Re: Hope it's not too soon to......

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 21, 2007, 5:32:38 PM12/21/07
Helen Back wrote:
> wish everyone who celebrates...... a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

May you have a wonderful Christmas too :-)

> I'm about to finish work for two weeks and am going to enjoy the well earned
> break. I'm going to enjoy cooking wonderful sweets (I have a Cadbury's
> *simply chocolate* cook book!!) and dinner for my boys, safe in the
> knowledge that I have been given wonderfully sound advice here and can now
> protect our bodies in a much more conducive manner, since my diagnosis.

When spending time with family and cooking for them make us feel
hungrier, we know it is good (i.e. what GOD wants us to do).

> Everything in moderation, small portions, no nasty spiking foods, but enjoy,
> enjoy, enjoy!

Joy happens only when we are being blessed by GOD.

We know GOD is blessing us, when we feel hungry.

"Blessed are you who hunger NOW...

... for you will be satisfied." -- LORD Jesus Christ (Luke 6:21)

Amen.

> I'll probably lurk and no doubt will respond when I feel the need - but for
> now, its down tools and RELAX!
>
> All the best to each and everyone of you.

Be hungry... be healthy... be hungrier... be blessed:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/BeBlessed

Prayerfully in the infinite power and might of the Holy Spirit,

Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Lawful steward of http://EmoryCardiology.com

J A

Dec 21, 2007, 11:27:10 PM12/21/07
On Dec 21, 3:32 pm, "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"

<heartdo...@emorycardiology.com> wrote:
> Helen Back wrote:
> > wish everyone who celebrates...... a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!
>
> May you have a wonderful Christmas too :-)

Ask Rabbi Simmons

Why did the majority of the Jewish world reject Jesus as the Messiah,
and why did the first Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah?

Answer

It is important to understand why Jews don't believe in Jesus.
Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

1) Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
2) Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
3) Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
4) Jewish belief is based on national revelation.

At the end of this article, we will examine these additional topics:

5) Christianity contradicts Jewish theology
6) Jews and Gentiles
7) Bringing the Messiah

1) JESUS DID NOT FULFILL THE MESSIANIC PROPHECIES

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he
will:
A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression,
suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword
against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite
humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world --
on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah
14:9).

The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic
prophecies.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming,
but Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies
outright, and no concept of a second coming exists.

2) JESUS DID NOT EMBODY THE PERSONAL QUALIFICATIONS OF MESSIAH

A. MESSIAH AS PROPHET

Jesus was not a prophet. Prophecy can only exist in Israel when the
land is inhabited by a majority of world Jewry. During the time of
Ezra (circa 300 BCE), when the majority of Jews refused to move from
Babylon to Israel, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets
-- Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.
Jesus appeared on the scene approximately 350 years after prophecy had
ended.

B. DESCENDENT OF DAVID

The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David
(see Genesis 49:10 and Isaiah 11:1). According to the Christian claim
that Jesus was the product of a virgin birth, he had no father -- and
thus could not have possibly fulfilled the messianic requirement of
being descended on his father's side from King David!

C. TORAH OBSERVANCE

The Messiah will lead the Jewish people to full Torah observance. The
Torah states that all mitzvot remain binding forever, and anyone
coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false
prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)
Throughout the New Testament, Jesus contradicts the Torah and states
that its commandments are no longer applicable. (see John 1:45 and
9:16, Acts 3:22 and 7:37)

3) MISTRANSLATED VERSES "REFERRING" TO JESUS

Biblical verses can only be understood by studying the original Hebrew
text -- which reveals many discrepancies in the Christian translation.

A. VIRGIN BIRTH

The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in
Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has
always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries
later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with
the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods.

B. CRUCIFIXION

The verse in Psalms 22:17 reads: "Like a lion, they are at my hands
and feet." The Hebrew word ki-ari (like a lion) is grammatically
similar to the word "gouged." Thus Christianity reads the verse as a
reference to crucifixion: "They pierced my hands and feet."

C. SUFFERING SERVANT

Christianity claims that Isaiah chapter 53 refers to Jesus, as the
"suffering servant."
In actuality, Isaiah 53 directly follows the theme of chapter 52,
describing the exile and redemption of the Jewish people. The
prophecies are written in the singular form because the Jews
("Israel") are regarded as one unit. The Torah is filled with examples
of the Jewish nation referred to with a singular pronoun.
Ironically, Isaiah's prophecies of persecution refer in part to the
11th century when Jews were tortured and killed by Crusaders who acted
in the name of Jesus.
From where did these mistranslations stem? St. Gregory, 4th century
Bishop of Nanianzus, wrote: "A little jargon is all that is necessary
to impose on the people. The less they comprehend, the more they
admire."

