Exxon Says Action Needed Now to Combat Global Warming

Roger Coppock

Feb 9, 2007, 4:33:57 PM2/9/07
Exxon Says Action Needed Now to Combat Global Warming (Update4)
[ Yes, believe it or not, that is what the original title said. ]

By Joe Carroll

Feb. 8 (Bloomberg) -- International efforts are urgently needed to
combat global warming and prevent risks of ``serious'' damage to the
environment and economy, said Exxon Mobil Corp., the world's biggest
oil refiner.

``The global ecosystem is showing signs of warming, particularly in
polar areas,'' Kenneth Cohen, Exxon Mobil's vice president of public
affairs, said today on a conference call with reporters. ``The
appropriate debate isn't on whether the climate is changing but rather
should be on what we should be doing about it.''

Cohen's comments are the Irving, Texas-based company's most strident
to date on the topic of climate changes linked to the burning of such
fossil fuels as gasoline, coal and diesel.

Exxon Mobil, pilloried by Greenpeace throughout the 1990s as an enemy
of environmentalism, has been softening its stance on global warming
since early 2000, when former Chief Executive Officer Lee Raymond gave
a speech in London that acknowledged the dangers inherent in climate
change.

``Many people want to stick us in a bucket that says we want to deny
this,'' Cohen said during the call. ``That is flat wrong.''

Temperatures have risen worldwide since the industrial revolution of
the 19th century ushered in more use of fossil fuels, according to the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a creation of the United
Nations and the World Meteorological Organization.

Think-Tank Funding

If the warming trend continues, it could threaten food and fresh-water
supplies and spur malaria and cholera epidemics, according to the
panel. Exxon Mobil scientists participated in some of the studies that
led to the panel's report.

Scientific research indicates the risks from global warming ``warrant
action now,'' Cohen said in materials prepared for today's call. New
policies are needed to ``reduce the risk of serious impacts at a
reasonable cost.''

Exxon Mobil has stopped contributing funds to think tanks like the
conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute because they had become
a ``distraction,'' Cohen said. The company's support for such groups
was aimed at discouraging heavy-handed government approaches to
regulating carbon emissions, rather than debunking scientific
conclusions, Exxon Mobil said.

Exxon Mobil is in discussions with the Brookings Institution and
groups that include Washington-based Resources for the Future about
crafting proposals for U.S. greenhouse-gas policies. Cohen said he
didn't know if the talks would bear fruit before July, when U.S. House
Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said she plans to call a vote on carbon-
emission legislation.

[ . . . ]

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=agXRr5AlykrE

hanson

Feb 9, 2007, 5:02:53 PM2/9/07
"Roger Coppock" <rcop...@adnc.com> wrote in message

> Exxon Says Action Needed Now to Combat Global Warming (Update4)
> [ Yes, believe it or not, that is what the original title said. ]

[hanson]
... ahahaha... you are a bigger moron than I ever thought you
could be, Roger... Exxon and the other Multinnationals have been
trading CO2 credits for along time. It's a huge windfall for them.

But you class 3 enviro, YOU will pay for it, while the climate
changes any way it wants.... ahahaha... AGW or not... ahaha..
Unlike you poor bastard, at least, geriatric Lion Kuntz aka
"Awe Shit" has realized that and bitterly complains about it loudly
and in absolute futility... (instead of him getting in on the act to
get some $$ for himself)... ahahaha....

Environmentalism makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!

Here is more, runt-brain roger:
see here [Green Bible]
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.environment/msg/20543afd0304b3f3

Exxon Creams on Hanson

Feb 9, 2007, 5:22:19 PM2/9/07
On Feb 9, 2:02 pm, "hanson" <han...@quick.net> wrote:
> "Roger Coppock" <rcopp...@adnc.com> wrote in message

> news:1171056837.0...@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...> Exxon Says Action Needed Now to Combat Global Warming (Update4)
> > [ Yes, believe it or not, that is what the original title said. ]

> [hanson]
> ... ahahaha... you are a bigger moron than I ever thought you
> could be, Roger... Exxon and the other Multinnationals have been
> trading CO2 credits for along time. It's a huge windfall for them.

