Dell Display goes black: input timing is not supported

Dan

Jan 25, 2010, 6:10:45 PM1/25/10
to Webconverger Users
So after living through the great "Ubuntu Webconverger wars of early
2010" detailed here:

http://groups.google.com/group/webc-users/browse_thread/thread/b1e27100c996b8d0#

I installed a Debian VM, and started cranking out ISO CDROM images,
thinking everything was fine.

I tested the ISO images at home, and they worked fine on the older
equipment I had at home.

However, in walked the Dell Optiplex 760 with the Dell 1708FP display
using the Intel chipset. This is where I REALLY needed Webconverger
to work. This machine makes it through the Webconverger "mode"
selection screen, and through the loading process. Right about where
Firefox should come up, the screen goes black with the following
message:

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display". It
then goes on to suggest something like 1280x1024 at 60HZ.

To solve this, so far, I have:
* Searched the internet looking for similar issues with this
particular display
* Messed repeatedly with the vga= setting
* Messed repeatedly with the xvideomode= setting

Any sage advice to point me in the right direction as I'm stuck?

Dan

Kai Hendry

Jan 25, 2010, 6:25:16 PM1/25/10
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
`xrandr` output I find is the most useful. Get the output from debug mode.

Test if that machine works with Ubuntu karmic live CD. Ubuntu has the
very latest software. Webconverger is based on Debian stable which is
much older.

Try another monitor (your current monitor might be not communicating
its capabilities correctly).

armadefuego

Jan 28, 2010, 1:05:38 PM1/28/10
to Webconverger Users

> Try another monitor (your current monitor might be not communicating
> its capabilities correctly).
Forgive me if i am out of line, i am new here.

You may find out more info by booting to single user mode, and looking
at
the output of lspci -v

Knowing which chipset we have here may be important.