Announcement: Gerrit becoming default code review

Aaron Gable

Jun 23, 2017, 10:51:58 AM6/23/17
to Chromium-dev, blink-dev
Hey Chromium devs!

tl;dr: on Thursday, July 6, Gerrit will become the default code review system for chromium/src.git

It's been coming for a while, and we are proud to announce that we're finally ready to make Gerrit the default code review system for Chromium. Over the last few weeks of dogfood we've received and resolved a lot of great feedback from all of you: we've significantly improved the accessibility story for navigating code reviews with a screenreader, made it easier to collaborate with other developers via `git cl patch`, and improved the speed and reliability of editing the commit message via the web UI. In those same weeks, usage of Gerrit has organically grown to be over half of all commits in Chromium:
commits.png
So on Thursday, July 6, this change will land. Once your checkout syncs to that CL, all changes will upload to Gerrit by default.

If you would like to join the >50% of your coworkers already using Gerrit before the date of the switch, simply run `git config gerrit.host true` in your src.git checkout.

Once the default changes, any changes that you already have under review on Rietveld will of course continue to upload to Rietveld. If you need an escape hatch for any reason, you can use `git cl upload --rietveld` to bypass the default, and then please file a bug letting us know why you couldn't use Gerrit for that change. We plan to stay in this hybrid world for only 3 weeks, and will make Rietveld refuse all uploads of new changes to src.git on July 26. During that time, we will also be migrating all remaining repositories off of Rietveld, and plan to turn it completely read-only in late Q3.

Again, if you have any questions, please consult the FAQ and the contributing guide. If you have any problems with 'git cl upload', file a bug here; and if you have any problems with the Gerrit web interface, file a bug here.

Thank you again for all of your patience and for your amazing feedback,
Aaron

Aaron Gable

Jun 29, 2017, 5:41:53 PM6/29/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
Reminder: the default will switch one week from today!

Thanks to even more of you choosing to switch your default ahead of time, this week we've hit 59% of all Chromium commits being reviewed on Gerrit. If you want to join this ever-growing contingent before next Thursday, just run
git config gerrit.host true
in your src.git checkout.

See you next week!
Aaron

Aaron Gable

Jul 5, 2017, 6:29:17 PM7/5/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
One final reminder: this is happening tomorrow. The CL that I will be landing is here, the bug tracking the work is here, and I'll send another update after the change lands.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Gable

Jul 6, 2017, 2:07:59 PM7/6/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
This is now done! Thank you to everyone who switched their own personal default, who filed bugs, and who worked with us to make this switch happen.

You'll be hearing more from me in the coming weeks as we make Rietveld read-only, but for now, enjoy the new world of Gerrit!

Aaron

Ryan Landay

Jul 20, 2017, 1:12:03 PM7/20/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
Does “will make Rietveld refuse all uploads of new changes to src.git on July 26” mean that we won’t be able to upload updates to existing CLs, or only that we won’t be able to upload new CLs? I have a large CL in review on Rietveld that several reviewers of various parts have signed off on already, is stacked on several other CLs on Rietveld, and is unlikely to be landed by the deadline. Even if I’m able to upload changes to existing CLs, if I’m not able to upload new CLs, it may become difficult to respond to reviewer feedback if I’m e.g. requested to split something off into a separate CL.

Dirk Pranke

Jul 20, 2017, 2:35:02 PM7/20/17
to Ryan Landay, Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
At this point, everyone should be closing out their Rietveld CLs and cleaning up stragglers. If you have active CLs that are not ready to land, you need to move them to Gerrit ASAP and take the hit now.

-- Dirk

Aaron Gable

Jul 20, 2017, 2:40:17 PM7/20/17
to Ryan Landay, Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev, blink-dev
Great timing! I'm going to send the read-only 1 week warning announcement later today. The short version is that Rietveld will only refuse uploads of new changes (you can see the code to refuse them here). Pre-existing CLs will continue to work, accept new comments and patchsets, and be landable via the CQ. However, even that will go away by the end of the quarter.

If you have difficulty with splitting your changes, then it may be worthwhile to use "git cl issue 0 && git cl upload" to reupload all changes in the chain to Gerrit and continue from there.

Aaron