request for ignore commands feature for API /statuses/update

1 view

Akira Ueda

Mar 22, 2008, 5:00:03 AM3/22/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm developing my API client and having a problem with the Twitter
commands such as fav, whois, etc.

When I post "こんにちはw" (Japanese word and 'w'), it is
interpreted as just "whois" without arguments. (w is an abbreviation
of whois). As a result of that, it ends up as a failure of the post
operation. It seems that non-ASCII characters are ignored while
detecting commands

You can see this behavior by posting with "こんにちはw" from
Twitter web site.

The failure is notified with an error message when you use the web
interface. However it's not notified to API client.

Note that "w" has a meaning of "laughing" among Japanese net users.
The combinations of some Japanese words and "w" are frequently used.
So this behavior is not convenient.

To solve this problem, it would be nice that the API /statuses/
update.format has a feature to ignore Twitter commands such as fav and
whois.

For example:
"status=こんにちはw&command=false" just post "こんにちはw"
as it is.

Any comments would be appreciated,
Akira

Cameron Kaiser

Mar 22, 2008, 9:04:50 AM3/22/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
> You can see this behavior by posting with " $B$3$s$K$A$O (Bw" from
> Twitter web site.
>
> The failure is notified with an error message when you use the web
> interface. However it's not notified to API client.
>
> Note that "w" has a meaning of "laughing" among Japanese net users.
> The combinations of some Japanese words and "w" are frequently used.
> So this behavior is not convenient.
>
> To solve this problem, it would be nice that the API /statuses/
> update.format has a feature to ignore Twitter commands such as fav and
> whois.

I can replicate this bug, but rather than ignoring Twitter commands, why not
just correctly parse the command? :) Since the command isn't in leading
position, it should simply be ignored anyway.

I rely on Twitter's command interface to extend some features that would
otherwise have to be manually supported, so I would still want update.format
to support Twitter command parsing. I wouldn't mind an option to disable it
but only if it were not the default, and I still think just fixing the
parser is the better choice.

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- I do not know myself, and God forbid that I should. -- J. W. von Goethe ----

Akira Ueda

Mar 23, 2008, 12:27:55 AM3/23/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron,

Thank you for your comment.

a) the behavior which non-ASCII characters are ignored while parsing

As you said, if this bug is fixed, it's nice for Japanese (and maybe
non-English) users. "こんにちはw" problem will be solved.

b) the option to ignore Twitter commands

I sometimes use Twitter commands in leading position by mistake. For
example, 'follow him' or 'D please'. In this case, API does not notify
any errors while an error message is shown in the web.

So, I' like to have ignoring Twitter commands feature.

Thanks,
Akira

On 2008/03/22, at 22:04, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>> You can see this behavior by posting with "こんにちはw" from

Alex Payne

Mar 24, 2008, 2:41:42 PM3/24/08
to twitter-deve...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense to me. I'll see about adding it.

2008/3/22 Akira Ueda <u...@gol.com>:

--
Alex Payne
http://twitter.com/al3x