> But you class 3 enviro, YOU will pay for it, while the climate
> changes any way it wants.... ahahaha... AGW or not... ahaha..
> Unlike you poor bastard, at least, geriatric Lion Kuntz aka
> "Awe Shit" has realized that and bitterly complains about it loudly
> and in absolute futility... (instead of him getting in on the act to
> get some $$ for himself)... ahahaha....

> Environmentalism makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!

Sociopaths working for sociopaths, criminal working for crime rings,
getaway drivers like BROWN TURDS HANSON chauffeuring the Organized
Corporate Crime Lords is what "makes the richer richer and the poor
poorer!"

Hanson admits he is a sociopath who keeps score of his rank among
sociopaths with dollars counters. It's not about money -- it's about
predatory sociopathism on victims of opportunity, GETTING AWAY WITH
MURDER. The rich have 1000 years of wealth already stockpiled away.
It's not about money, it's about mass murder.

Only the streethoods worry about money and even value it -- the rich
can only shit on one golden toilet at a time, and money-grubbing is
only habit to them, not entertainment, like killing is.

Getting away with crimes is the thrill. After $20 billion, money is a
bore.

.... it's about wealth-shifting: Exxon shifts YOUR Wealth to Exxon,
Yes, we got it!

http://ScienceCop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TheSunBetrayed
http://sciencecop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TheCarbonWar
http://sciencecop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Cartel+Solar+Patents

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ExxonMobil-GlobalWarming-tob...
Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil's Tobacco-like Disinformation
Campaign on Global Warming Science -- Oil Company Spent Nearly $16
Million to Fund Skeptic Groups, Create Confusion

hanson

Feb 10, 2007, 12:36:58 AM2/10/07
Leon, that is pure enviro poetry, a Psalm of worship you wrote about
me, "hanson, the chauffeur of Organized Corporate Crime Lords" ...
AHAHAHA... ahahaha... AHAHA...This is a keeper!... written for me by

--- Grandpa "Awe Shit" who posted personals under handles like ---
"Saddam's Noose, Exxon's Neck"
aka <Exxon.to.Jail at ScienceCop.info>
aka "Exxon Creams on Hanson"
aka <Death-Rag.Sucks.Exxon.Dick at ecovilliage.us
which are a few of the many handles used by geriatric mental patient
aka "Awe Shit", the bestial homo, who said:
"I cherish my anonymity... living in that basement in a secure,
undisclosed Location... as Lion Kuntz , Retired with walker, in
Santa Rosa, Sonoma Co., California, USA ",... and so, here
now Grandpa Leon "H2-PV, PV-H2" <foo at h2-pv.us> is railing
in his spasmodic tantrum without rhyme nor reason:

[hanson, the chauffeur]
Re: Environmentalism "makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!"

["Awe Shit"]
"Exxon Creams on Hanson" <Death-Rag.Suc...@ecovilliage.us>
w/i news:1171059739.2...@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
Re: "Sociopaths working for sociopaths, criminal working for crime rings,

getaway drivers like BROWN TURDS HANSON chauffeuring the
Organized Corporate Crime Lords is what
"makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!"

[hanson, the chauffeur]

On Feb 9, 2:02 pm, "hanson" <han...@quick.net> wrote:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.environment/msg/4290078c0e20e5d3
it contains:[Lion Kuntz's Turd Count], the [Green Bible] & [Kunt'z collar]

[Roger Poppcoock]

"Roger Coppock" <rcopp...@adnc.com> wrote in message
Exxon Says Action Needed Now to Combat Global Warming (Update4)
Yes, believe it or not, that is what the original title said. ]

[hanson, the chauffeur]
... ahahaha... Roger, you are a bigger moron than I ever thought

you could be, Roger... Exxon and the other Multinnationals have
been trading CO2 credits for along time. It's a huge windfall for
them. But you class 3 enviro, YOU will pay for it, while the climate
changes in any way it wants.... ahahaha... AGW or not... ahaha..

