Merry Christmas! OBDII Android/iOS freeware recommendations

arlen holder

Dec 25, 2018, 3:27:36 PM12/25/18
Merry Christmas!

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

I do OBDII the old-fashioned way, where, someday, it would be nice, I
think, to have a free app with a universal paid-for transmitter.

Do you know of a good price-to-performance cross-platform-compatible
transmitter that can transmit to both Android & iOS OBD receiver freeware?

I don't know the best cross-platform price-to-performance tradeoffs.

I would guess...
o ELM (or something similar most likely) transmitter (most likely BT?)
o iOS/Android freeware, most likely open source as the receiver & display

What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

Scott Dorsey

Dec 25, 2018, 3:41:25 PM12/25/18
arlen holder <ar...@arlen.com> wrote:
>Merry Christmas!
>
>What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

None. It's pretty much all garbage and the screen on your cellphone is too
small to see more than one plot at a time. If you're looking at multiple
signals and trying to correlate them (say looking at the MAP signal vs.
the O2 sensor voltage) you can't.

Bite the bullet, spend the money, get a proper system with good vendor
support for your car. I could recommend a system that is very good for
Mercedes but it won't necessarily have good support for the Ford commands.
Either get a standalone system or one that will work on a laptop with a
big enough screen that you can see what you're doing.

>I don't know the best cross-platform price-to-performance tradeoffs.

Check the vendors, find someone who has support for your car and look at the
list of available signals. Look at the ones with the longest list.
--scott

nospam

Dec 25, 2018, 4:08:04 PM12/25/18
In article <pvu4li$54t$1...@panix2.panix.com>, Scott Dorsey
<klu...@panix.com> wrote:

> >What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?
>
> None. It's pretty much all garbage and the screen on your cellphone is too
> small to see more than one plot at a time. If you're looking at multiple
> signals and trying to correlate them (say looking at the MAP signal vs.
> the O2 sensor voltage) you can't.

although some (most) apps are garbage, not all of them are. some are
quite good. use a tablet if a phone is too small. multiple signals can
be tracked if desired.

sms

Dec 26, 2018, 12:25:39 PM12/26/18
On 12/25/2018 12:27 PM, arlen holder wrote:
> Merry Christmas!
>
> What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?

I would ante up for Torque Pro. I would not use the free application.

For hardware, buy the Carista. It seems to have less issues connecting
to Bluetooth than the $2 el-cheapo ELM327 devices which do work but
sometimes have a problem when reconnecting after the vehicle is turned
off, requiring unpairing then re-pairing.

There's a big advantage to the Carista if you have one of the vehicles
that they support extra functionality on, but that functionality is not
free.

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YVHGTBM>

The Carista is BLE so it will work with the iPhone (but Torque Pro is
not available on iOS), while the less expensive models are Bluetooth
only, and require SPP which iOS doesn't support.

nospam

Dec 26, 2018, 12:33:37 PM12/26/18
In article <q00dig$dni$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> (but Torque Pro is
> not available on iOS),

who cares. there are *many* other obd apps on ios, some of which are
much better than torque.

> while the less expensive models are Bluetooth
> only,

they're all bluetooth.

some are bluetooth classic while others support both bluetooth classic
and bluetooth le (aka bluetooth 4), with a minor, if any, difference in
price.

> and require SPP which iOS doesn't support.

no need, since bluetooth le obsoletes spp and works much better all
around, even on android.

sms

Dec 26, 2018, 12:45:46 PM12/26/18
On 12/26/2018 9:25 AM, sms wrote:
> On 12/25/2018 12:27 PM, arlen holder wrote:
>> Merry Christmas!
>>
>> What would be your OBDII hardware + Android/iOS freeware recommendation?
>
> I would ante up for Torque Pro. I would not use the free application.
>
> For hardware, buy the Carista. It seems to have less issues connecting
> to Bluetooth than the $2 el-cheapo ELM327 devices which do work but
> sometimes have a problem when reconnecting after the vehicle is turned
> off, requiring unpairing then re-pairing.
>
> There's a big advantage to the Carista if you have one of the vehicles
> that they support extra functionality on, but that functionality is not
> free.

Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
Toyota and VW. Carista gives you a month of their app for free and of
course you could sign up for a month if you ever need that functionality
for a short time. The extended functionality includes vehicle
customization that would normally have to be done at a dealer, as well
as some additional non-standard diagnostics.
<https://caristaapp.com/all-vehicles>

arlen holder

Dec 26, 2018, 1:35:42 PM12/26/18
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 09:45:41 -0800, sms wrote:

> Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
> the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
> Toyota and VW.

Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
support some of the standard protocols.

Mostly I'll be on Android (it's always easier than iOS) but my iPads have
larger screens than my Android phablet does.

I do have a bimmer, but this question is mostly for other cars, as I
already have _all_ the BMW EDIABAS based factory (mostly in German) &
dealer software that my model uses, where I use INPA & Progman mostly
(where Progman requires emulation), but also I have downloads for DIS/GT1 &
EasyDIS (which also requires emulation) in addition to NCSExpert & NCS
Dummies and ToolSet32 & WinKFP & ToolSet32 - where I'm just looking at my
software archive as I've gathered a lot over the years since the links tend
to die quickly. (Most of the time, I just use INPA as I rarely need to
program the dozen or so electrical control units).

This software was originally written for RS232, but it's all USB cabling
nowadays, where my older bimmer is K-Line but most D-CAN cables with the
FTDI chip are backwards compatible.

