Intent to Experiment: HrefTranslate HTMLAnchor attribute

Dave Tapuska

Nov 20, 2018, 9:39:14 AM11/20/18
to blin...@chromium.org

Contact emails

dtap...@chromium.org, anth...@chromium.org

Spec

https://github.com/dtapuska/html-translate

Summary

Add a hrefTranslate atribute to the HTMLAnchorElement IDL. This attribute will be used for the Chrome Translate feature to detect the target language of the link.

The desire of this change is to improve UX of pages that are linked to online translation services as the translation is done server side as opposed to client side.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/hmASm1yhi5s

Goals for experimentation

We intend to run a finch trial on top of the origin trial to determine what the effectiveness of this change is. How many pages are read in the translated language vs how many times "Show Original" are clicked. The results of the finch trial will help us determine whether we should proceed with standardization or not.

We wish to track whether this leads to increased engagement of pages. If it makes the browser easier to use we will consider the path for standardization.

Experimental timeline

M72-M76

Any risks when the experiment finishes?

The feature is detectable (HTMLAnchorElement.prototype.hasOwnProperty('hrefTranslate')) so sites can determine based on that if they have specific features that require the usage of this.

Ongoing technical constraints

None

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)?

Yes

Link to entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/6298864638230528

Rick Byers

Nov 22, 2018, 10:11:18 AM11/22/18
to Dave Tapuska, blin...@chromium.org
LGTM to experiment

I know there's a bunch of debate on whether there's really need for a platform feature here. In my opinion, if we can show that even a single major site (Google property or otherwise) is able to use this to show increased engagement with the web in a way they haven't been able to otherwise, then that would make it important to spec and ship to me. A major focus for blink is helping the web work better in emerging markets, and I know language issues are still a major challenge there.