selenium.captureNetworkTraffic() doesn't work in IE browser

Praveen Sahadevan

Sep 16, 2009, 3:15:02 AM9/16/09
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was using selenium RC 1.0 beta 1 and recently I upgraded to selenium RC 1.0.1 stable version. The purpose of this upgrade was mainly to make use of captureNetworkTraffic() function instead of external Fiddler proxy server I was using to capture HTTP requests.

Below-written are my observations
1. captureNetworkTraffic works perfectly with firefox, but in IE it always returns null for the command selenium.captureNetworkTraffic("plain"). I believe this is the way it is supposed to work, but I feel this to be a serious limitation.

2. I find that some scripts which used to work properly in 1.0 beta 1 are not working at all while using 1.0.1. For instance we were using a script inside a div tag, and used <!-- to comment out the specific functions to get it XHTML compliant. I was able to get this content using selenium.getText() command, but not in RC 1.0.1.

3. I was using *firefox for testing with external proxy and using the command ## java -Dhttp.proxyHost=127.0.0.1 -Dhttp.proxyPort=8888 -jar selenium-server.jar ## to route firefox through proxy, but in 1.0.1 I need to use *firefoxproxy to route FF through proxy.

Hence I find that there are many backward compatibility issues in selnium RC 1.0.1 though it is termed to be a stable version.

Please let me know if anyone knows when I can expect captureNetworkTraffic to work in IE so that I can get rid of external proxy servers to capture HTTP requests/responses.

Thanks,
Praveen
Associate IT Consultant
ITC Infotech

Corey

Sep 19, 2009, 6:34:43 PM9/19/09
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
did you get it working with IE?
just curious if captureNetworkTraffic() is supported with IE or if it only works in FF.&nbsp; can anyone confirm?

-Corey

Corey

Sep 21, 2009, 11:09:48 AM9/21/09
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
ok.. I got it to work under IE.
here is some more info:&nbsp; http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-developers/browse_thread/thread/2d8829980d5c0c4a

the launcher code for IE does not set it up to route through a proxy, even if you start with the captureNetworkTraffic=true parameter.&nbsp; The workaround is to set IE (in your browser options) to go through a proxy at localhost:4444.&nbsp; After you do that, call to captureNetworkTraffic() work.

-Corey Goldberg

Praveen Sahadevan

Sep 22, 2009, 9:47:20 AM9/22/09
to selenium-users...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think I got the solution. I tried to start IE using *iexploreproxy browser mode and it works fine. Though it was a trial and error, it worked.

With this, I was able to satisfy my need of capturing HTTP requests in IE and Firefox, without the help of external proxy server (Fiddler). Thanks to the enriched set of supported browser modes available with Selenium.

Thank you Corey for guiding me the right way.

Thanks,
Praveen