For the other cars though, I don't have the dealer & factory software, so I
just use the old-style (cabled) OBDII readers with live data, but I am
always wanting to see the data on my phone while I'm driving, particularly
with intermittent issues which set triggers in modules which aren't deleted
with a normal OBDII clear.

nospam

Dec 26, 2018, 1:44:05 PM12/26/18
In article <q00hlr$c2n$1...@news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<ar...@arlen.com> wrote:

> > Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
> > the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
> > Toyota and VW.
>
> Thanks for the Carista recommendation and the warning that iOS doesn't
> support some of the standard protocols.

ios supports the more advanced protocols. most (but not all) android
devices also support them. spp is *obsolete*.

William Gothberg

Dec 26, 2018, 1:46:44 PM12/26/18
In article <261220181344014176%nos...@nospam.invalid>,
nos...@nospam.invalid says...
I have a walmart phone.

nospam

Dec 26, 2018, 1:48:14 PM12/26/18
In article <MPG.368d7a7...@news.eternal-september.org>,
William Gothberg <W...@internet.com> wrote:

> I have a walmart phone.

walmart sells phones from other manufacturers. they don't make their
own.

William Gothberg

Dec 26, 2018, 1:50:16 PM12/26/18
Fuck off, you're a fake William Gothberg, did you think I wouldn't notice?

William Gothberg

Dec 26, 2018, 1:51:20 PM12/26/18
Congratulations, you've replied to the Fake William Gothberg.

sms

Dec 26, 2018, 3:29:12 PM12/26/18
Torque Pro is a really awesome app. An Android phone and a Bluetooth
OBD-II dongle is much superior to the cheap OBD-II readers.

One really nice thing is being to set alarms for things like engine
temperature.

I keep seeing people ask "is there an equivalent to Torque Pro for iOS?"
No there isn't. There are iOS Apps for OBD-II but nothing as good as
Torque Pro.

---

nospam

Dec 26, 2018, 3:30:17 PM12/26/18
In article <q00oal$b47$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> I keep seeing people ask "is there an equivalent to Torque Pro for iOS?"
> No there isn't. There are iOS Apps for OBD-II but nothing as good as
> Torque Pro.

nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Scott Dorsey

Dec 26, 2018, 8:31:00 PM12/26/18
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>Specifically, you get the dealer-level functionality (which goes beyond
>the standard OBD-II functionality) on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion,
>Toyota and VW. Carista gives you a month of their app for free and of
>course you could sign up for a month if you ever need that functionality
>for a short time. The extended functionality includes vehicle
>customization that would normally have to be done at a dealer, as well
>as some additional non-standard diagnostics.

In the case of Carista, there is a -lot- of stuff that the BMW dealer can
configure with their system that Carista can't touch. And forget trying
to do transmission diagnostics. But for the most part Carista lets you
see the engine parameters that you need to see and a reasonable number of
non-engine things, and it's hard to beat the price. Still, you're stuck
with that tiny little screen and the flake-o hardware interface.

arlen holder

Dec 26, 2018, 10:02:13 PM12/26/18
On 26 Dec 2018 20:30:58 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> there is a -lot- of stuff that the BMW dealer can
> configure with their system that Carista can't touch. And forget trying
> to do transmission diagnostics.

I use INPA, almost exclusively, for the bimmer, where we have to
distinguish OBD from everything else for this particular question.

The question here was really only about OBD, since I assume everyone who
wants to check things like their VANOS timing or their transmission shift
points or doorlock preferences, will already have the factory/dealer
software for checking and setting these myriad non-OBD things.

You start with the Bentleys & INPA, where BT OBD is merely a convenience.

arlen holder

Dec 26, 2018, 10:03:12 PM12/26/18
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 15:30:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

> nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.

Please just name one (link) if that's the case.

sms

Dec 27, 2018, 12:10:34 PM12/27/18
LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
outrageously priced).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8
is rated 2.4 out of 5. They do explain that only certain types of OBD-II
dongles will work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US
is rated 4.5 out of 5. It just has a lot more functionality.

Still puzzled as to why the Bluetooth SPP profile was left out of iOS.
No one has ever had a good answer to that.

nospam

Dec 27, 2018, 12:27:08 PM12/27/18
In article <q03127$qp3$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.
> >
> > Please just name one (link) if that's the case.
>
> LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
> of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal.

no, you don't 'often see inquiries' and there definitely are such apps
on ios.

> I don't know why
> the author doesn't port it to iOS

because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
interested.

> with the appropriate caveats regarding
> which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
> dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
> outrageously priced).

nonsense.

they're about the same price, maybe a couple of bucks more for a
bluetooth le version, which is also much easier to set up and use than
bluetooth classic.

the wifi adapters are more expensive, however, they are intended for
use with something that doesn't have bluetooth, such as most windows
laptops (all mac laptops have bluetooth le and classic).

> Still puzzled as to why the Bluetooth SPP profile was left out of iOS.
> No one has ever had a good answer to that.

plenty of people have.

the answer is simple: spp is obsolete, having been replaced by the far
more capable bluetooth le.

writing apps to use le is *very* easy. not so with spp.

arlen holder

Dec 27, 2018, 2:04:30 PM12/27/18
On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 12:27:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

> no, you don't 'often see inquiries' and there definitely are such apps
> on ios.

Hi nospam,
Doesn't it strike you as odd that you make claim after claim after claim,
over the years, and _none_ of your claims ever turns out to be true?

Meanwhile, sms and I make claims, which we back up with cites.

It doesn't strike you as odd that you don't act like a normal adult does?

> because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
> support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
> interested.

Or it can't be done on iOS the way he wants it done (e.g., Bluetooth SPP),
or he doesn't want to put up with Apple's bullshit, or ... whatever
conjecture you want to devise.