Unlike you poor bastard, at least, geriatric Lion Kuntz aka
"Awe Shit" has realized that and bitterly complains about it loudly
and in absolute futility... (instead of him getting in on the act to
get some $$ for himself)... ahahaha....
**Environmentalism makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!**

[Enter Grandpa "Awe Shit"]

Sociopaths working for sociopaths, criminal working for crime rings,
getaway drivers like BROWN TURDS HANSON chauffeuring the Organized
Corporate Crime Lords is what "makes the richer richer and the poor
poorer!"

[hanson, the chauffeur]
So, whay are you going to do about it, Grandpa, besides saying "Awe Shit".

["Awe Shit"]

[...]

Yes, you got a welfare check, every month, and say "Awe Shit". That's all.

["Awe Shit"]

> http://ScienceCop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TheSunBetrayed
> http://sciencecop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=TheCarbonWar
> http://sciencecop.info/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Cartel+Solar+Patents
> http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ExxonMobil-GlobalWarming-tob...
> Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil's Tobacco-like Disinformation
> Campaign on Global Warming Science -- Oil Company Spent Nearly $16
> Million to Fund Skeptic Groups, Create Confusion

[hanson, the chauffeur]
So, what'ya going to do about it, Grandpa, besides saying "Awe Shit"
See, Grandpa, again you go thru all this work and cajoling... for naught.
You are still railing and waiting for your welfare check instead of doing
something worthwhile, like becoming a chauffeur and making $$$$$.
So, anyway, Grandpa, here are the remedies for your agonies:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.environment/msg/4290078c0e20e5d3
it contains:[Lion Kuntz's Turd Count], the [Green Bible] & [Kunt'z collar]

Now write another ode for/about me, so that you make even more money
for me, just to demonstrate again that:

***Environmentalism "makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!"***

Thanks for the laughs, Leon
ahahaha... ahahahanson

Vendicar Decarian

Mar 10, 2007, 9:13:30 PM3/10/07

"hanson" <han...@quick.net> wrote

> Environmentalism makes the richer richer and the poor poorer!

Then RepubliKKKans must love Environmentalism since it is right in line with
their own political Liedeology.

But wait a minute, they don't So I guess Hanson is just lying again.

Vendicar Decarian

Mar 10, 2007, 9:13:56 PM3/10/07

"hanson" <han...@quick.net> wrote Nothing of Consequence

Warming Report to Warn of Coming Drought, Destruction, Chaos

Mar 10, 7:32 PM (ET)

By SETH BORENSTEIN

WASHINGTON (AP) - The harmful effects of global warming on daily life are
already showing up, and within a couple of decades hundreds of millions of
people won't have enough water, top scientists will say next month at a
meeting in Belgium.

At the same time, tens of millions of others will be flooded out of their
homes each year as the Earth reels from rising temperatures and sea levels,
according to portions of a draft of an international scientific report
obtained by The Associated Press.

Tropical diseases like malaria will spread. By 2050, polar bears will mostly
be found in zoos, their habitats gone. Pests like fire ants will thrive.

For a time, food will be plentiful because of the longer growing season in
northern regions. But by 2080, hundreds of millions of people could face
starvation, according to the report, which is still being revised.

The draft document by the authoritative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change focuses on global warming's effects and is the second in a series of
four being issued this year. Written and reviewed by more than 1,000
scientists from dozens of countries, it still must be edited by government
officials.

But some scientists said the overall message is not likely to change when
it's issued in early April in Brussels, the same city where European Union
leaders agreed this past week to drastically cut greenhouse gas emissions by
2020. Their plan will be presented to President Bush and other world leaders
at a summit in June.