4) JEWISH BELIEF IS BASED SOLELY ON NATIONAL REVELATION

Of the 15,000 religions in human history, only Judaism bases its
belief on national revelation -- i.e. God speaking to the entire
nation. If God is going to start a religion, it makes sense He'll tell
everyone, not just one person.
Judaism, unique among all of the world's major religions, does not
rely on "claims of miracles" as the basis for its religion. In fact,
the Bible says that God sometimes grants the power of "miracles" to
charlatans, in order to test Jewish loyalty to the Torah (Deut. 13:4).
Maimonides states (Foundations of Torah, ch. 8):
The Jews did not believe in Moses, our teacher, because of the
miracles he performed. Whenever anyone's belief is based on seeing
miracles, he has lingering doubts, because it is possible the miracles
were performed through magic or sorcery. All of the miracles performed
by Moses in the desert were because they were necessary, and not as
proof of his prophecy.
What then was the basis of [Jewish] belief? The Revelation at Mount
Sinai, which we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears, not
dependent on the testimony of others... as it says, "Face to face, God
spoke with you..." The Torah also states: "God did not make this
covenant with our fathers, but with us -- who are all here alive
today." (Deut. 5:3)
Judaism is not miracles. It is the personal eyewitness experience of
every man, woman and child, standing at Mount Sinai 3,300 years ago.
----

5) CHRISTIANITY CONTRADICTS JEWISH THEOLOGY

The following theological points apply primarily to the Roman Catholic
Church, the largest Christian denomination, and the one most familiar
to the Western world.

A. GOD AS THREE?

The Catholic idea of Trinity breaks God into three separate beings:
The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19).
Contrast this to the Shema, the basis of Jewish belief: "Hear O
Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is ONE" (Deut. 6:4). Jews declare
the Shema every day, while writing it on doorposts (Mezuzah), and
binding it to the hand and head (Tefillin). This statement of God's
One-ness is the first words a Jewish child is taught to say, and the
last words uttered before a Jew dies.
In Jewish law, worship of a three-part god is considered idolatry --
one of the three cardinal sins that a Jew should rather give up his
life than transgress. This explains why during the Inquisitions and
throughout history, Jews gave up their lives rather than convert.

B. MAN AS GOD?

Christians believe that God came down to earth in human form, as Jesus
said: "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).
Maimonides devotes most of the "Guide for the Perplexed" to the
fundamental idea that God is incorporeal, meaning that He assumes no
physical form. God is Eternal, above time. He is Infinite, beyond
space. He cannot be born, and cannot die. Saying that God assumes
human form makes God small, diminishing both His unity and His
divinity. As the Torah says: "God is not a mortal" (Numbers 23:19).
Judaism says that the Messiah will be born of human parents, and
possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a
demi-god, and will not possess supernatural qualities. In fact, an
individual is alive in every generation with the capacity to step into
the role of the Messiah. (see Maimonides - Laws of Kings 11:3)

C. INTERMEDIARY FOR PRAYER?

The Catholic belief is that prayer must be directed through an
intermediary -- i.e. confessing one's sins to a priest. Jesus himself
is an intermediary, as Jesus said: "No man cometh unto the Father but
by me."
In Judaism, prayer is a totally private matter, between each
individual and God. As the Bible says: "God is near to all who call
unto Him" (Psalms 145:18). Further, the Ten Commandments state: "You
shall have no other gods BEFORE ME," meaning that it is forbidden to
set up a mediator between God and man. (see Maimonides - Laws of
Idolatry ch. 1)

D. INVOLVEMENT IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD

Catholic doctrine often treats the physical world as an evil to be
avoided. Mary, the holiest woman, is portrayed as a virgin. Priests
and nuns are celibate. And monasteries are in remote, secluded
locations.
By contrast, Judaism believes that God created the physical world not
to frustrate us, but for our pleasure. Jewish spirituality comes
through grappling with the mundane world in a way that uplifts and
elevates. Sex in the proper context is one of the holiest acts we can
perform.
The Talmud says if a person has the opportunity to taste a new fruit
and refuses to do so, he will have to account for that in the World to
Come. Jewish rabbinical schools teach how to live amidst the bustle of
commercial activity. Jews don't retreat from life, we elevate it.

6) JEWS AND GENTILES

Judaism does not demand that everyone convert to the religion. The
Torah of Moses is a truth for all humanity, whether Jewish or not.
King Solomon asked God to heed the prayers of non-Jews who come to the
Holy Temple (Kings I 8:41-43). The prophet Isaiah refers to the Temple
as a "House for all nations."
The Temple service during Sukkot featured 70 bull offerings,
corresponding to the 70 nations of the world. The Talmud says that if
the Romans would have realized how much benefit they were getting from
the Temple, they'd never have destroyed it.
Jews have never actively sought converts to Judaism because the Torah
prescribes a righteous path for gentiles to follow, known as the
"Seven Laws of Noah." Maimonides explains that any human being who
faithfully observes these basic moral laws earns a proper place in
heaven.

