Intent to Implement: hreftranslate attribute

Dave Tapuska

Aug 9, 2018, 12:35:18 PM8/9/18
to blink-dev
dtap...@chromium.org https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3870 Define ability to for a page author to hint to the UA's translation engine that a href should be translated if followed.
https://github.com/dtapuska/html-translate
In order to improve fidelity of browsing for a non-top language monolingual user, providing a way of triggering client side language translation is needed. Firefox: No public signals Edge: No public signals Safari: No public signals Web developers: No signals

Low interop risk provided user agents follow the spec pull request and don't allow publish the attribute in the IDL if it is not supported.
None
None
Yes https://crbug.com/872777 https://www.chromestatus.com/features/6298864638230528
No

PhistucK

Aug 10, 2018, 6:19:32 PM8/10/18
to Dave Tapuska, blink-dev
I had a hard time understand what this is supposed to do, so for those that also did not understand, I think it -
Tells the browser that the page the href attribute links to should be translated to a specific language by the browser translation feature.

So this is basically to maintain language consistency when the previous page knows for sure that it links to a page in a different language then the language the user expects/understands.

I hope it will come with an opt-out and/or smartiness like, if they user chose never to translate language X, it will be respected regardless of hreftranslate="Y", or if the user does not want to read machine-translated content at all (because it is not awesome for their language or for any other reason), no translation will be automatically employed.

Also, try not to advocate camelCased HTML attributes, this is not React or an old MSDN example. ;) :P

PhistucK

Daniel Bratell

Sep 4, 2018, 9:40:55 AM9/4/18
to Dave Tapuska, PhistucK, blink-dev
Looking beyond just implementing a prototype or proof of concept, I wonder if this will be able to reach the requirements we put on web platform additions. Will other browser engines implement it? Will web developers care about it? Will web developers be able to give the attribute the best possible value?

Today Chrome has language detection and integration with Google Translate, where I assume it learns what languages the user wants to read and what languages the user don't want to read. Will this attribute make that feature better?

/Daniel
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CABc02_K%2B1kYB1Bf%2B4A8GKF7cnKFDqL%3DSDV3ZLOWQU1EsJGN_%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CEST (UTC+2) */

Dave Tapuska

Nov 20, 2018, 9:47:59 AM11/20/18
to Daniel Bratell, PhistucK, blin...@chromium.org
I sent the intent to Experiment out today and I didn't respond to comments on this Intent to Implement. Sorry for the delay. Please use the Intent to Experiment for followup questions.

You can opt out of Chrome Translate feature entirely and it wouldn't look at the attribute. (Or you can opt out of languages as well and it should work).

The hrefTranslate attribute is camelCased in the spec (and experimental IDL) now. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think the requirements on web platform additions are such that other engines implement it. Yes this feature has a niche target market but we believe it really has effectiveness to deliver the principles of the web (linkable, discoverable, decentralized) to markets that are underserved.

Yes the language detection mechanism should improve with this feature and our goal of experimentation is to prove that it is.

dave.