Open Sourcing Akiban

rri...@akiban.com

Mar 25, 2013, 11:08:19 AM3/25/13
to akiba...@akiban.com

Posted  by Padraig O'Sullivan.

Today we open sourced Akiban Server. We've been working on this for quite some time and are excited that people can now easily follow us as we work on it. Open Source is something I enjoy being part of so I’ve been pushing for this day for a while now and I’m pretty psyched its finally here!

Development still takes place on Launchpad for now with a github mirror being updated on every commit. We host downloads on Launchpad (a new download will be available for our latest release soon) but also maintain RPM and DEB repositories.

For example, if you want to install Akiban on Ubuntu, its as simple as:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://software.akiban.com/apt-public/ lucid main"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install postgresql-client akiban-server

We have some preliminary documentation for our server available that is still very much a work in progress. It should be enough to get you going though.

I would like to stress that everything that we have developed in our core server has been open sourced. That includes things like:

spatial indexes
full text indexes (implemented using Lucene)
entity (or group) indexes
REST access
nested SQL (I noticed Ulf Wendel recently discussed something like this)

If you are interested, please follow our progress on github or join our mailing list if you have any questions. If you prefer real time interaction, hop on our IRC channel #akiban on irc.freenode.net.

fa...@itprovent.com

Nov 8, 2013, 3:16:38 AM11/8/13
to akiba...@akiban.com, rri...@akiban.com
Hello,
when do:
sudo apt-get update
get:
Err http://software.akiban.com lucid Release.gpg
Could not connect to software.akiban.com:80 (107.22.183.50), connection timed out
Fetched 2,317 kB in 2min 0s (19.3 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://software.akiban.com/apt-public/dists/lucid/Release.gpg Could not connect to software.akiban.com:80 (107.22.183.50), connection timed out

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

what should i do?

really need some help, thank u.

Nathan Williams

Nov 8, 2013, 11:19:26 AM11/8/13
to akiba...@akiban.com, fa...@itprovent.com
On Friday, November 8, 2013 at 3:16 AM, fa...@itprovent.com wrote:
> what should i do?

As mentioned in the other thread [1], this apt repo is no longer available.
You'll want to remove this repository from your system to get rid of this warning. The Ubuntu documentation [2] has a few simple steps for doing this.

-Nathan

[1] - https://groups.google.com/a/akiban.com/d/msg/akiban-user/Re_uNBTUP-s/2CTegKMn0QcJ
[2] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu#Removing_.26_Disabling_Repositories