Steere and “Seronegative Lyme”: “I am convinced this entity exists” and "is associated with MS"

Mort Zuckerman

Sep 15, 2010, 3:15:10 AM9/15/10
To: dwh...@forbes.com, ca...@drcarolgoodheart.com,
Cc: fra...@ucia.gov, dr-ahma...@president.ir,
richar...@yale.edu, harol...@yale.edu, james.p...@yale.edu,
inq...@aldf.com, ly...@idsociety.org, meganm...@theatlantic.com

Subject: Steere and “Seronegative Lyme”: “I am convinced this entity
exists” and "is associated with MS"

Date: Sep 15, 2010 3:12 AM

From the Fabulous Yale Researchery and
Authors of the Un-Penis Theory of
Self-Induced Diseases:

Steere and “Seronegative Lyme,” 1991 (Rheumatology News) – “I am
convinced this entity exists”… and is associated with “the Multiple
Sclerosis form of Lyme”:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.diseases.lyme/msg/50370694d89edf47?hl=en&dmode=source

“If B. burgdorferi does cause this syndrome, it's absolutely amazing
that this spirochete would mimic not only rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
but also multiple sclerosis (MS), two of the most puzzling and
devastating autoimmune diseases.

“Now I would like to proceed to the issue of seronegative Lyme
disease. I am convinced this entity exists. We have evaluated
approximately 200 patients with late Lyme disease in the past 2 years,
and we found that nine, or 5%, were seronegative by ELISA. This
finding coincides with the figure from Ray Dattwyler, MD, at Stony
Brook (SUNY), who first described seronegative Lyme disease. He
stressed that this outcome is more likely to occur in patients who
receive antibiotic therapy during the first several weeks of
infection. Indeed, six of our nine patients (67%) did receive
antibiotic therapy during the first month of illness, a significantly
higher percentage than in our seropositive patients with late Lyme
disease.

“I must emphasize the subtlety of the clinical picture in these
seronegative patients. Two had erythema migrans followed months later
by very mild episodes of arthritis lasting only days. Three of the
patients had a subtle encephalopathy/polyneuropathy picture, resulting
in some memory disturbance accompanies by slight numbness and tingling
in the extremities. They also have CSF and EMG abnormalities. Two of
the patients with neck pain had EMGs that revealed cervical
radiculopathy. The two final patients had a more generalized pain
syndrome with tender points on examination- the clinical picture of
fibromyalgia. ***Three of the patients (one with arthritis and two
with neurologic abnormalities) had only a cellular immune response to
the spirochete.***

- - -

The T-cell proliferative assay in the diagnosis of Lyme disease. (“The
Seronegative Lyme” assay by Allen Steere)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=1883122[uid

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.diseases.lyme/msg/771ff9a0de47ca88?dmode=source
Comparing "The chemical imbalance" platform
of biologic psychiatry, vs the Mr. Peanut-Mr.
Brain dynamic, the researchers said there
was a conflict of opinion regarding such
complicating variables.

KMDickson
http://www.actionlyme.org