CaptureNetworkTraffic - Support for Additional Browsers

Kai

Aug 5, 2009, 2:37:52 PM8/5/09
to selenium-developers
Hi,

The captureNetworkTraffic command in Selenium is awesome. It helps us
to see if an AJAX call happened. However, I noticed that HttpFox is
used to capture the network traffic which is only compatible with
Firefox. We are facing some browser related issues on IE7 with some
AJAX calls and would love to be able to use captureNetworkTraffic
agaisnt Internet Explorer to troubleshoot the issue. As part of the
Selenium roadmap, are there any plans to enhance the
captureNetworkTraffic command to support additional browsers like IE
and Chrome?

Thanks.

Patrick Lightbody

Aug 5, 2009, 2:40:45 PM8/5/09
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
We don't actually use HttpFox (not sure what that is). The trick with
captureNetworkTraffic (I wrote that command) is something I borrowed
from my work at my business (BrowserMob). The way it works is it
routes all traffic through the HTTP proxy.

The problem right now is that only the firefox launcher understands
that launcher option and knows to configure the browser to use the
localhost:4444 HTTP proxy. But if you manually configured IE, for
example, to use localhost:4444 I bet you'll find the command may work
for you.

Patrick

--
On-demand, low-cost load testing using real browsers
http://browsermob.com

Patrick Lightbody
Founder, BrowserMob
+1 (415) 830-5488

corey goldberg

Sep 20, 2009, 12:47:56 AM9/20/09
to selenium-developers
> if you manually configured IE, for
> example, to use localhost:4444 I bet you'll find the command may work

has anyone tried this method to get captureNetworkTraffic working with
IE?

Is there any dev plans to update the launcher code so IE can start
with the proxy configured?

-Corey

corey goldberg

Sep 21, 2009, 11:07:13 AM9/21/09
to selenium-developers
> has anyone tried this method to get captureNetworkTraffic working with
> IE?

fyi I just verified this works if you set IE (in your browser options)
to use localhost:4444

Patrick Lightbody

Sep 25, 2009, 10:50:06 AM9/25/09
to selenium-...@googlegroups.com
Corey, there are plans, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Patches are much appreciated :)

andrew26k

Oct 28, 2009, 7:14:39 AM10/28/09
to selenium-developers
Hi Guys

I'm having problem selenium.start("captureNetworkTraffic=true");

it seems to start a pristine new browser window - completely ignoring
the firefox profile (that holds certificate) I have specified in
selenium server startup.

if I use selenium.start(); correct profile is used. This issue is
really bugging me, can anyone explain why this is happening?

Thank you

Andrew