The next batch of API improvements has arrived!

Alex Payne

Apr 29, 2008, 10:11:45 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
It's a good one, I hope!

[NEW] /account/update_location.[xml|json] - sets the location for the
authenticated user to the string passed in a "location" parameter.
Nothing fancy, no geocoding or normalization. Just putting this out
there so developers can start playing with how geolocation might fit
into their Twitter applications.

[NEW] You can add do /friendships/create/example_user.xml?follow=true
to turn notifications on for a user as well as befriend/follow them.

[NEW] Block users via the API, ex: /blocks/create/1234235.xml and
/blocks/destroy/1232352.xml.

[NEW] A simple test method: /help/test. Returns "ok" with a 200
response in the requested format.

[NEW] /help/downtime_schedule. Returns the same text we display on
/home when we have a maintenance window scheduled. May be formalized
to hard dates in the future.

[NEW] /account/update_delivery_device?device=[sms|im|none] - set
which device Twitter delivers updates to for the authenticating user.
Sending "none" as the "device" parameter will disable IM or SMS
updates.

[NEW] Detailed status representations (ex:
/statuses/show/1212235.xml) have a "favorited" boolean attribute that
is true if the requesting user has made that statues a favorite.

[FIXED] Returning 401 when we should be returning 403 for a couple methods.

[FIXED] Enforce authentication for friends_timeline to prevent confusion.

[FIXED] /account/archive now supports since, If-Modified-Since, and
since_id parameters/headers.

[FIXED] /statuses/replies now supports the since_id parameter.

[FIXED] /statuses/user_timeline now supports the since_id parameter.

[FIXED] /statuses/friends now support since and If-Modified-Since.

[FIXED] Should now send the same attributes in our Atom
representation of status updates via XMPP as in XML/JSON
representations.

[FIXED] The recently-introduced "following" attribute on detailed
representations of users was a misnomer, and actually reflected
whether or not the requesting user had enabled notifications for the
requested user. This attribute has been renamed to "notifications".
"following" now accurately reflects the friendship status between the
two users.

Everything applicable to the documentation has been updated. Please
let the list know if you see any inconsistencies, though.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

Cameron Kaiser

Apr 29, 2008, 10:27:13 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> It's a good one, I hope!

Yup. I will buy you a beer next time I'm in the City.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- "Bad dog, what a big mess you made! I told you to sit! SIT!!!" -- unknown --

Jonathan Snook

Apr 29, 2008, 10:29:39 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Bravo! Well done! :) Thanks for all the hard work.

Barry Hess

Apr 29, 2008, 10:32:35 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Sweet, glorious music, Alex.  I looked at the documentation about 10 seconds before you updated it.  Just reloaded - sweet, glorious music.

Thanks!

~Barry

sugree

Apr 29, 2008, 11:05:14 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Incorrect url of downtime_schedule.

Are all new features ready to use? I tried test and downtime but it
just 302 redirected me to login page.

Thanks for hard works.

m1k3y

Apr 29, 2008, 11:29:30 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
exactly what I've been waiting for. thanks Alex!

On Apr 30, 12:11 pm, "Alex Payne" <a...@twitter.com> wrote:

> [NEW] /account/update_delivery_device?device=[sms|im|none] - set
> which device Twitter delivers updates to for the authenticating user.
> Sending "none" as the "device" parameter will disable IM or SMS
> updates.
>

> --
> Alex Paynehttp://twitter.com/al3x

dean.j.robinson

Apr 29, 2008, 11:42:03 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Awesome, looks like I have some work to do tonight...

Yan Sarazin

Apr 29, 2008, 11:51:59 PM4/29/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Awesome. Thanks Alex.

Couple of things, in the second example in destroy block method reads
"http://twitter.com/favorites/destroy/bob.xml" and should probably be
"http://twitter.com/blocks/destroy/bob.xml". Also I can't find any
documentation regarding the following/notifications attributes.