The report offers some hope if nations slow and then reduce their greenhouse
gas emissions, but it notes that what's happening now isn't encouraging.

"Changes in climate are now affecting physical and biological systems on
every continent," the report says, in marked contrast to a 2001 report by
the same international group that said the effects of global warming were
coming. But that report only mentioned scattered regional effects.

"Things are happening and happening faster than we expected," said Patricia
Romero Lankao of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder,
Colo., one of the many co-authors of the new report.

The draft document says scientists are highly confident that many current
problems - change in species' habits and habitats, more acidified oceans,
loss of wetlands, bleaching of coral reefs, and increases in
allergy-inducing pollen - can be blamed on global warming.

For example, the report says North America "has already experienced
substantial ecosystem, social and cultural disruption from recent climate
extremes," such as hurricanes and wildfires.

But the present is nothing compared to the future.

Global warming soon will "affect everyone's life ... it's the poor sectors
that will be most affected," Romero Lankao said.

And co-author Terry Root of Stanford University said: "We truly are standing
at the edge of mass extinction" of species.

The report included these likely results of global warming:

_Hundreds of millions of Africans and tens of millions of Latin Americans
who now have water will be short of it in less than 20 years. By 2050, more
than 1 billion people in Asia could face water shortages. By 2080, water
shortages could threaten 1.1 billion to 3.2 billion people, depending on the
level of greenhouse gases that cars and industry spew into the air.

_Death rates for the world's poor from global warming-related illnesses,
such as malnutrition and diarrhea, will rise by 2030. Malaria and dengue
fever, as well as illnesses from eating contaminated shellfish, are likely
to grow.

_Europe's small glaciers will disappear with many of the continent's large
glaciers shrinking dramatically by 2050. And half of Europe's plant species
could be vulnerable, endangered or extinct by 2100.

_By 2080, between 200 million and 600 million people could be hungry because
of global warming's effects.

_About 100 million people each year could be flooded by 2080 by rising seas.

_Smog in U.S. cities will worsen and "ozone-related deaths from climate
(will) increase by approximately 4.5 percent for the mid-2050s, compared
with 1990s levels," turning a small health risk into a substantial one.

_Polar bears in the wild and other animals will be pushed to extinction.

_At first, more food will be grown. For example, soybean and rice yields in
Latin America will increase starting in a couple of years. Areas outside the
tropics, especially the northern latitudes, will see longer growing seasons
and healthier forests.

Looking at different impacts on ecosystems, industry and regions, the report
sees the most positive benefits in forestry and some improved agriculture
and transportation in polar regions. The biggest damage is likely to come in
ocean and coastal ecosystems, water resources and coastal settlements.

The hardest-hit continents are likely to be Africa and Asia, with major harm
also coming to small islands and some aspects of ecosystems near the poles.
North America, Europe and Australia are predicted to suffer the fewest of
the harmful effects.

"In most parts of the world and most segments of populations, lifestyles are
likely to change as a result of climate change," the draft report said. "Net
valuations of benefits vs. costs will vary, but they are more likely to be
negative if climate change is substantial and rapid, rather than if it is
moderate and gradual."

This report - considered by some scientists the "emotional heart" of climate
change research - focuses on how global warming alters the planet and life
here, as opposed to the more science-focused report by the same group last
month.

"This is the story. This is the whole play. This is how it's going to affect
people. The science is one thing. This is how it affects me, you and the
person next door," said University of Victoria climate scientist Andrew
Weaver.

Many - not all - of those effects can be prevented, the report says, if
within a generation the world slows down its emissions of carbon dioxide and
if the level of greenhouse gases sticking around in the atmosphere
stabilizes. If that's the case, the report says "most major impacts on human
welfare would be avoided; but some major impacts on ecosystems are likely to
occur."

The United Nations-organized network of 2,000 scientists was established in
1988 to give regular assessments of the Earth's environment. The document
issued last month in Paris concluded that scientists are 90 percent certain
that people are the cause of global warming and that warming will continue
for centuries.