For further study of the Seven Laws of Noah, see:

Bnei Noah of Fort Worth
http://www.fastlane.net/~bneinoah/

Path of the Righteous Gentile
http://www.chabad.org/gopher/outlook/7laws/index.html
----

7) BRINGING THE MESSIAH

Maimonides states that the popularity of Christianity (and Islam) is
part of God's plan to spread the ideals of Torah throughout the world.
This moves society closer to a perfected state of morality and toward
a greater understanding of God. All this is in preparation for the
Messianic age.
Indeed, the world is in desperate need of Messianic redemption. War
and pollution threaten our planet; ego and confusion erode family
life. To the extent we are aware of the problems of society, is the
extent we will yearn for redemption. As the Talmud says, one of the
first questions a Jew is asked on Judgment Day is: "Did you yearn for
the arrival of the Messiah?"
How can we hasten the coming of the Messiah? The best way is to love
all humanity generously, to keep the mitzvot of the Torah (as best we
can), and to encourage others to do so as well.

Despite the gloom, the world does seem headed toward redemption. One
apparent sign is that the Jewish people have returned to the Land of
Israel and made it bloom again. Additionally, a major movement is
afoot of young Jews returning to Torah tradition.

The Messiah can come at any moment, and it all depends on our actions.
God is ready when we are. For as King David says: "Redemption will
come today -- if you hearken to His voice."

For further study, read "The Real Messiah" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan

Online resources on the Jewish view of Jesus:
http://www.jewsforjudaism.org
http://www.outreachjudaism.org
http://www.drazin.com With blessings from Jerusalem,

Rabbi Shraga Simmons

Hunger is bad :-)

Dec 22, 2007, 1:06:03 AM12/22/07
As to Christian dietary requirements regarding what was done in the
time of Moses, Peter said in Acts 15:10-11:

"Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the
disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to
bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that
we
are saved, just as they are."

These are the only dietary restrictions that are listed for
Christians
to observe:

"...abstain from food polluted by idols, from the meat of strangled
animals and from blood." Acts 15:20

This is repeated in Acts 15:28-29, so there would be no room for
misunderstanding :

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with
anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from
food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled
animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these
things."

That's all folks.

Read it for yourself:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2015:10-29&version=31

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 22, 2007, 4:53:52 AM12/22/07
satan via a sockpuppet (corporeal demon) hissed:

> > http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/f60867c3abb5be18?

Physical hunger is not a dietary burden but rather knowledge of good
versus evil.

Hunger is wonderful :-)

GOD and HIS blessings are good because they make us feel physically
hungrier.

You are evil, satan.

Your hissing make us feel less hungry.

May we, who have stopped sinning to walk closely with Christ, continue
to rebuke you:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/Rebukesatan

J666

Dec 22, 2007, 8:51:12 AM12/22/07
Andrew B. Chung spoke for Satan

> Your hissing make us feel less hungry.

Now now Andy Boy, do not have a hissy fit about this. A lot of your
posts are just repetitious and show no imagination at all

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 22, 2007, 9:21:59 AM12/22/07
http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/Rebukesatan

<><

May everyone else have a Blessedly Wonderful Christmas...

... by being hungry :-)))

Hunger is wonderful:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/BeBlessed

:-)

Dec 22, 2007, 12:35:15 PM12/22/07

> satan via a sockpuppet (corporeal demon) hissed:

Childish and padantic.

> > As to Christian dietary requirements regarding what was done in the
> > time of Moses, Peter said in Acts 15:10-11:
>
> > "Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the
> > disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to
> > bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that
> > we
> > are saved, just as they are."
>
> > These are the only dietary restrictions that are listed for
> > Christians
> > to observe:
>
> > "...abstain from food polluted by idols, from the meat of strangled
> > animals and from blood." Acts 15:20
>
> > This is repeated in Acts 15:28-29, so there would be no room for
> > misunderstanding :
>
> > "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with
> > anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from
> > food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled
> > animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these
> > things."
>
> > That's all folks.
>
> > Read it for yourself:
> >http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2015:10-29&version=31
>
> Physical hunger is not a dietary burden but rather knowledge of good
> versus evil.

There are plenty of devoted Christians full of the Holy Spirit who
have been overweight their whole lives -Just as there are many very
evil men who have been thin and wiry their whole lives.

> Hunger is wonderful :-)

I never feel hunger. That's the benefit of learning to eat as healthy
as possible. Even when I fast, I don't feel hunger pangs. I start to
lose some physical energy - but I get increased mental energy in
return.
How I do it:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/7ddba40cc44d9960

> GOD and HIS blessings are good because they make us feel physically
> hungrier.

Yes, God has richly blessed me in learning to live a healthier
lifestyle. The only thing I'm physically hungry for theses days - is
activity.

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 22, 2007, 12:42:28 PM12/22/07
http://HeartMDPhD.com/Convicts/Rebukesatan

<><

May everyone else have a Blessedly Wonderful Christmas...

... by being hungrier :-))

Hunger is wonderful:

http://HeartMDPhD.com/HolySpirit/BeBlessed

"Blessed are you who hunger NOW...

... for you will be satisfied." -- LORD Jesus Christ (Luke 6:21)

Amen.

:-)))