Increasing Collaboration on WikiEducator

wikirandy

May 21, 2008, 9:05:35 AM5/21/08
to WikiEducator, wmack...@col.org
Hi Everyone,

In a recent post, Sanjaya has raised a significant challenge (and
opportunity) in WikiEducator - Increasing Collaboration.... Others I
have spoken to have also raised this....

He says:

"Not much collaboration is visible at this stage in WikiEd.
Educational institutions need to be convinced about the advantages of
Open Access and the power of Wiki."

So...I have a few questions:

* Define what your understanding of Collaboration is?
* How do we propose to measure it, and over what intervals?

At this stage of WikiEd's development, the focus has been on training
a critical mass of educators in wiki skills....but what are your
suggestions for Increasing Collaboration on WikiEducator...

Some ideas:

* Webconferences - focusing on areas for collaboration, or in
identifying projects, people, etc.
* Projects - where folks self-select to collaborate or appointed
(dyads are particularly powerful);
* Wishlists - an easy way to find out what's happening in the
community, and where the collaborative needs are (specified down to
the role)
* Bounties - to encourage collaboration through a modest financial
incentive
* Peer recognition - i.e., non-monetary incentives
* Other:

Please share your thoughts, ideas, etc.

- Randy
*

Wayne Mackintosh

May 21, 2008, 2:22:17 PM5/21/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Randy,

I'm very excited to see our community starting to think about ways to
increase collaborative development.

As an aside - I think that this is positive sign attesting to the
dynamic nature of communities and how they mature over time. It's
tempting to distinguish capability maturity phases for WE, for
example:

Phase 1: Basic skills development in using the wiki
Phase 2:. Focus on content development for own use
Phase 3: Collaborative content development in achieving collective
goals

So it seems that WE has reached the next phase of our evolution
<smile>. These are exciting times and its great to be part of the
early pioneers taking collective responsibility for building the
future success of OUR project. This is well aligned with our strategy
- because WE is now in the phase of scaling up content development.

See: http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:About

Cheers
Wayne

Leigh Blackall

May 21, 2008, 5:51:22 PM5/21/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy, Wayne.

I think Wayne sets out a realistic 3 steps. And for the most part I think we as a whole are taking those steps. A slight trouble (and risk) is that different people are at different stages in this flow. So while the L4C is focusing on Phase 1: Basic skills development in using the wiki a few of the early adopters are itching for Phase 3: Collaborative content development in achieving collective goals. Otago Polytechnic is an early adopter, and we itch for evidence of phase 3 because all too often we are having to justify our radically different approach to distance and online learning (using Wikieducator). I think we can handle this pressure, but it would be great to see some form of commitment (if resources permit it) to the facilitation of phase 3 opportunities.

Randy seems to be in a position to facilitate some phase 3. A team of facilitators would be good. The webconferences might be a good way to gather steam around making phase 3 facilitation possible, but I suspect a more targeted and proactive facilitation effort is needed.

Otago looked like it had something going in terms of a collaboration with Mauritius over our Tourism developments. Similarly with 2 people in the L4C who contributed to "our" HIV/AIDS content. But disappointingly, these have not progressed. Mostly because Otago people have not had the time or skills to begin communicating around collaboration - and so an experienced facilitator is needed. Someone who can mediate the initial stages of a collaboration.

Randy's questions:

* Define what your understanding of Collaboration is?
* How do we propose to measure it, and over what intervals?

Collaboration is evidenced by:
  • Sustained communication
  • Negotiated outcomes
  • Shared actions
  • Shared ownership
  • Shared outcomes
This might be measured by:
  • The edit history of a page/s
  • The communication pages
  • The email list
  • Student exchange programs
  • Teacher exchange programs
  • Team teaching
  • Networked teaching and learning
Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

wikirandy

May 21, 2008, 6:45:08 PM5/21/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Leigh and Wayne,

How about both:

Let's do a webconference on collaboration - to get this up on the
radar....AND consider a targeted and proactive approach to
facilitation....They both will inform and support each other....

Possible dates: next Monday or Wednesday (Vancouver time).

