No context menus on Vista

1 view

Sanjay Pujare

Mar 11, 2008, 2:25:54 PM3/11/08
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, san...@maxval-soft.com

Hi,

I am trying to help a user with using TortoiseSVN. When I installed TSVN on her Vista machine, the installation went thru fine but I don’t see the context menus appear in the explorer when I right click. Any pointers about fixing this problem? We did install the msi  under an Administrator account.

Sanjay

Stefan Küng

Mar 11, 2008, 3:11:07 PM3/11/08
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Sanjay Pujare wrote:

If she's using Vista x64, you have to install the x64 version of TSVN -
otherwise the x64 explorer process can't load the 32-bit dll.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Sanjay Pujare

Mar 12, 2008, 2:11:55 PM3/12/08
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, san...@maxval-soft.com

Hi,

I really need help with this. I have uninstalled TSVN, used the clean up tool and then re-installed TSVN. I still don’t see the shell extensions (context menus) on one particular machine. Can you give me some pointers about where I can begin to troubleshoot?

I am trying to help a user with using TortoiseSVN. When I installed TSVN on her Vista machine, the installation went thru fine but I don’t see the context menus appear in the explorer when I right click. Any pointers about fixing this problem? We did install the msi  under an Administrator account.

Sanjay

Stefan Küng

Mar 12, 2008, 3:54:59 PM3/12/08
Sanjay Pujare wrote:

> I really need help with this. I have uninstalled TSVN, used the clean up
> tool and then re-installed TSVN. I still don’t see the shell extensions
> (context menus) on one particular machine. Can you give me some pointers
> about where I can begin to troubleshoot?

* this is a user question, don't bother the dev list with it
* I've already answered your question:
http://groups.google.com/group/tortoisesvn-dev/browse_frm/thread/2aa55700f0dffb53

At least have the decency to either tell us to cc you or read our
answers in the archives if you're not subsribed to the list.

signature.asc

Stefan Küng

Mar 12, 2008, 5:05:50 PM3/12/08
to TortoiseSVN Dev, san...@maxval-soft.com
Sanjay Pujare wrote:
> Hi Stefan,

Please post all answers to the mailing list, not individual persons who
answer your questions on the list: others might be interested in your
answer too.

> Sorry I didn't know my emails were really going to a
> newsgroup/mailing list. I just clicked the "report a bug" button on
> the tortoiseSVN web site. Anyway thanks for the email. Most probably
> the 64-bit thing is the issue. I didn't even suspect that the machine
> I was dealing with was really a 64-bit machine (HP pavilion dv9000
> that looks exactly like a dv6000 but have different processors).

FYI: it isn't really an issue of the processor you're using but what
type of Vista OS you've installed. All modern processors support the
AMD64 extensions and can therefore run x64 OS.

> A request for the installer: can it check the 64-bit and abort with
> an error?

Not a good idea: to get the TSVN extension working in file-open/save
dialogs in your other applications (which most are still 32-bit) you
need the 32-bit TSVN installed too. So on x64 OS, most users have *both*
versions installed.

signature.asc

Simon Large

Mar 12, 2008, 6:35:13 PM3/12/08
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On 12/03/2008, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sanjay Pujare wrote:
> > Hi Stefan,
>
> Please post all answers to the mailing list, not individual persons who
> answer your questions on the list: others might be interested in your
> answer too.
>
> > Sorry I didn't know my emails were really going to a
> > newsgroup/mailing list. I just clicked the "report a bug" button on
> > the tortoiseSVN web site. Anyway thanks for the email. Most probably
> > the 64-bit thing is the issue. I didn't even suspect that the machine
> > I was dealing with was really a 64-bit machine (HP pavilion dv9000
> > that looks exactly like a dv6000 but have different processors).
>
> FYI: it isn't really an issue of the processor you're using but what
> type of Vista OS you've installed. All modern processors support the
> AMD64 extensions and can therefore run x64 OS.
>
> > A request for the installer: can it check the 64-bit and abort with
> > an error?
>
> Not a good idea: to get the TSVN extension working in file-open/save
> dialogs in your other applications (which most are still 32-bit) you
> need the 32-bit TSVN installed too. So on x64 OS, most users have *both*
> versions installed.

Am I right in assuming that it is only the shellex that needs to be
available in both 32 and 64 bit flavours? Can the 64 bit installer
include both 64 and 32 bit shellexes and just the 64 bit version of
the apps?

Simon

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Stefan Küng

Mar 13, 2008, 4:01:27 PM3/13/08
to d...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Not just the 32-bit shell dll, but all the 32-bit dlls the shell dll
depends on too (C-runtime, MFC, ...).

So, it's just easier to let users install both versions of TSVN
themselves, *iff* they want the features also in the file-open/save dialogs.

Stefan

signature.asc