Internationalization

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 14, 2010, 8:57:30 AM6/14/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There were some issues with the internationalization support of
the gtk plugin. If you'd like to ensure the 11.3 version is translated,
please review the respective PO file for your language which you
can find at:
https://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse-i18n/trunk/yast/

As an example, this would be the location of the PO file for the German
language:

https://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse-i18n/trunk/yast/de/po/yast2-gtk.de.po

Longer texts (that have more than 3-4 words) are used for the help text,
tooltips, or error messages. If you don't have much time, just skip those.

You have only a couple of days.

Cheers,
Ricardo

PS:

If you have never edited a PO file: don't panic. Any text editor can
do the job.
You can locate empty translations by searching for «msgstr ""». Also
search for translators marked with «#, fuzzy», and remove such comment
afterwards (to indicate you've reviewed it).
Ensure codeset is UTF-8 if you see strange characters.
Veteran translators use purposeful PO editors to speed up editing. Check
here: http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Guide#Translation_Tools .

Upload your material here: http://groups.google.com/group/yast2-gtk

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 14, 2010, 10:27:14 AM6/14/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com, christi...@googlemail.com
Hi there,

It looks like that major languages like French (fr), Spanish (es)
and Brazilian
Portuguese (pt_BR) are all fully translated already.

German isn't however. Chris, do you think you could review that one?

Here's some string ambiguity I noticed while reviewing the European
Portuguese file. In the future, I will try to improve the strings, or add
comments for translators. For now, some remarks:

"Upgrade Patches" may best be translated by "Apply Patches"

"(uploaded last 7 days)" may be translated as "(7 days old)"
(when "upload" isn't easily translatable.)

String like "Installed", "Available", "Upgradable" and "Modified" are used in
the side-bar, and should be translated in the plural form (when available).
"Upgradable" can be translated to "Upgrades".

"Switch system packages to the versions in this repository"
\----> "system packages" in this context refers to "installed packages"

"Product Listing" may be translated as "Listing of Products"

Christian Jäger

Jun 15, 2010, 3:22:55 PM6/15/10
to Ricardo Cruz, yast...@googlegroups.com, christi...@googlemail.com
Am Montag, den 14.06.2010, 16:27 +0200 schrieb Ricardo Cruz:

> > As an example, this would be the location of the PO file for the German
> > language:
> >
> > https://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/opensuse-i18n/trunk/yast/de/po/yast2-gtk.de.po

Hello Ricardo,
thanks for pointing me to the file!^_^

I've started to work on it; hope to do the rest on thursday.

BTW, what do leading dashes "_" mean, if anything?

Greets,

Chris

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 15, 2010, 6:46:42 PM6/15/10
to yast...@googlegroups.com, Christian Jäger
Hi Chris,

in the PO file.

Do notice when you remove the «#, fuzzy» line that some
of those are marked «#, fuzzy, c-format» and only the ", fuzzy"
part should be removed in such cases.

Btw, I gave a try to GTranslator, and it seems like a decent
PO editor. Shift-Ctrl-PgDown takes you to the next fuzzy/untranslated
string, and it takes care of removing the fuzzy comment. (There is
an inquisitive assistant dialog at the start, but you can just cancel it.
I will make sure the headers are correct.)

The '_' character is used by GTK to assign the Alt+key shortcut in
menus, buttons and labels. Ampersand (&) is the one used in most
toolkits, but not gtk. Some "fuzzy" strings might use the '&' because
a similar strings is used in the qt plugin.

To ensure no Alt+key conflicts, check the screenshot when
you find one: http://en.opensuse.org/images/0/0d/Sw_single_gtk_11_3.png

(The "Desfazer" button is the "Undo" one in English. Besides those five,
there are only a couple menu items that use it.)

Cheers,
Ricardo

Christian Jäger

Jun 18, 2010, 12:13:26 AM6/18/10
to Ricardo Cruz, yast...@googlegroups.com, christi...@googlemail.com
Unfortunately, I couldn't translate at all, yesterday, I'm sorry.

Greets,
Chris

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 18, 2010, 11:14:58 AM6/18/10
to Christian Jäger, yast...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

Apparently, RC2 is scheduled for July 1, and Karl (the i18n package
guy) says we should be able to get on board by then.

This means you still have plenty of time, if you want to go ahead.

Anyone else reading this that wants to contribute, check out:
http://groups.google.com/group/yast2-gtk/browse_thread/thread/2517efcb01d21fba

Anyway, I think you'll find the PO file much easier to tackle than
it looks at first sight. For instance, a good chunk of it is made of
commented out stuff (these are obsolete strings that we don't
want to completely remove right away), and these need not be
translated even when marked fuzzy.

You should also note that if you're taking too much time figuring
out how to translate a given term, it's probably better to leave
it untranslated. For instance, you may notice in some languages
"Reboot" or "Patch" aren't translated, and that's fine. It's a judgment
call the translator had to make based on the user audience and his
knowledge of the local lingo.
As a rule of thumb, if a German term doesn't immediately pop up
to your mind, keep the term in English.

In some cases, taking too much time translating a term, or a
sentence means you're taking it too literally. For instance, I've
translated "dependency solver" as being "dependencies manager"
as that was simpler to translate, and it didn't lose its essential
meaning.

If you've not used the latest version, and are worried that your
translation may not fit, just contact me and I will provide you with
a screenshot or other assistance.

Cheers,
Ricardo

------------

Note to self, trailing white-spaces are land-mines for translators:

#: src/pkg/yzyppwrapper.cc:147
msgid " of "
msgstr "von"

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 25, 2010, 10:50:23 AM6/25/10
to yast2-gtk, christi...@googlemail.com
Chris,

Karl is requesting the opensuse German translation leader to
go through the German PO file.

If you have picked it up already, do tell me about it ASAP, so
I can tell them about it.

Cheers,
Ricardo

On 18 Jun, 05:13, "Christian Jäger" <christian.ja...@googlemail.com>

Christian Jäger

Jun 27, 2010, 8:06:49 AM6/27/10
to Ricardo Cruz, yast2-gtk, christi...@googlemail.com
Hello Ricardo,

pls. count me out, I'm not gonna contribute anything this time round; sorry.

Greets,
Chris

-- Gesendet von meinem Palm Pixi

Ricardo Cruz

Jun 27, 2010, 8:55:03 AM6/27/10
to Christian Jäger, Christian Jäger, yast2-gtk

Hi Chris,

That's fine. Let Karl nudge the German i18n guys to have a look
at it. :)