- Randy
> - Sustained communication
> - Negotiated outcomes
> - Shared actions
> - Shared ownership
> - Shared outcomes
>
> This might be measured by:
>
> - The edit history of a page/s
> - The communication pages
> - The email list
> - Student exchange programs
> - Teacher exchange programs
> - Team teaching
> - Networked teaching and learning
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <WMackint...@col.org>

Wayne Mackintosh

May 22, 2008, 1:35:07 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh & Randy

I don't see the 3 capability phases  (that is; skills development;  personal content development projects;  and international collaboration on projects)  as being mutually exclusive. On the contrary they should ideally all happen in parallel <smile>.

The challenge for our community is to figure out how best to manage and cater for multiple levels of capability without holding the early innovators back or alienating newbies. WE is a community which should welcome and meet all participants where they are at -- including the community leaders who are plotting our futures. Our focus on the building the future is a core value of the community, and is enshrined in our strategic thinking.

Otago Poly has pushed the envelope. I can attest that Dunedin's interventions have compressed the WE strategic time scale by 9 to 12 months of where I reasonably expected the project to be at this juncture in its history.  So Leigh, as a community we will rely heavily on your foresight and guidance in helping us build capability for the next phase in our evolution.

While our early attempts at international collaboration on specific projects may not have delivered the dividends we would have liked  -- we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves recognising that some seeds take longer to germinate than others. Let's learn from our experiences and figure out how to do this better .... So I'm reading and thinking about your suggestions with CONSIDERABLE interest.

Notwithstanding the phenomenal successes of the WMF projects -- WE are very much pioneers. WE is a unique community and is succeeding in engaging real educators in  the formal education sectors from all corners of the globe. My personal preference is that WE does not become a community which alienates newbies, but at the same time supports and feeds the innovators and early adopters.

A tall order --- but based on our collective track record to date -- I know that we'll get this right.

Hey -- is going to be a fascinating if not historic year for us!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Randy Fisher

May 22, 2008, 6:43:02 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Wayne, Leigh and others:

Comments below, beginning in CAPS:

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <wmack...@col.org> wrote:
Hi Leigh & Randy

I don't see the 3 capability phases  (that is; skills development;  personal content development projects;  and international collaboration on projects)  as being mutually exclusive. On the contrary they should ideally all happen in parallel <smile>.

TOTALLY AGREED.  Rapid, parallel development is the way to go. Many iterations and experiences, incorporating feedback and local experience, creating our approach that feels more aligned to what we are creating...

The challenge for our community is to figure out how best to manage and cater for multiple levels of capability without holding the early innovators back or alienating newbies. WE is a community which should welcome and meet all participants where they are at -- including the community leaders who are plotting our futures. Our focus on the building the future is a core value of the community, and is enshrined in our strategic thinking.

AGREED.  As Otago is  on the leading edge for themselves, newbies also consider themselves on the leading edge for them too! :-) However, Otago's leadership mitigates risk (in the future) for future action / adoption.

Otago Poly has pushed the envelope. I can attest that Dunedin's interventions have compressed the WE strategic time scale by 9 to 12 months of where I reasonably expected the project to be at this juncture in its history.  So Leigh, as a community we will rely heavily on your foresight and guidance in helping us build capability for the next phase in our evolution.

THIS 9-12 MONTHS ' ACCELERATION  should be come a rallying point .... how to capture and leverage this information...

While our early attempts at international collaboration on specific projects may not have delivered the dividends we would have liked  -- we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves recognising that some seeds take longer to germinate than others. Let's learn from our experiences and figure out how to do this better .... So I'm reading and thinking about your suggestions with CONSIDERABLE interest.

YES, AGREED TOO.   I THINK THE WEBCONFERENCES should have a couple of foci: (1) general topics of interest to the community;  and (2)  project -based. Let's identify  several projects that we wish to foster the kind of collaboration that  Leigh is talking about, and we / WE can facilitate this....My sense is, this is largely a process / design issues....( perhaps there's even another level in the Wiki Skills Certification process for WikiFacilitator/Collaboration - but first things first, let's get some active collaboration stuff happening... We will be able to measure this stuff - we've got to...thx. to our work with Jonathan Miller's (WikiEd, M&E)

Notwithstanding the phenomenal successes of the WMF projects -- WE are very much pioneers. WE is a unique community and is succeeding in engaging real educators in  the formal education sectors from all corners of the globe. My personal preference is that WE does not become a community which alienates newbies, but at the same time supports and feeds the innovators and early adopters.