What's odd about you nospam is that you can never speak on facts.

The fact is that the functionality sms speaks of doesn't exist on iOS, and
all your denials of that obvious fact don't change that obvious fact.

> they're about the same price, maybe a couple of bucks more for a
> bluetooth le version, which is also much easier to set up and use than
> bluetooth classic.

The last time you made similar idiotic fact-free claims was when you
claimed there was functionality for a buck that turned out to be yet
another baseless claim by you nospam, to add to the heap of baseless
claims.
o Name a single iOS app functionality that you can get for a buck, that isn't already on Android, for free
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/aUyeuaPI9pc/KHQx-ecNBAAJ>

Your credibility, nospam, is worse than that of the monkey.

> the answer is simple: spp is obsolete, having been replaced by the far
> more capable bluetooth le.

You Apple Apologists, nospam, always makes myriad excuses for the limited
functionality of iOS versus Android.

It's why we summarized the Apple/Android delta, accurately, as:
o Hardware (about the same, Apple slightly less functional in general)
o Apps (about the same for Mom & Pop - not even close for power users)
o Storage (a completely different paradigm - no way to compare logically)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ahrT3Qpy_aE/cjFcFbxZDAAJ>

nospam

Dec 27, 2018, 4:47:05 PM12/27/18
In article <q037nr$6ru$1...@news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<ar...@arlen.com> wrote:

> > because he doesn't have the resources and/or skills to develop and
> > support two apps on two different platforms. or, he's simply not
> > interested.
>
> Or it can't be done on iOS the way he wants it done (e.g., Bluetooth SPP),
> or he doesn't want to put up with Apple's bullshit, or ... whatever
> conjecture you want to devise.

bluetooth le is not 'apple's bullshit'.

bluetooth le, aka bluetooth 4, replaces bluetooth classic (v3 and
earlier) for almost everything. spp is *obsolete*.

it's *easier* to write apps using btle (i've done it; you have not, nor
has sms) and it does a *lot* more than spp could ever possibly do.

arlen holder

Dec 27, 2018, 7:54:54 PM12/27/18
On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 16:47:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

> it's *easier* to write apps using btle (i've done it; you have not, nor
> has sms) and it does a *lot* more than spp could ever possibly do.

*The only people who believe _anything_ you say, nospam, are Apologists.*

FACTS

The fact is that the OBD functionality sms speaks of, is, based on what is
said in this thread by reliable people (i.e., not you, nospam), does not
exist on iOS.

This apparent lack of OBD functionality seems that it might be very similar
to the known lack of TOR functionality on iOS, where, in the case of TOR,
there are no sanctioned apps by the Guardian Project, but only "suggested"
third-best alternatives (where the Guardian Project explains that iOS simply
utterly lacks in the necessary API functionality).
<https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en>
<https://guardianproject.info/apps/orweb/>

Those two cases may be different from the myriad other cases of utter lack
of functionality on iOS (e.g., there is no ability to graph wifi signal
strength over time, no torrenting, no automatic call recording, no app
launchers, no second source for apps, etc.).

Why does iOS _always_ prove to lack basic app functionality?
I don't know why.
It just always does.

I'm not saying I know all the reasons that iOS lacks app functionality.

I am just saying that there are so very many cases where iOS lacks app
functionality that Android has had for years, that your assertions always
ring hollow that apps on iOS can even *approach* that which they do on
Android.

In this situation, sms is more trustworthy - as you are not.
(Your record on trust is worse than that of a liar & politician & salesman.)

Why you _always_ lie, nospam, is beyond me - since you gain nothing.
It's a habit you need to kick - since you have zero credibility.

*The only people who believe _anything_ you say, nospam, are Apologists.*

nospam

Dec 27, 2018, 8:22:36 PM12/27/18
In article <q03s8p$ebv$1...@news.mixmin.net>, arlen holder
<ar...@holder.com> wrote:

> The fact is that the OBD functionality sms speaks of, is, based on what is
> said in this thread by reliable people (i.e., not you, nospam), does not
> exist on iOS.

that's not a fact at all. it's pure rubbish.

the obd functionality is entirely within the obd device that plugs into
the vehicle's obd port.

that device reads assorted info from the vehicle and sends it via
bluetooth to an ios or android device. there are also models that use
wifi or usb, usually to be used with a laptop, as most windows laptops
do not have bluetooth built in (macs do).

there is *no* limitation on what can be done with that data, other than
the skill of the app developer writing the app and how much effort they
wish to expend in doing so.

i've written *several* apps that use obd and bluetooth. you have not,
nor has sms.

rbowman

Dec 27, 2018, 11:16:44 PM12/27/18
On 12/27/2018 10:10 AM, sms wrote:
> LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
> of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
> the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
> which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
> dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
> outrageously priced).

Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

nospam

Dec 27, 2018, 11:27:36 PM12/27/18
In article <g8lmd8...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
> may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.

if you don't develop for ios, you're not in a position to comment about
ios being a 'pain in the ass', and if you're using xamarin for app
development, you're even less in a position to comment.

i've done native app development for both ios and android, and ios is
*much* easier.

sms

Dec 28, 2018, 7:53:25 AM12/28/18
Understood, but for a paid app, that is extremely popular, with
>1,000,00 installs and >55,000 reviews, you'd think that the pain might
be worth it for the author. Especially because you often see people
asking "is there an equivalent app to Torque Pro for the iPhone?" Even
prior to BLE, there were Wi-Fi OBD-II dongles being used with OBD-II iOS
apps (which were a pain because you could only have one Wi-Fi connection
at a time from a phone, but still usable for diagnostics, just not
continuous monitoring). Developing for BLE is more difficult than using
Bluetooth SPP, but not magnitudes more difficult.

nospam

Dec 28, 2018, 10:00:09 AM12/28/18
In article <q056c2$rsc$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Understood, but for a paid app, that is extremely popular, with
> >1,000,00 installs and >55,000 reviews, you'd think that the pain might
> be worth it for the author.

nope. if it's only one person, his hands are full with that one app.

developing for and supporting two different platforms is a lot more
work than just one and it's hard to do both well.

