Intent to Ship: EME Extension - Policy Check

Xiaohan Wang (王消寒)

Nov 30, 2018, 11:58:15 AM11/30/18
to blin...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, hben...@chromium.org

Contact emails

xhw...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/hdcp-detection/blob/master/explainer.md

Spec

Summary

Provide applications the ability to query whether a specific policy, e.g. HDCP requirement, can be enforced before requesting licenses.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/Okto6s417Q8

Also, link to “Intent to Experiment”:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/ITzZ_yx4bF8/jpEQNzgnBAAJ

Link to Origin Trial feedback summary

Netflix has tried the origin trial and are “happy with the API as it is”.

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

The API will be available on all platforms. However, the actual policy checks might not be available on certain platforms. For example, HDCP policy check will not be supported on Android and Android WebView. This is because we use MediaDrm API on Android where currently there is no way to check policy.

Demo link

In Chrome, “Experimental Web Platform features” needs to be enabled in chrome://flags. Both links use Widevine key system, so only works when Widevine is supported.

Debuggability

N/A

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This feature is optional so the interoperability and compatibility risk is small.

Edge: No signals

Firefox: In development

Safari: No signals

Web developers: Positive feedback from Netflix.

Ergonomics

N/A

Activation

N/A

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests? Link to test suite results from wpt.fyi.

https://crbug.com/905433 tracks the work to upstream existing layout test and add new test cases to WPT. This work is in progress.

Note that the test may depend on the HDCP status on the test machines which we cannot assert on.

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5652917147140096

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 4, 2018, 12:23:36 PM12/4/18
to Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Mounir Lamouri, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali
Hi Xiaohan,

Like for Intent to Ship: EME Encryption Scheme Query, I wonder if it would be acceptable to block this intent on having spec and test work for this merged? It seems to be a fairly small thing, and so not too much work to cross the t's and dot the i's?

Xiaohan Wang (王消寒)

Dec 4, 2018, 12:49:20 PM12/4/18
to Philip Jägenstedt, blin...@chromium.org, eri...@chromium.org, mlam...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, hben...@chromium.org
To clarify, by "spec work" I assume it's to create a version of the proposal that can be applied on the current spec. Is that correct?

It makes sense to me. I'll coordinate with Mounir and Joey to see what's the best way to do it. The test work is already underway.

Philip Jägenstedt

Dec 5, 2018, 6:44:17 AM12/5/18
to Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Mounir Lamouri, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali
Yeah, either a fork of the current spec with the changes applied, or a "delta" spec with just some partial interfaces, whichever makes the most sense for you.

A non-obvious reasons that having something spec-like is that it can then be discovered+scraped by https://github.com/tidoust/reffy, which then shows up in https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/tree/master/interfaces, providing some surface-level "does the method exist?" tests. MDN pages (example) also link to specs.

Mounir Lamouri

Jan 16, 2019, 1:51:40 PM1/16/19
to Philip Jägenstedt, Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali
The spec is now live here: https://wicg.github.io/hdcp-detection/

Owners, let us know if there is anything else you need :)

-- Mounir

Philip Jägenstedt

Jan 16, 2019, 2:06:42 PM1/16/19
to Mounir Lamouri, Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali
Spec and explainer line up, LGTM1 :)

Daniel Bratell

Jan 17, 2019, 5:35:21 AM1/17/19
to Mounir Lamouri, Philip Jägenstedt, Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali
LGTM2

/Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAARdPYfsBdDoNf_ZjWf3oWBT5%3DVo-10Nm6Kaf4MtLhtDEGqeQA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CET (UTC+1) */

Chris Harrelson

Jan 17, 2019, 11:59:39 AM1/17/19
to Daniel Bratell, Mounir Lamouri, Philip Jägenstedt, Xiaohan Wang, blink-dev, eri...@chromium.org, Chris Cunningham, joeyp...@chromium.org, Husain Bengali