YES, WE are on the same page.....but  let's make a distinction between newbies exploring the development of wiki skills, and interest in collaboration. Positioned properly, any newbie can see the promise and potential of collaboration....that may be why they joined in the first place....Come to think of it, maybe we can adjust our Newbie survey and subsequent ones....to gain insights into their ideas and motivations underscoring collaborative intent and action. Let's harness and support Otago's increasing momentum.

A tall order --- but based on our collective track record to date -- I know that we'll get this right.

AND, there are many versions and nuances of "right", right?

Hey -- is going to be a fascinating if not historic year for us!!!

UBET!

--
________________
Randy Fisher - Facilitating Change and Designing Sustainable Ecosystems to Improve Performance- for People, Teams, Communities, and Organizations

+ 1 604.684.2275
wiki...@gmail.com
www.hirerandy.com

Skype: wikirandy

Randy Fisher

May 22, 2008, 6:56:24 AM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
I've created the following page, to capture some of this stuff - http://www.wikieducator.org/Collaboration

Randy

Missan

May 22, 2008, 7:54:03 AM5/22/08
to WikiEducator
Collaboration to me is a process of working together to achieve a
shared goal. For WikiEd, the shared goal is to develop free content
for supporting learning at different levels and different subject
domains. As a community we have started on this path, and agreed to
create content that shall be avialable for free on the WikiEd
platform. There are different stages of development for the end users,
but as a community we should be at one stage. May be we are now in the
training stage, and therefore not much collaboration is visible. So,
it is too early to ask for too much. But, there is nothing wrong in
asking for more, and Randy has rightly started this discussion. How do
we measure collaboration? Some indicators are:

* Number of edits on contents created by others
* More discussion on the discussion pages
* Groups commited to develop content on a particular area and
continusouly working on it
* More useful content rated by the community
* And many more...

At the present stage of development, we are only adding content to
WikiEd as individuals. More collaboration will start, once we develop
the rating system/ feature article system/ or flagging. Collboration
as a learning opportunity leads to negotiated understanding.

with regards, Sanjaya

Peter

May 22, 2008, 2:39:59 PM5/22/08
to WikiEducator
I find this discussion interesting, particularly in light of the
"Systemic and cognitive view on collaborative knowledge building with
wikis". paper referenced in a previous post. I read the paper and upon
reflection agreed that wikis are great places for individuals (and
groups) to construct knowledge. This paper went into the foundational
knowledge (proof) that wikis are great places to construct knowledge.
The paper talks about how it is the individuals who participate in the
knowledge creation (authoring of the wiki) that benefit.
http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator/browse_thread/thread/1707624e31249be5?hl=en

I also AGREE with what is being written in this and related threads. I
also believe what Otago is doing is awesome! Though I fundamentally
believe that WE is targeting the wrong audience to be the
collaborators. It is the students that should be creating the WE pages
and the teachers provide guidance / mentorship. So far I am seeing
teachers creating the content, and this is the flaw. When we talk
about increasing collaboration, we should be talking about how do we
get teachers "out of the way" and encourage the students to be
collaborating within WE. These were my sentiments a year back during
the Tectonic Shift; http://wikieducator.org/User:Prawstho/Vision and
they haven't changed. having watched the WE over the last year I
believe this more now than ever.

So I challenge everyone to think about who should be the WE authors
(collaborators); the teachers or the students?

Peter

Leigh Blackall

May 22, 2008, 9:23:32 PM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter, the are discussions in Wikiversity that have matured more on your notion of wikis for constructionism.

I think we need to acknowledge the culture of the educational organisations (to which Wikied and COL are targeting). Education in such a context IS a content driven thing, with course documents, syllabus and curriculum, and 'texts'. In this sense Wikis are already well understood as useful tools - if encyclopedia entries are any measure. So document creation is what it is being used for now.