> Especially because you often see people
> asking "is there an equivalent app to Torque Pro for the iPhone?"

nope, but for those that do ask, the answer is overwhelmingly 'yes'.

> Even
> prior to BLE, there were Wi-Fi OBD-II dongles being used with OBD-II iOS
> apps (which were a pain because you could only have one Wi-Fi connection
> at a time from a phone, but still usable for diagnostics, just not
> continuous monitoring).

false. it works quite well for continuous monitoring, but the main
intent of a wifi dongle was for laptop use.

> Developing for BLE is more difficult than using
> Bluetooth SPP, but not magnitudes more difficult.

nonsense. developing for bluetooth le is *significantly* easier for a
number reasons. i've done both. you have not.

stop making up shit.

rbowman

Dec 28, 2018, 10:08:36 AM12/28/18
Yeah, you've made it abundantly clear that you're an Apple fanboi.
Personally, I've had one Apple product in my life -- a Shuffle someone
gave me. It isn't bad but itunes sucks.

I'm a hired gun so I would have worked on Apple stuff if anyone ever
wanted to pay me to do so, but they never did.

rbowman

Dec 28, 2018, 10:21:01 AM12/28/18
On 12/28/2018 05:53 AM, sms wrote:
> On 12/27/2018 8:18 PM, rbowman wrote:
>> On 12/27/2018 10:10 AM, sms wrote:
>>> LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
>>> of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal. I don't know why
>>> the author doesn't port it to iOS with the appropriate caveats regarding
>>> which OBD-II dongles will work with the iOS version (you can use Wi-Fi
>>> dongles or BLE dongles, which are six times as expensive, but still not
>>> outrageously priced).
>>
>> Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android
>> and may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.
>
> Understood, but for a paid app, that is extremely popular, with
>>1,000,00 installs and >55,000 reviews, you'd think that the pain might
> be worth it for the author. Especially because you often see people
> asking "is there an equivalent app to Torque Pro for the iPhone?"

Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it... Buying the Apple
hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
Apple store puts a little bump in the road. For Android you download
Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
you're good to go. I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
they're not there yet.

nospam

Dec 28, 2018, 10:42:39 AM12/28/18
In article <g8msjg...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> >> Mostly because iOS is a pain in the ass. We develop apps for Android and
> >> may do iOS someday using Xamarin, but it isn't a high priority.
> >
> > if you don't develop for ios, you're not in a position to comment about
> > ios being a 'pain in the ass', and if you're using xamarin for app
> > development, you're even less in a position to comment.
> >
> > i've done native app development for both ios and android, and ios is
> > *much* easier.
>
> Yeah, you've made it abundantly clear that you're an Apple fanboi.

ad hominem.

two can play that game: you've made it abundantly clear that you're an
apple hater fueled by myths.

> Personally, I've had one Apple product in my life -- a Shuffle someone
> gave me. It isn't bad but itunes sucks.

then you're even less in a position to comment.

> I'm a hired gun so I would have worked on Apple stuff if anyone ever
> wanted to pay me to do so, but they never did.

you're asking the wrong people. there's a *huge* demand for apple
development and it pays *quite* well.

nospam

Dec 28, 2018, 10:42:40 AM12/28/18
In article <g8mtap...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it... Buying the Apple
> hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
> Apple store puts a little bump in the road.

not at all. write a decent app and you'll recover any costs many times
over. there's nothing to deal with the app store either. when the app
is done, submit it.

> For Android you download
> Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
> you're good to go.

same for ios.

xcode is free and pick up a cheap iphone for testing. done. and if
you're *that* cheap (and not interested in quality of work), use the
simulator and let your beta testers test on actual hardware.

> I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
> powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
> they're not there yet.

a b&n nook is in no way comparable to an iphone or ipad.

rbowman

Dec 28, 2018, 9:17:06 PM12/28/18
On 12/28/2018 08:42 AM, nospam wrote:
> you're asking the wrong people. there's a *huge* demand for apple
> development and it pays *quite* well.

I'm sure it does if you're in the right field, but the world I live in
doesn't do Apple. If we do something for iPhones it is only as
peripherals. There may be emergency dispatch centers that run on os x
but I don't know of any. Generally the RFQ's spec Windows Server, SQL
Server, ESRI, and so forth. Even ESRI is a killer; ArcDesktop can run on
a Mac -- sort of. Fire up Boot Camp or VMWare and run Windows.

I did work on one project that used Macs although I was not involved in
that part. The early Mac that was a cube was the only thing that could
meet TEMPEST requirements.

I'm sure you will reel of all sorts of counter examples but I've always
associated Apple with consumer oriented devices and software and that's
not been my meal ticket.

rbowman

Dec 28, 2018, 9:24:02 PM12/28/18
On 12/28/2018 08:42 AM, nospam wrote:
> not at all. write a decent app and you'll recover any costs many times
> over. there's nothing to deal with the app store either. when the app
> is done, submit it.

Therein lies the rub in our business model. We're doing proprietary
applications for a very limited audience and the app store is not the
way to go.

> xcode is free and pick up a cheap iphone for testing. done. and if
> you're *that* cheap (and not interested in quality of work), use the
> simulator and let your beta testers test on actual hardware.

