PolyGerrit code review coming soon to a chromium/src near you!

Aaron Gable

Feb 27, 2017, 1:30:37 PM2/27/17
to Chromium-dev
tl;dr: watch out for another PSA in two weeks, at which time you'll all be invited to use PolyGerrit, the new code review tool!

Details:
This is a follow-up to our previous July and October announcements about the transition from Rietveld to Gerrit. Things are progressing quickly, we're on track with our original timeline, and we expect to open up general dogfood for chromium/src.git soon.

Those prior PSAs speak well to the reasons that it is time to leave Rietveld behind and move on to better tooling. And the last few months of fishfood and dogfood usage -- by Skia, PDFium, Crashpad, Clusterfuzz, Infra, ChromeOS, V8, and many others -- have shown that PolyGerrit is nearly ready to be hammered on by the full force of the Chromium developer community. For example, we've already shown that PolyGerrit can upload, render, review, CQ, and land a 12,000-file change (a blink rebaseline), something that Rietveld can't even contemplate.

Over the next two weeks we're going to invite a few individuals and small teams to use PolyGerrit for their reviews in chromium/src. We'll also be closing out the last few bugs in our pre-Dogfood milestone to ensure that we have things ship-shape. Then assuming all goes well, general dogfood will begin in the week of March 13th.

We look forward to beginning dogfood soon!
Aaron, on behalf of the PolyGerrit team

Dirk Pranke

Feb 27, 2017, 1:51:37 PM2/27/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev
Nice! I'm very glad to see this milestone and our progress (particularly since I probably still hold the record for the number of large blink rebaselines landed :).

-- Dirk

Lei Zhang

Feb 27, 2017, 2:11:16 PM2/27/17
to Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev
Can you remind us where we can find a list of existing bugs and where
to file new bugs?

Aaron Gable

Feb 27, 2017, 2:23:14 PM2/27/17
to Lei Zhang, Aaron Gable, Chromium-dev
Sure! Since this was more of a heads-up, I was planning to save that for the full PSA in two weeks, but I can include it here. There are actually two bug lists, one for issues with PolyGerrit itself (file a bug here), and one for issues regarding Chromium's integration with PolyGerrit (things like git-cl, the commit queue, tryjob display, etc) (file a bug here). But don't worry about it too much, if you file an issue in the wrong place, we'll triage it into the right one.