But content IS NOT king, and the construction PROCESS is where the valuable learning is taking place - as you and others say. But that is precisely what wikied is doing with teachers. We are getting teachers to use wikis in a way that they see value in now (course document creation), and through that experience hopefully appreciating the constructionist learning process and coming to a similar conclusion that you have - that students and teachers, (hey! how about just people?) can co create learning in wikis.

And once the teachers get it, they will be ready to introduce their students who will no doubt edit the teacher's initial work and take more control. More likely, everyone will migrate out of Wikied, empowered with a true understanding of constructionist learning, and operate directly in places of co created relavence = Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wikiversity not just wikis...

At this point in time - Wikied is playing a needed role in upskilling teachers so that they can come to that realisation

Randy Fisher

May 22, 2008, 9:42:18 PM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Leigh,

As Wayne mentioned - the three stages - there were opportunities to develop parallel activities related to collaboration, I also think that there can be similar parallel tracks related to educators and learners. As Otago is pushing the envelope (Phase 3), and we are thinking about how to extend effective collaboration; I think there is room for extending our reach to learners (i.e., Declan's efforts, biology students might be a good example too.

WikiEd's monitoring and evaluation framework is gathering steam, and I don't' see why the Learner's Voice can't be included in the symphony. After all, there are many, many learners - formal and informal - in the big wide world....

We just have to keep our WikiEd focus....

- Randy

Wayne Mackintosh

May 22, 2008, 10:00:38 PM5/22/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone --

Wow powerful ideas!  I think student/learner authoring is Phase 4 on WE's maturity model framework.

Leigh -- you're right, once "conservative" teachers get it they will be able to move to the next level or phase of maturity.  I'm hoping that WE will be able to cater to these needs as well :-).

Cheers
Wayne

Peter

May 23, 2008, 1:04:33 AM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Leigh, Wayne, Everyone...

Yes, very powerful ideas indeed. And I do see the value in having the
teachers possess wiki skills first. In particular, when working in
more "conservative" and "traditional" education environments. I also
understand the significance of the alignment COL and WE must have with
these environments...

I believe WE is maturing and as was previously mentioned we have
different WE participants at different levels within this maturity.
Maybe it is time to consider we have people at all the 4 levels Wayne
mentions. Therefore we should be including the learners as
collaborators and increase our ways to engage them...

I guess a measure of success for our QA / featured "article"
initiative is if we have groups of students collaborating to meet or
exceed what it takes to be featured...

Cheers,
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Peter <prawstho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I find this discussion interesting, particularly in light of
> > the
> > "Systemic and cognitive view on collaborative knowledge
> > building with
> > wikis". paper referenced in a previous post. I read the paper
> > and upon
> > reflection agreed that wikis are great places for individuals
> > (and
> > groups) to construct knowledge. This paper went into the
> > foundational
> > knowledge (proof) that wikis are great places to construct
> > knowledge.
> > The paper talks about how it is the individuals who
> > participate in the
> > knowledge creation (authoring of the wiki) that benefit.
> > http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator/browse_thread/thread/1707...

Hillary

May 23, 2008, 1:34:47 AM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Hey guys - good to see you are starting to move towards building
collaboration. I would however draw your attention to another wikipage
already set up asking for collaboration.

Maybe you could add your page to this one instead of duplicating what
is really a similar request.

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Community_building_strategy

Cheers Hillary

Wayne Mackintosh

May 23, 2008, 1:47:13 AM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Hi Hillary --

Case in point <smile>

We have two collaboration pages trying to promote collaboration --
seems to me like an opportunity for collaboration!

My recommendation is to incorporate the text from:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Collaboration

Into this page:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Community_building_strategy

Once this is done we can delete the "Collaboration" page.

My motivations --

1. The page you started is in the WikiEducator namespace
2. It has a better picture <smile>

Thanks for pointing this out. WE must get better at improving its
structure so that folk can find the right pages.

Cheers
Wayne

Hillary

May 23, 2008, 1:52:16 AM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Cheers Wayne - its definetly on my list to discuss at the Commonwealth
forum - which I am really looking forward to attending and of course
meeting with you face to face rather than through a wiki (whoops).

