API proposal of adding custom action support to chrome.automation

Yuki Awano

May 31, 2017, 6:36:44 AM5/31/17
to apps-dev, Hiro Mitsuji, Laura Palmaro, David Tseng, Dominic Mazzoni, Junichi Uekawa, Satoru Takabayashi
Hi,

I would like to request an API review for adding custom action support to chrome.automation API.
Proposal is at the following URL.

This API proposal is to extend chrome.automation API.

PTAL. Thank you!

- Yuki

Yuki Awano

Jun 5, 2017, 8:40:09 PM6/5/17
to apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, dmaz...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org
ping.

Dominic Mazzoni

Jun 5, 2017, 10:58:12 PM6/5/17
to Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org
API proposal looks good. Since the automation API is not launched to stable I suspect we don't need a full API review like we do for shipping, stable extension APIs.

Yuki Awano

Jun 8, 2017, 6:25:14 AM6/8/17
to apps-dev, yaw...@chromium.org, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, dmaz...@chromium.org, Security Enamel
Thank you!

Are we good to go? Or do we need to wait Apps & Extensions approval and Security approval?

Dominic Mazzoni

Jun 8, 2017, 11:48:59 AM6/8/17
to Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, Security Enamel
I'd move ahead with the code review.

Yuki Awano

Jun 8, 2017, 9:09:27 PM6/8/17
to apps-dev, yaw...@chromium.org, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, dmaz...@chromium.org
Okay, let's go with the code review for this API.
I won't wait Apps & Extensions approval and Security approval for this API.

Apps & Extensions approvers, Security approvers, let us know if you have any concern or opinion for this.

Thanks,
Yuki

Emily Stark

Jun 8, 2017, 11:20:28 PM6/8/17
to Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, Security Enamel, dmaz...@chromium.org
(resending from chromium.org)

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Emily Stark <est...@google.com> wrote:
It looks like the thread got chopped off? I don't see any context for what this API is or if anyone from security has looked at it yet.

Yuki Awano

Jun 8, 2017, 11:42:46 PM6/8/17
to apps-dev, yaw...@chromium.org, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, dmaz...@chromium.org, est...@chromium.org
All posts are in this thread. ( https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/apps-dev/PwxzUPNAmsU/oit2c16wBAAJ )
I haven't quoted emails in my replies.

This API is for adding custom action support for chrome.automation API.
This is an extension for chrome.automation API.

In Android, an UI elements can expose custom actions for them.
For example, a sortable list can expose "Move up" and "Move down" action as custom actions.
This API will be used for exposing those information in chrome.automation API.

We got no response from security for this API.

Mustafa Emre Acer

Jun 9, 2017, 5:23:37 PM6/9/17
to Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, David Tseng, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, security-enamel, Dominic Mazzoni, Emily Stark
We got no response from security for this API.

Sorry for the delay. In general it looks good, but I left a comment on the doc.

Devlin Cronin

Jun 9, 2017, 5:27:11 PM6/9/17
to Mustafa Emre Acer, Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, David Tseng, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, security-enamel, Dominic Mazzoni, Emily Stark
This seems reasonable, and Dominic is much more familiar with this area than I, so I'll defer to him.

Yuki Awano

Jun 11, 2017, 9:57:48 PM6/11/17
to apps-dev, yaw...@chromium.org, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, dts...@chromium.org, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, securit...@chromium.org, dmaz...@chromium.org, est...@chromium.org, mea...@chromium.org
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 6:23:37 AM UTC+9, Mustafa Emre Acer wrote:
We got no response from security for this API.

Sorry for the delay. In general it looks good, but I left a comment on the doc.

Thank you. I replied to a comment on the doc.

Mustafa Emre Acer

Jun 12, 2017, 1:30:41 PM6/12/17
to Yuki Awano, apps-dev, mit...@chromium.org, lpal...@chromium.org, David Tseng, uek...@chromium.org, sat...@chromium.org, security-enamel, Dominic Mazzoni, Emily Stark
Security-wise this change doesn't add any new privileges to chrome.automation API, so LGTM.