Ah, yes, the simulator... Snore...

>> I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
>> powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
>> they're not there yet.
> a b&n nook is in no way comparable to an iphone or ipad.

I never said it was. However it is an Android device that I can side
load an apk on.

nospam

Dec 28, 2018, 10:43:55 PM12/28/18
In article <g8o45v...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> > not at all. write a decent app and you'll recover any costs many times
> > over. there's nothing to deal with the app store either. when the app
> > is done, submit it.
>
> Therein lies the rub in our business model. We're doing proprietary
> applications for a very limited audience and the app store is not the
> way to go.

you didn't mention proprietary apps, however, there are alternative
methods for app deployment that do *not* involve the app store at all
for exactly that scenario. the app store is not the only option.

> > xcode is free and pick up a cheap iphone for testing. done. and if
> > you're *that* cheap (and not interested in quality of work), use the
> > simulator and let your beta testers test on actual hardware.
>
> Ah, yes, the simulator... Snore...

you've never used it, so you're not in a position to comment.

it was simply a suggestion for those who *really* want to cheap out.

> >> I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
> >> powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
> >> they're not there yet.
> > a b&n nook is in no way comparable to an iphone or ipad.
>
> I never said it was.

yet you compared its price to an iphone or ipad.

the reason it's $50 is because its specs are lower.

> However it is an Android device that I can side
> load an apk on.

that would depend on what the apk does. if it needs functionality not
found in a $50 device, you're going to have problems.

nospam

Dec 28, 2018, 10:43:56 PM12/28/18
In article <g8o3ou...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> I did work on one project that used Macs although I was not involved in
> that part. The early Mac that was a cube was the only thing that could
> meet TEMPEST requirements.

the cube was a *long* time ago.

> I'm sure you will reel of all sorts of counter examples but I've always
> associated Apple with consumer oriented devices and software and that's
> not been my meal ticket.

there's nothing wrong with focusing on consumer products. it's a *huge*
and *very* lucrative market, although apple is not solely consumer
focused.

rbowman

Dec 29, 2018, 3:05:24 PM12/29/18
On 12/28/2018 08:43 PM, nospam wrote:
> In article <g8o3ou...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
> <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
>

>> I did work on one project that used Macs although I was not involved in
>> that part. The early Mac that was a cube was the only thing that could
>> meet TEMPEST requirements.
>
> the cube was a *long* time ago.

Yes, it was. 1985, iirc. My end of the project involved the TI TMS9900
microprocessor. It had little going for it other than being one of the
few radiation hardened devices at the time. The Macs were used for
documentation and as I said were selected because they meant TEMPEST
specifications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_%28codename%29

The Russkies were squatting out in the bushes, dontcha know. It's always
the Russians. I doubt if they bothered to skulk around our bushes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985:_The_Year_of_the_Spy

> there's nothing wrong with focusing on consumer products. it's a *huge*
> and *very* lucrative market, although apple is not solely consumer
> focused.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with consumer products. I've never
worked in that sector, and hence have never been involved with Apple
products. iPhones and iPads have started making some inroads as
information delivery devices in my world. However the focus has been
more on ruggedized devices, be they laptops or tablets.

https://www.fieldtechnologiesonline.com/doc/the-ipad-vs-the-rugged-tablet-whats-what-0001

That is not a market Apple addresses and being a walled garden no third
party can do so. End of the World Industries can make an Android tablet
that will survive, but it better not start with 'i'.

That said, personal devices are penetrating the workspace and if some
cop prefers to use an iPhone we've got to deal with it. Sometime. It
won't be me personally.

nospam

Dec 29, 2018, 5:06:18 PM12/29/18
In article <g8q2c0...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> >> I did work on one project that used Macs although I was not involved in
> >> that part. The early Mac that was a cube was the only thing that could
> >> meet TEMPEST requirements.
> >
> > the cube was a *long* time ago.
>
> Yes, it was. 1985, iirc.

no it wasn't.

the cube was 2000-2001:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube>

it was a tip of the hat to steve jobs' original next cube, which was
announced in 1989 and shipped in 1990:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTcube>

in 1985, only the mac 128k and 512k existed, with the 512k/e in late
1985. the mac plus was released in january, 1986.

> My end of the project involved the TI TMS9900
> microprocessor. It had little going for it other than being one of the
> few radiation hardened devices at the time. The Macs were used for
> documentation and as I said were selected because they meant TEMPEST
> specifications.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_%28codename%29
>
> The Russkies were squatting out in the bushes, dontcha know. It's always
> the Russians. I doubt if they bothered to skulk around our bushes.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985:_The_Year_of_the_Spy
>
> > there's nothing wrong with focusing on consumer products. it's a *huge*
> > and *very* lucrative market, although apple is not solely consumer
> > focused.
>
> Certainly there's nothing wrong with consumer products. I've never
> worked in that sector, and hence have never been involved with Apple
> products.

apple does more than just consumer, although that is definitely where
they're strongest.

> iPhones and iPads have started making some inroads as
> information delivery devices in my world. However the focus has been
> more on ruggedized devices, be they laptops or tablets.

there's more to an iphone and ipad than information delivery.

