Waste your days with Maple, over and over again [Maple 9.5 - MacOSX 10.4.4 - No Interface!]

Vladimir Bondarenko

May 3, 2006, 3:44:44 AM5/3/06
http://beta.mapleprimes.com/forum/maple-9-5---macosx-10-4-4---no-interface

Hello,

I tried to install Maple 9.5 on my Powerbook G4, Mac OSX 10.4.4,
1024MB RAM, but it doesn't start very properly.

A popup opens with the Maple-logo, but the graphic user interface
is not coming up. So I have an empty, blank window and the menues
I can't use. It's not even possible to have a look into the
preferences.

I read in the readme, that Maple requires Java 1.4.2. When typing
"java -version" in the terminal, it says, 1.5.0 is activated.
1.4.2 is on the hard disk, too, so that shouldn't make any
trouble.

I already reinstalled it twice and fixed the access rights.

The Maplesoft support advised me to put the crimson.jar-file into
the Java extensions-folder which I did, but it didn't help. It
worked only once, when I changed nothing, but since then I can't
make it to the interface again. :/

When browsing the web the java-applets tend to be very slow and
the browser even crashes once in a while.

How can I repair the Java-framework to get Maple to work properly
and fast?

I thank you very much for your support!

Best regards,
vegas

Attachment Size
1087_maple.jpg 122.06 KB

By vegas at 2006-02-07 09:27

yhwang 2006-05-02 18:11

Hey there,

Can you check if there are any exceptions being logged in
/Applications/Utilities/Console.app when starting Maple 9.5? They
will show up in the "console.log" file.

There's a way to force Maple to start with the 1.4.2 JVM on the
Mac. Right-click on the Maple 9.5.app icon and choose "Show
Package Contents". Go into the "Contents" folder and open the
"Info.plist" file in any text editor. Look for a line that says

<string>1.4+</string>

and change this to read

<string>1.4*</string>

Let me know if this works for you,

Yu-Hong Wang
Senior GUI Developer

It's Java 1.5
roman_pearce 2006-02-07 15:11

It is a Java problem caused by an incompatibility between Java
1.4 and 1.5 (they removed something Maple uses). This thread
here should help you:

http://beta.mapleprimes.com/forum/problem-with-maple-under-java-1-5-on-osx

unfortunately not

vegas 2006-02-07 19:48

The thread you linked suggests to put the crimson.jar to a
Maple.framework-folder.

Well, unfortunately this folder not even exists, because I don't
use 10, but 9.5. I tried it with several equal folders, but none
of them worked.

The support gave me the hint to put it to /Library/Java/Extensions.
No effect.

Where shall I put that bloody file?!

Roman Pearce

May 4, 2006, 3:07:34 AM5/4/06
The link I posted contained the answer to this user's question. He
obviously didn't read it before posting. You put the file in:
/Library/Frameworks/Maple.Framework/Versions/10/java

DP

May 4, 2006, 4:13:40 AM5/4/06
Vladimir:

For sure you waste your time in wasting our time.

Now we have got the message that you have a fixation on Maple.
That Maple and other similar software packages are imperfect,
we are also all aware. Unfortunately these commercial products
are black boxes that are hard to improve from outside.

May I suggest that you should move on and dedicate your skills
in discovering bugs in free software CAS like Maxima or Axiom?
This would be much better investment of your time IMHO, because
then bugs would be fixed!

Have a nice day,

Dan

Vladimir Bondarenko wrote:
> http://beta.mapleprimes.com/forum/maple-9-5---macosx-10-4-4---no-interface

> Hello,

Roman Pearce

May 4, 2006, 7:20:47 AM5/4/06
Sorry wrong link. In Maple 9.5 it is /Applications/Maple
9.5.app/Contents/MacOS/java

Vladimir Bondarenko

May 4, 2006, 9:23:21 AM5/4/06
Roman Pearce writes on Thu, May 4 2006 10:07 am

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/3128a5e905ec00b9

RP> He obviously didn't read it before posting.

Am I a Maplesoft's VP ? ;)

I am surprised to hear that I didn't read it before posting.
How you are able so see directly through the earth?

On the contrary, of course, I had read it.

And grew hot over it, as I can imagine easily
myself in his boots.

Blast, for crying out loud!

RP> The link I posted contained the answer to this user's
RP> question.

So what?

My message is that with Maplesoft, even installation -
TRADITIONALLY - does not work smoothly, and the
gentleman in question was forced to wait for 2 DAYS
before being able to make the upgrade running.

To WASTE his time!

He has paid his money and has his full right to enjoy
the acquired stuff - this is the gist of my message.

It should just work, immediately.

Vladimir Bondarenko

May 4, 2006, 9:28:00 AM5/4/06
"Roman Pearce" <rpear...@gmail.com>

writes on Thu, May 4 2006 10:07 am

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/3128a5e905ec00b9

RP> He obviously didn't read it before posting.

I am surprised to hear that I didn't read it before posting.
How you are able so see directly through the earth?

On the contrary, of course I had read it.

And grow hot over it. Blast, for crying out loud!

RP> The link I posted contained the answer to this user's question.

Roman Pearce

May 4, 2006, 8:58:15 PM5/4/06
> My message is that with Maplesoft, even installation -
> TRADITIONALLY - does not work smoothly, and the
> gentleman in question was forced to wait for 2 DAYS
> before being able to make the upgrade running.
>
> To WASTE his time!
>
> He has paid his money and has his full right to enjoy
> the acquired stuff - this is the gist of my message.

The reason it didn't work is that Sun broke compatibility between Java
1.4 (which Maple uses) and Java 1.5. They left out a whole component
that Maple uses. Normally this wouldn't be a problem - Maple ships
with a complete copy of Java 1.4 on Windows, Linux, and Unix platforms.
However, on Mac OS X Java is provided by Apple, and it is included as
part of the operating system. You can't get a standalone version to
distribute with your program. So when Apple upgraded systems to use
Java 1.5 by default it broke a bunch of programs, and there was nothing
the developers could do other than to tell users to revert to Java 1.4
as the default, or install missing components for Java 1.5. The
relevant tech support article is here:
http://maplesoft.com/support/faqs/Maple95/Installation/4.aspx

Vladimir Bondarenko

May 4, 2006, 9:38:57 PM5/4/06
Roman Pierce writes...

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/msg/82fb78579b351812

RP> The reason it didn't work is that Sun broke compatibility
RP> between Java 1.4 (which Maple uses) and Java 1.5.
[ ... skipped ...]

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

Unlike the mass of other Maple bugs, this
concrete bug is not introduced by Maplesoft.

rjf

May 5, 2006, 11:26:59 AM5/5/06

It could be a bug in maple if the reason it occurs is
that maple relies on behavior of Java that is non-standard
and just happens to work in Java 1.4. That is, the change
from Java 1.4 is that Sun fixed a bug. It is an error to
write a program that relies on someone else's bug, no?
RJF