Intent to ship: PointerEvent.getPredictedEvents API

255 wyświetleń

Ella Ge

nieprzeczytany,
12 lut 2019, 13:29:0712.02.2019
do blink-dev, Navid Zolghadr, pc...@microsoft.com

Contact emails

eir...@chromium.org.com, nzol...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15NKd4s5BSEPXQZ1IJnm9zNzz7hltIRw0YOMlN5WoOzA/edit#

Spec

https://w3c.github.io/pointerevents/extension.html#extensions-to-the-pointerevent-interface

Summary

An API to return a few predicted events of the received pointerevents. This API enables apps like drawing app to draw the predicted line in advance, so users feel less latency.

The finch result for the prediction accuracy shows we predict pretty good result in 95% and ok result in 99%.

Link to “Intent to Implement” blink-dev discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!msg/blink-dev/CgFyxYikn6A/a7U2FRqJCgAJ;context-place=forum/blink-dev

Is this feature supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Demo link

Try the following test pages on chrome canary with chrome://flags/#enable-experimental-web-platform-features turned on.

eirage.github.io/PredictionTest

eirage.github.io/PredictionDemo (A slow motion video from this test page, red line is the predicted curve)

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is a new API so there’ll be no compatibility change.

Edge: No signals

Firefox: No signals

Safari: No signals

Web developers: No signals

Requesting approval to ship?

Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests? Link to test suite results from wpt.fyi.

external/wpt/pointerevents/extension/pointerevent_predicted_events_attributes-manual.html is the added test. It’s manual test only now because there is no main thread event queue for layout tests (crbug.com/770028).

Entry on the feature dashboard

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5765569655603200

--
Ella Ge

Daniel Bratell

nieprzeczytany,
14 lut 2019, 15:43:4014.02.2019
do blink-dev, Ella Ge, Navid Zolghadr, pc...@microsoft.com
Hi!

We (Chris, Yoav and I) just discussed this in the Blink API Owner meeting and I have a couple of questions.

A goal with the changes we do is that they move the web as a whole forward and then an important part is that we have input from the web standards community and other browser vendors. One of the missing steps here is the TAG review. Did anyone file for such a review or is it not needed for some reason?

Another part is that the intent says "no signals" from other vendors and from web developers. What kind of outreach has been done to solicit their feedback? I understood from Chris that the situation might be a bit better than it looks below?

/Daniel

/* Opera Software, Linköping, Sweden: CET (UTC+1) */

Bo Cupp

nieprzeczytany,
15 lut 2019, 12:36:2515.02.2019
do Daniel Bratell, blink-dev, Ella Ge, Navid Zolghadr
Another part is that the intent says "no signals" from other vendors and from web developers. What kind of outreach has been done to solicit their feedback?

With regards to the above, I'm a dev lead on the Edge team and have been following this work.  The pen as an input mechanism is important to Microsoft and some users are sensitive to the stroke lagging behind the pen.  Native apps have access to the Windows Ink stack which uses all sorts of cleverness to reduce latency, but the web is behind in this area.  To make the experience in web apps competitive with native apps we're interested in this specification and others...
  • This predicted pointer event spec (to reduce percieved latency)
  • Pointer events in workers combined with offscreen canvas (to improve responsives)
  • Low latency canvas (to further reduce latency by bypassing the OS compositor)
  • Raw pointer move events (to further reduce latency by drawing the latest input for the next frame to be presented)
In fairness for predicted pointer events if all the algorithms are doing is considering previous pointer events to make a prediction then this could be done in JS.  The benefit of the API as I see it is to provide additional insight from hardware when available or aligning with other prediction models used by the browser or OS components that are providing algorithms for prediction already.

TLDR; Edge is interested in shipping this API

Thanks!
Bo

Sent from Outlook