> https://www.fieldtechnologiesonline.com/doc/the-ipad-vs-the-rugged-tablet-what
> s-what-0001
>
> That is not a market Apple addresses and being a walled garden no third
> party can do so. End of the World Industries can make an Android tablet
> that will survive, but it better not start with 'i'.

nonsense.

there are numerous ruggedized cases for iphones and ipads, with
otterbox being the most well known. they're bulky, but they do
withstand a *lot* of abuse. there is also no walled garden, a myth that
will never die.

here's one with a keyboard:
<https://www.zagg.com/eu/en_eu/keyboards/rugged-book-keyboard-case>

here's a screen protector that withstands hammering:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsxl1bRTldo>
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtMn79-hr9E>

and there's even a bulletproof case:
<http://www.marudai-corp.com/iphone-case/e-info-product.html>

> That said, personal devices are penetrating the workspace and if some
> cop prefers to use an iPhone we've got to deal with it. Sometime. It
> won't be me personally.

your loss.

rbowman

Dec 29, 2018, 5:53:33 PM12/29/18
On 12/29/2018 03:06 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> the cube was a *long* time ago.
>>
>> Yes, it was. 1985, iirc.
>
> no it wasn't.
>
> the cube was 2000-2001:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube>

Excuse me. Not being an Apple user I'm not familiar with the pet terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K

To my eyes it looked like a cube.

> in 1985, only the mac 128k and 512k existed, with the 512k/e in late
> 1985. the mac plus was released in january, 1986.

Precisely. The rather cubical looking Mac...

> there's more to an iphone and ipad than information delivery.

Yes there is. However all we are concerned with is delivering updated
incident or dispatch information to emergency responders. If they want
to play Angry Birds in their spare time, good for them.

>> https://www.fieldtechnologiesonline.com/doc/the-ipad-vs-the-rugged-tablet-what
>> s-what-0001

> there are numerous ruggedized cases for iphones and ipads, with
> otterbox being the most well known. they're bulky, but they do
> withstand a *lot* of abuse. there is also no walled garden, a myth that
> will never die.

Obviously you didn't read the link. An iPad in an otterbox is NOT a
ruggedized tablet.

https://gizmodo.com/should-the-supreme-court-knock-the-first-brick-out-of-a-1830569176

You're right. The walled garden is the myth that will never die. The
strategy has worked well for Apple so don't try to deny it.

> your loss.

Not in the least.

nospam

Dec 30, 2018, 12:10:41 AM12/30/18
In article <g8qc7a...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, it was. 1985, iirc.
> >
> > no it wasn't.
> >
> > the cube was 2000-2001:
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube>
>
> Excuse me. Not being an Apple user I'm not familiar with the pet terms.

it's not a pet term. it was called a cube because it was actually a
cube.

it did have an acrylic casing to raise it off the table for cable
management, however.

it was also designed to *easily* be opened without any tools. flip it
over, push in the handle to pop it out, then lift, giving full access
to the internals, the very opposite of a 'walled garden'.

<https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/Pw6YRIHwmiDYUWTX.large>
<https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/2STkBEy42mB2okjN.large>
<https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/AuJkNVuB3RH4NjKl.large>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K
>
> To my eyes it looked like a cube.

then your eyes need to be checked, along with a refresher on geometry.

> > in 1985, only the mac 128k and 512k existed, with the 512k/e in late
> > 1985. the mac plus was released in january, 1986.
>
> Precisely. The rather cubical looking Mac...

it did not look like a cube:
<http://photos2.insidercdn.com/1125-128kmac-2.jpg>

> > there's more to an iphone and ipad than information delivery.
>
> Yes there is. However all we are concerned with is delivering updated
> incident or dispatch information to emergency responders. If they want
> to play Angry Birds in their spare time, good for them.

angry birds is passe. even pokemon go is mostly passe. fortnite is
where it's at now.

> >> https://www.fieldtechnologiesonline.com/doc/the-ipad-vs-the-rugged-tablet-w
> >> hats-what-0001
>
> > there are numerous ruggedized cases for iphones and ipads, with
> > otterbox being the most well known. they're bulky, but they do
> > withstand a *lot* of abuse. there is also no walled garden, a myth that
> > will never die.
>
> Obviously you didn't read the link.

i did and it's bullshit.

rugged means able to withstand extreme conditions and abuse.

rugged does *not* mean encryption, tco and compatibility, what the
article discusses.

all ios devices are fully encrypted, can be remote wiped if necessary
and centrally managed for large (or not so large) deployment, so that
is not an issue.

the article speculates that an ipad would overall cost more despite
having a lower initial cost due to frequent failures, however, they
offer with zero evidence to support that. it also incorrectly assumes
that by the time an app is released, a newer incompatible ipad would be
released, which is also wrong.

the article was surprised that american airlines would choose ipads for
the cockpit, something other airlines have also done since the article
was written, due to their reliability and lower cost versus managing
the paper it replaces. that alone contradicts the article's claims.

it's also a 6 year old article which is even more incorrect now than it
was when written.

> An iPad in an otterbox is NOT a
> ruggedized tablet.

yes it is. rugged means it's able to withstand extremes and abuse,
which is already pretty good but with an otterbox even more so.

it does not mean encryption, tco or app compatibility.

> https://gizmodo.com/should-the-supreme-court-knock-the-first-brick-out-of-a-18
> 30569176
>
> You're right. The walled garden is the myth that will never die. The
> strategy has worked well for Apple so don't try to deny it.

that's not a walled garden, especially since the app store not the only
way to install apps.

nothing prevents anyone from writing their own custom ios apps for
whatever purpose or hiring someone to do so if they lack the skills.

there is no requirement to use the app store (which i explained in
another post). there are a *lot* of custom corporate apps on ios that
never see the app store.

and let's not forget windows 10s, which *only* runs apps from the
microsoft app store, making *it* the walled garden, not apple.

game consoles also have very limited options for titles, also walled.

having an app store with vetted apps is not inherently bad. it greatly
reduces the amount of malware and other crap that people install,
rending a system unstable and/or not secure.

the malware vectors where one can pwn a windows system do not exist on
ios.

nothing is perfect and something could potentially slip through the
cracks, but if it does, it's quickly removed from the store. in extreme
cases, it can be uninstalled, something google has had to do on several
occasions, while apple has not.

in other words, ios software is 'rugged'.

sms

Dec 31, 2018, 2:54:55 AM12/31/18
On 12/28/2018 7:22 AM, rbowman wrote:

> Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it...  Buying the Apple
> hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
> Apple store puts a little bump in the road. For Android you download
> Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
> you're good to go. I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
> powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
> they're not there yet.