Bye Hillary

Wayne Mackintosh

May 23, 2008, 2:00:17 AM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hillary --

Fantastic! We'll have the chance to chat f-t-f at the fith Pan Commonwealth Forum.

I must say that I'm pretty impressed with the number of delegates who opted to work on WE for drafting their papers:

http://wikieducator.org/PCF5

BTW --- we're looking forward to a few updates on your user page in WE so that the community can get to see and learn a little more about one of our prolific content developers <smile>. Just teasing -- my user page is rather outdated. Always finding more important things to do ....

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh

May 23, 2008, 2:21:18 AM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Hey Randy

That's an impressive reflection.

It seems to me that there are strong consensus points and some VERY
concrete ideas to move forward.

Shall we try to capture these ideas on this page:

http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Community_building_strategy ?

Clearly there are a number of content development "candidates" in WE
that are could become show case examples of collaboration in our
community.

Clearly COL can help in connecting the right people together to
facilitate collaboration. Open question to the community:

In your view -- What projects would you list as the top five
"collaboration" candidates?

Lets see if we can manufacture a little wiki magic.

Cheers
Wayne

On May 22, 3:43 am, "Randy Fisher" <wikira...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wayne, Leigh and others:
>
> Comments below, beginning in CAPS:
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <wmackint...@col.org>
> >    - Sustained communication
> >    - Negotiated outcomes
> >    - Shared actions
> >    - Shared ownership
> >    - Shared outcomes
>
> > This might be measured by:
>
> >    - The edit history of a page/s
> >    - The communication pages
> >    - The email list
> >    - Student exchange programs
> >    - Teacher exchange programs
> >    - Team teaching
> >    - Networked teaching and learning
>
> >  On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Wayne Mackintosh <WMackint...@col.org>
> Improve Performance- for People, Teams, Communities, and Organizationshttp://www.wikieducator.org/User:Randyfisher
>
> + 1 604.684.2275
> wikira...@gmail.comwww.hirerandy.com
>
> Skype: wikirandy

Leigh Blackall

May 23, 2008, 3:00:31 AM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
1. Otago's HIVAIDS with...? Suggestions - webconferences, team teaching online, student and teacher exchanges
2. Otago's Tourism course with...? Shared development, shared resources, team teaching, webconferences, student and teacher exchanges
3. Otago's Blogging handbook...? Need short activity sheets on little things about blogging. Sheets include objective, activity steps, resources needed. Is to become a printable book with people able to pick and choose the right activity sheets for their needs and then print their customised book.
4. Otago's Horticulture pages...? Need more learning activities using resources made. Need more Horticulture units to be developed - such as landscaping and building units.
5. Webconferences - probably the most easy to collaborate on.. simply organise a talk and add it to the list

in my opinion :)

Sarah Stewart

May 23, 2008, 4:11:56 AM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I have just added another web conference that is being held in August. Dr Sally Baddock is presenting the results of her international renown research into infant bed sharing. Not sure if any of you will be interested but maybe you know a health professional who will be. cheers Sarah

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

http://sarah-stewart.blogspot.com
Skype: sarah.m.stewart
Twitter: SarahStewart

Randy Fisher

May 23, 2008, 9:44:47 AM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh,

I've added these as Collaboration Priorities for Otago - do I have this right?

http://www.wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:Community_building_strategy#Otago_Polytechnic_-_Collaboration_Priorities

Randy
wiki...@gmail.com
www.hirerandy.com

Skype: wikirandy

Randy Fisher

May 23, 2008, 9:48:04 AM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wayne and others,

Thanks for pointing this out - yes, we need some suggestions / protocol for "logical flow", but I also believe that when folks in the community - "WikiNeighbours" do the neighbourly thing just to let me  or anyone else know that there's another resource in the wiki, it actually adds to a person's sense of belonging / inclusion, demonstrates caring, and also takes care of the issue.

Thanks!

Randy

Peter

May 23, 2008, 1:07:04 PM5/23/08
to WikiEducator
Leigh,

"Hi Peter, the are discussions in Wikiversity that have matured more
on your
notion of wikis for constructionism." - Leigh

I'd like to read these discussions. I did a "walk" around and a few
searches and these discussions were not easily found. Could you point
me toward these discussions on Wikiversity??

