw-launch/blob/main/launch_handler.md

Specification
In progress: https://github.com/WICG/sw-launch/pull/58

Summary
Adds a "launch_handler" app manifest member that enables web apps to customise their launch behaviour across all types of app launch triggers (start menu launch, link capture, share target, etc.).

Example usage:
{
  "name": "Example app",
  "start_url": "/index.html",
  "launch_handler": {
    "route_to": "existing-client-navigate"
  }
}

This will cause all launches of the Example app to focus an existing app window and navigate it (if it exists) instead of always launching a new app window.

Blink component
Blink>AppManifest

TAG review

TAG review status
Closed. Satisfied to see this move ahead but keeping in mind compatibility with the MiniApp lifecycle.

Risks:
Interoperability and Compatibility
 - Gecko: No signal
 - WebKit: No signal
 - Web developers: Strong positive signals on the previous Declarative Link Capturing origin trial, strong positive signals from the origin trial so far.

Experiment Summary
Web App Launch Handler Origin Trial 1 Developer Feedback

Experiment Goals
 - Test the new syntax with "existing_client_navigate" removed.
 - Give more opportunities to gather feedback on the "route_to": "existing-client-retain" behaviour that wasn't present in the DLC origin trial.

Experiment Timeline
Previous: M97 to M102.
Requested: M103 to M108.

Reason this experiment is being extended
The shape of the API changed to address TAG feedback on default behaviours.

No, desktop only.

No, this requires browser_tests as it involves managing windows.
Have raised an issue with testdriver.js for web app specific support.

Flag name
chrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-launch-handler
kWebAppEnableLaunchHandler

Tracking bug
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1231886

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5722383233056768

Previous blink-dev threads
 - Since that thread there is now a spec draft in review and a request for position from WebKit.

 - Alan Cutter

Yoav Weiss

Jun 9, 2022, 4:00:36 AM6/9/22
to Alan Cutter, blink-dev
Thanks for making significant progress on the spec PR and position requests! :)

As we're now extending OTs in 3 milestone increments, LGTM to continue experimenting M103-M105 (inclusive).
If you're planning to experiment beyond that, it'd be great to show even more progress for your next extension request (e.g. landing the PR)

Alan Cutter

Jun 10, 2022, 1:12:37 AM6/10/22
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Alan Cutter
On Thursday, 9 June 2022 at 6:00:36 pm UTC+10 Yoav Weiss wrote:
Thanks for making significant progress on the spec PR and position requests! :)
Thanks!

As we're now extending OTs in 3 milestone increments, LGTM to continue experimenting M103-M105 (inclusive).

I made a small error in my experiment timeline ranges, the existing origin trial was extended to M103 which brought it in line with the new process' 6 milestone duration (M97 to M103). Could the extension be from M104 to M106?

Yoav Weiss