True, it's much more efficient to develop specialized, non-consumer
apps, on Android, as well as being easier to deploy them. Apple is
solely consumer-electronics focused, with little interest in supporting
niche markets.

There are other advantages to developing for Android as well, including
much more complete support for industry standards like Bluetooth and
NMEA. I don't think that the cost of buying a Mac, when developing an
iOS app, is really an issue. You can just buy a used Mac Mini for a
couple of hundred dollars. But deploying an iOS app to a niche market is
more of an issue.

nospam

Dec 31, 2018, 3:18:40 AM12/31/18
In article <q0ci0c$agp$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe, if a million iPhone users were asking for it...  Buying the Apple
> > hardware to develop on, learning the new toolchain, and dealing with the
> > Apple store puts a little bump in the road. For Android you download
> > Android Studio to your Windows box, pick up a cheap Android device, and
> > you're good to go. I just bought a 7" B&N Nook for $50. It's no
> > powerhouse but it's acceptable. Apple might be trimming prices a bit but
> > they're not there yet.
>
> True, it's much more efficient to develop specialized, non-consumer
> apps, on Android, as well as being easier to deploy them. Apple is
> solely consumer-electronics focused, with little interest in supporting
> niche markets.

completely false.

developing and deploying for ios is a lot easier than android,
regardless of what type of app it is, largely because of the zillions
of devices needed to support and test, and apple is *not* solely
consumer focused in the least.

> There are other advantages to developing for Android as well, including
> much more complete support for industry standards like Bluetooth and
> NMEA.

more bs. apple was first to support bluetooth le on a mobile device.

> I don't think that the cost of buying a Mac, when developing an
> iOS app, is really an issue. You can just buy a used Mac Mini for a
> couple of hundred dollars. But deploying an iOS app to a niche market is
> more of an issue.

nonsense. niche markets can be very lucrative, and because of that can
easily justify much more than a used mac for development.

rbowman

Dec 31, 2018, 1:15:25 PM12/31/18
On 12/31/2018 01:18 AM, nospam wrote:
> developing and deploying for ios is a lot easier than android,
> regardless of what type of app it is, largely because of the zillions
> of devices needed to support and test, and apple is *not* solely
> consumer focused in the least.

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/21320.html

How's that Xserve doing? Oh, I forgot. It was discontinued in 2011 to be
replaced by Mac Pro Server. How's that one going? Oops, it lasted two years.

You keep saying Apple is not solely consumer focused. So where has it
penetrated enterprise level solutions?

nospam

Dec 31, 2018, 1:59:28 PM12/31/18
In article <g8v4lq...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> You keep saying Apple is not solely consumer focused. So where has it
> penetrated enterprise level solutions?

pretty much everywhere. take off your blinders and look around.

<https://blog.code42.com/the-growth-of-macs-in-the-enterprise-is-challen
ging-the-pcs-dominance/>
The PC has long been the default choice for business computers, but
perhaps not for much longer. The growth of Macs in the enterprise has
been exponential in recent years, as illustrated by the infographic
below.
Simpler IT support for Macs and a high level of user self-service
drive the bulk of this cost savings. IBM reports that just 3.5
percent of its Mac users currently call the help desk, compared to 25
percent of its PC users. Media company Buzzfeed maintains only a
small IT staff for its thousands of employees­only 30-35 employees
use Windows machines, while the rest operate on Macs

infographic:
<https://blog.code42.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Growth-of-Macs-in-th
e-Enterprise.png>

ibm, of all companies, has what is likely the largest mac deployment,
with *half* of their employees having macs:
<https://www.businessinsider.com/an-ibm-it-guy-macs-are-300-cheaper-to-o
wn-than-windows-2016-10>
At that time, some 30,000 IBM employees were using Macs. Today 90,000
of them are, he said. And IBM ultimately plans to distribute 150,000
to 200,000 Macs to workers, meaning about half of IBM's approximately
370,000 employees will have Macs.

the real growth is in the mobile space, as it is everywhere, not just
enterprise. mobile is the future.

airlines in particular are using ipads:
<https://www.cnet.com/news/singapore-airline-pilots-get-digitized-with-i
pads/>
But Singapore Airlines wants to change that for its pilots -- and
it's leveraging Apple's iPad to do so to make the "pilot duty
process" easier for its frequent flyers. The airline started looking
into this back in 2015, before rolling out iPads loaded with two
essential custom apps, FlyNow and Roster. These iPads are secured
with Apple's TouchID, letting them ditch the previously used
two-factor authentication dongles pilots had to carry around. That's
on top of the other apps that give pilots detailed weather
information and flight charting information.

note the 'custom app' part, which you incorrectly claimed was not
possible on ios devices. it's very possible and widely done, and quite
a bit easier with higher quality apps than with android.

more *custom* mobile apps:
<https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ibm-and-united-airlines-collab
orate-on-enterprise-ios-apps-to-transform-travel-experience-300401163.ht
ml>
IBM (NYSE: IBM) and United Airlines today announced a collaboration
to deliver a robust suite of enterprise iOS apps, unleashing the
power of the more than 50,000 iOS devices in the hands of the
airline's front-line employees. As part of IBM and Apple's global
partnership to redefine the way work gets done, these
made-for-business apps will be powered by analytics and customized
to further drive the airline's digital transformation, enhancing how
United serves its customers.

