Request to Extend Experiment: Web app launch handler

Alan Cutter

Apr 25, 2022, 11:18:11 PM4/25/22
to blink-dev, Ibrahim Karahan, Thomas Steiner

Contact emails

alanc...@chromium.org

Original I2E

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/wNOClobsLrs

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/sw-launch/blob/main/launch_handler.md

Summary

Adds a "launch_handler" app manifest member that enables web apps to customise their launch behaviour across all types of app launch triggers (start menu launch, link capture, share target, etc.). Example usage: { "name": "Example app", "start_url": "/index.html", "launch_handler": { "route_to": "existing-client-navigate" } } This will cause all launches of the Example app to focus an existing app window and navigate it (if it exists) instead of always launching a new app window.

Blink component

Blink>AppManifest

TAG review

TAG review status

Closed. Satisfied to see this move ahead but keeping in mind compatibility with the MiniApp lifecycle.

Risks:

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal
Web developers: Strong positive signals on the previous Declarative Link Capturing origin trial, strong positive signals from the origin trial so far.

Experiment Summary

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t60YeQ-d-FSr9i91jvylW6sA7_R4jDnX1G4_PDfssYE/edit?usp=sharing

Experiment Goals

 - Test the new syntax with "existing_client_navigate" removed.

 - Give more opportunities to gather feedback on the "route_to": "existing-client-retain" behaviour that wasn't present in the DLC origin trial.

Experiment Timeline

Previous: M97 to M102.

Requested: M103 to M108.

Reason this experiment is being extended

The shape of the API changed to address TAG feedback on default behaviours.

No, desktop only.

No, this requires browser_tests as it involves managing windows.

Flag name

chrome://flags/#enable-desktop-pwas-launch-handler

kWebAppEnableLaunchHandler

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=955620

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1222742

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5704553745874944

Previous blink-dev threads

 - Alan Cutter

Yoav Weiss

Apr 27, 2022, 6:14:05 AM4/27/22
to Alan Cutter, Jason Robbins, blink-dev, Ibrahim Karahan, Thomas Steiner
Hey Alan!

Our policy on Origin Trial extensions recently changed, and we now require to see significant progress on various shipping-related work before approving extensions (for 3 milestones at a time).
Have y'all started working on a spec, signal requests, WPTs, etc?

Since the policy change is recent, we may be able to provide affordances (e.g. a 1 milestone extension) to enable you to catch up on such work if you haven't done that yet.

Aside: It seems like this thread was not picked up by our tooling due to using the wrong title ("Request" rather than "Intent") and a mismatched Chrome Status entry.

Have you tried testing this with TestDriver? If that's not possible, it may be interesting to file bugs to enable the missing functionality.

Alan Cutter

Apr 28, 2022, 2:36:16 AM4/28/22
to blink-dev, Yoav Weiss, blink-dev, Ibrahim Karahan, tste...@google.com, Alan Cutter, jrob...@google.com
On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 8:14:05 pm UTC+10 Yoav Weiss wrote:
Hey Alan!

Our policy on Origin Trial extensions recently changed, and we now require to see significant progress on various shipping-related work before approving extensions (for 3 milestones at a time).
Have y'all started working on a spec, signal requests, WPTs, etc?

Since the policy change is recent, we may be able to provide affordances (e.g. a 1 milestone extension) to enable you to catch up on such work if you haven't done that yet.

Oof, wasn't expecting this. Thanks for the helpful links, I've reprioritised my immediate workload to have this spec progress happen sooner. The 1 milestone extension would be appreciated in the meantime.
So far all I have is an explainer, positive dev feedback, TAG approval and crickets on a request for Mozilla position.
I will spin up on getting a draft spec written (re-requesting a spec mentor as my existing one went on extended leave) and reach out for more feedback from the spec community.

Aside: It seems like this thread was not picked up by our tooling due to using the wrong title ("Request" rather than "Intent") and a mismatched Chrome Status entry.

My bad; the dangers of copy paste. D:
I wasn't able to find a clean template on chromestatus.com but I might be holding the tool wrong.

Corrected version:

Thanks for the pointer, this doesn't have the capabilities for testing this behaviour. I've filed https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues/33835 to see if they think it's viable.

Ibrahim Karahan

Apr 28, 2022, 12:25:48 PM4/28/22

[...]