Akira Ueda

Apr 29, 2008, 11:54:42 PM4/29/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
nice stuff. especially downtime_schedule seems to be very useful for
API clients. thank you very much!
btw, i'm looking forward to the command=false feature is also
implimented ;)
(http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/b70b827bef4f3b83
)

RevDanCatt

Apr 30, 2008, 2:19:34 AM4/30/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Great stuff ...

In particularly I'm looking at the update_location method. However one
thing I'd love to see is that it stamped each tweet with your location
at the time of the tweet. (opt in, blah, etc.)

So when you got a list of <status>, there was a <location> (or
<located_at/>) tucked into each one. Meaning that if I updated my
location to "Paris" when I was there last week and updated my <status>
a couple of times, and then came back to San Francisco and made some
more updates, I (or anyone) could see where I was (according to me) at
the time of the update/tweet.

Please, please, please :)

-D

twibble

Apr 30, 2008, 2:44:18 AM4/30/08
to Twitter Development Talk
The update_location method is great news for my twibble clients, thank
you!
RevDanCatt, I extended the twitter api with a location element, e.g.
http://api.twibble.de/statuses/friends_timeline/twibble.xml
returns the regular twitter timeline with location fields. You can
read more about it at
http://www.twibble.de

Best,
@twibble

Yan Sarazin

Apr 30, 2008, 8:58:51 AM4/30/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Nevermind my comment, It was late and I was half asleep :)

I updated the API doc to fix the typo and I confused the following
attribute as being a method. My bad.

Shannon Whitley

Apr 30, 2008, 9:51:36 AM4/30/08
to Twitter Development Talk
I'll jump on the bandwagon. Nicely done!

Alex Payne

Apr 30, 2008, 3:31:57 PM4/30/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
I've fixed the URL for downtime_schedule. It looks like the two
"help" methods are indeed being redirected. I'll fix that.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

deali...@gmail.com

May 5, 2008, 12:51:16 AM5/5/08
to Twitter Development Talk
So "friends" returns people the authenticated user is following, and
supposedly supports a "since" parameter. "Followers" returns people
following the auth user, and does not yet support "since". So getting
a list of all followers still requires paging on the client side. Just
clarifying.

Also, is there any plan to rename or duplicate the "friends" call as
"following", as the "friends" language was dropped from the UX a while
ago?

Alex Payne

May 5, 2008, 5:46:39 PM5/5/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
At some point we'll clear up the discrepancies between the API method
names and the language on the site, yes.

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x

RoelandP

May 6, 2008, 5:01:07 AM5/6/08
to Twitter Development Talk
hat off & thumbs up for the new API methods!
cheer, cheer, cheers!
wooooo!

ono_matope

May 6, 2008, 12:20:28 PM5/6/08
to Twitter Development Talk
Awesome update, Alex!

But I want to ask you some questions about new APIs.

1. Now, friends_timeline.json API seems to not require the
authentification.
The following query can be reload without authentification and
unlimited duration.
http://twitter.com/statuses/friends_timeline/ono_matope.json

2. friends_timeline JSON API seems to recognize neither since_id
parameter nor If_Modified_Since header.
http://twitter.com/statuses/friends_timeline/ono_matope.json?since_id=804777009

I wonder if this is correct and permanent behavior.
Would you tell me which it is?

Aaqil

May 6, 2008, 12:23:32 PM5/6/08
to Twitter Development Talk
hahahahaha

On Apr 30, 7:27 am, Cameron Kaiser <spec...@floodgap.com> wrote:
> > It's a good one, I hope!
>
> Yup. I will buy you a beer next time I'm in the City.
>
> --
> ------------------------------------ personal:http://www.cameronkaiser.com/--
>   Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems *www.floodgap.com* ckai...@floodgap.com

Kee Hinckley

May 26, 2008, 9:50:48 AM5/26/08
On Apr 29, 2008, at 10:11 PM, Alex Payne wrote:
> [NEW] You can add do /friendships/create/example_user.xml?follow=true
> to turn notifications on for a user as well as befriend/follow them.

This is not documented in the API doc.
Also, shouldn't it be device=true or notify=true?