Thx, Peter
> >http://groups.google.com/group/wikieducator/browse_thread/thread/1707...
> SL - Leroy Goalposthttp://learnonline.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

Randy Fisher

May 23, 2008, 1:10:49 PM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leigh,

Two things:

1. We are developing a Community Media node within WikiEducator - www.wikieducator.org/Community_Media - I see that you are looking for video help, but what about developing content for audio, that could be also be repurposed, and broadcast as audio / radio content - is this of interest?

2. HIV / AIDS content - AMREF - we have some linkages with Africa, and I understand that one of these organizations has made a contribution to Otago's content development:

http://wikieducator.org/Lesson_10:_HIV/AIDS_And_Malaria

http://wikieducator.org/HIVAIDS

Here is the extra contribution to the Otago Unit developed by someone at Mindset South Africa

http://wikieducator.org/Stigma_and_discrimination

- Your thoughts?

- Randy

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Leigh Blackall <leighb...@gmail.com> wrote:
wiki...@gmail.com
www.hirerandy.com

Skype: wikirandy

Leigh Blackall

May 23, 2008, 9:41:02 PM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello Randy,

Regarding HIVAIDS - you are right, there have been valuable contributions from people outside Otago to that development. One of which took place during the second L4C. I have tried to encourage the project coordinators this end to respond to the generous contribution and encourage further collaboration - but I think they are at a loss on how to go about that.. hence the need for facilitation.

Regarding the community media project. I forwarded that page on to people in an Australia university who teach and learn about journalism. Their response to the initial work on those pages was favorable - but I am not aware of them actively contributing to the project yet. I will try and get an idea on that and any suggestions on what you might do to encourage collaboration. As for your reference to me calling for video.. I don't recall that, but if I did it was probably because I see it as the best starting point in media production because from it you can extract audio and photos, and so - develop the audio you are suggesting. Starting with audio leaves us with no photos or video.

Regards
Leigh

Leigh Blackall

May 23, 2008, 9:43:40 PM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter, the discussion I was referring to is linked to from my blog post When Wikieductaor will be no more.

Leigh Blackall

May 23, 2008, 10:27:35 PM5/23/08
to wikied...@googlegroups.com
Peter, in case you tried to check that link within the last hour, you might have had trouble finding the discussion. I'm not sure what happened to it!? But it is in the history and I have updated my blog with the right link.

wikirandy

May 26, 2008, 4:27:25 PM5/26/08
to WikiEducator, Wayne Mackintosh, jmal...@col.org
Hi Leigh,

Appreciated our Skype chat - I'm looking forward to speaking with
Bronwyn H. soon, as to opportunities for collaboration with Otago's
Caring for People with HIV/AIDS materials. I think there's
considerable opportunities for leadership here....

I've alerted you to David Walker's paper from PCF -4:
http://pcf4.dec.uwi.edu/viewpaper.php?id=434 (there's a number of
initiatives here - we'll have to explore whether we can access this
material as free content)

As discussed, NZ Aid has (at least in 2006) a high priority placed on
HIV / AIDS as a focus area (Links:

http://www.nzaid.govt.nz/library/docs/factsheet-hiv-aids.pdf; and
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:4qBV7HmUUcIJ:www.nzaid.govt.nz/library/docs/factsheet-hiv-aids.pdf+NZ+AId+HIV+Aids&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca

I spoke with Wayne this morning, and he told me a couple of things:
(1) COL's focal point is apparently co-located in NZ Aid, so there
could be some significant possibilities there;
(2) Joshua Mallett is working on a programme for community health for
nurses in West Africa, focusing on OERs of which I'm sure there will
be modules for say, mothers and babies: transmission etc.

Also, I've put in a feeler phone call to the Stephen Lewis Foundation,
to share notes and have a conversation... will let y'all know what
comes of it...We do have common ground, although they may not know it
just yet! :-) http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/

***
On a related note, we're looking at how we can help the folks in our
community make such linkages for their projects....to move them
forward..... come to think of it, I have some ideas, so I'll jot them
down on the community building strategy page.