I2E requirements for Finch trials

Mike Taylor

Jan 20, 2022, 5:19:42 PM1/20/22
to blink-api-owners-discuss
Hi owners,

I'm wondering what the desired requirements are for running Finch
experiments where we enable a post-I2P / pre-I2S feature for some
percentage of (pre-)release users. Does this require an Intent to
Experiment? When I read
https://www.chromium.org/blink/launching-features, it seems to focus
entirely on Origin Trials.

Assuming other non-Chrome Chromium browsers have their own
experimentation frameworks, would we ask for I2Es for those as well?

thanks,
Mike

Chris Harrelson

Jan 20, 2022, 7:46:20 PM1/20/22
to Mike Taylor, blink-api-owners-discuss
Yes, a Finch experiment on stable requires an I2S or an OT variant w/I2E. And of course a Finch experiment is not the typical way to do things, so it would need an explanation of why Finch is the appropriate method in these cases. We have had examples of that in the past and that's what we decided. An experiment with API changes on beta needs approval from the API owners but not necessarily the blink-dev formalities.

Outreach to Chromium browsers is not required, but you can feel free to do it if you want.

Chris

p.s. If you are willing, could you add text to launching-features for this case?

Mike Taylor

Jan 20, 2022, 7:49:14 PM1/20/22
to Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Thanks Chris.

And yes, happy to add some text to clarify this (in a few days, in case others want to comment).

Alex Russell

Jan 21, 2022, 12:59:39 AM1/21/22
to Mike Taylor, Chris Harrelson, blink-api-owners-discuss
Clarification here would be helpful. Thanks for doing it, Mike!