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-ge-partner-to-bring-predix-apps-to-
ios/>
General Electric is partnering with Apple to develop mobile apps for
industrial operators that will bring analytics from GE's Predix
platform to Apple's iPads and iPhones.
For Apple, the Cupertino tech giant has partnered with a number of
software companies in an effort to push iOS apps for the enterprise
-- including IBM, Cisco, Deloitte, and SAP -- but the GE partnership
goes a bit deeper.

delta is switching from microsoft surface to ipad:
<http://fortune.com/2017/10/23/delta-airlines-microsoft-surface-apple-ip
hone-ipad/>
Delta Air Lines will provide nearly 30,000 flight crew members with
Apple iPads and iPhones, reversing course from a high-profile deal
announced four years ago that armed flight crews with Microsoft
hardware.

nospam

Dec 31, 2018, 5:03:44 PM12/31/18
In article <g8vheh...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> developing and deploying for ios is a lot easier than android,
> >> regardless of what type of app it is, largely because of the zillions
> >> of devices needed to support and test, and apple is *not* solely
> >> consumer focused in the least.
> >
> > https://www.technewsworld.com/story/21320.html
> >
> > How's that Xserve doing?
>
> The Xserve has absolutely nothing to do with how easy it is to develop
> mobile apps for iOS and Android. HARD FAIL. Troll harder. That attempt
> was pitiful.

to be fair, he was referring to the consumer focus part, although that
was just a small part of the entire comment.

and there's much more to enterprise than an xserve.

rbowman

Dec 31, 2018, 5:12:40 PM12/31/18
On 12/31/2018 02:53 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2018-12-31, rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:
>> On 12/31/2018 01:18 AM, nospam wrote:
>>> developing and deploying for ios is a lot easier than android,
>>> regardless of what type of app it is, largely because of the zillions
>>> of devices needed to support and test, and apple is *not* solely
>>> consumer focused in the least.
>>
>> https://www.technewsworld.com/story/21320.html
>>
>> How's that Xserve doing?
>
> The Xserve has absolutely nothing to do with how easy it is to develop
> mobile apps for iOS and Android. HARD FAIL. Troll harder. That attempt
> was pitiful.

Jolly, did your education include reading comprehension? nospam asserted
Apple is not solely focused on consumers. My reply was their attempted
foray into the enterprise world was a failure.

Note: I am not saying iPad and iPhones cannot serve as thin clients in
an enterprise environment, but then so can a Chromebook.

nospam

Dec 31, 2018, 5:34:25 PM12/31/18
In article <g8viil...@mid.individual.net>, rbowman
<bow...@montana.com> wrote:

> >> https://www.technewsworld.com/story/21320.html
> >>
> >> How's that Xserve doing?
> >
> > The Xserve has absolutely nothing to do with how easy it is to develop
> > mobile apps for iOS and Android. HARD FAIL. Troll harder. That attempt
> > was pitiful.
> >

> Jolly, did your education include reading comprehension? nospam asserted
> Apple is not solely focused on consumers. My reply was their attempted
> foray into the enterprise world was a failure.

there's *much* more to enterprise than just xserve. much, much more.

> Note: I am not saying iPad and iPhones cannot serve as thin clients in
> an enterprise environment, but then so can a Chromebook.

two different use cases.

ipads and iphones have *very* powerful processors and can do a *lot*
more than just be a thin client, whereas that's about all a chromebook
is.

for education, chromebook is a very good choice. if one is damaged (and
kids will definitely damage them), replace it, log in and continue.

no single product works for every use case. pick the best tool for the
job.

rbowman

Dec 31, 2018, 11:46:15 PM12/31/18
On 12/31/2018 03:34 PM, nospam wrote:
> there's *much* more to enterprise than just xserve. much, much more.

Whatever. Have a Happy New Year filled with apples.

Jolly Roger

Jan 1, 2019, 10:45:24 AM1/1/19
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 12/26/2018 7:03 PM, arlen holder wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 15:30:14 -0500, nospam wrote:
>>
>>> nonsense. not only are there equivalents, there are even better options.
>>
>> Please just name one (link) if that's the case.
>
> LOL, you often see inquiries for an iOS app with all the functionality
> of Torque Pro. Unfortunately there's no such animal.

Bullshit. You obviously haven’t looked very hard.

I’ve been using the Carista BLE Bluetooth adapter with the OBD Fusion iOS
app for a while now, and it is such an animal. It works great on multiple
cars I’ve used it with:

<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion/id650684932?mt=8>

<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DM4kCbPHPTJAS>

> I don't know why
> the author doesn't port it to iOS

It’s not needed on iOS.

> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8
> is rated 2.4 out of 5. They do explain that only certain types of OBD-II
> dongles will work.

Crappy app there. No thanks.

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US
> is rated 4.5 out of 5. It just has a lot more functionality.

OBD Fusion is rated 4.7 out of 5 by 4820 people on the iOS App Store.

> Still puzzled as to why the Bluetooth SPP profile was left out of iOS.
> No one has ever had a good answer to that.

It’s not needed.

JR

sms

Jan 1, 2019, 6:27:11 PM1/1/19
On 1/1/2019 7:45 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:

<snip>

> OBD Fusion is rated 4.7 out of 5 by 4820 people on the iOS App Store.

Don't you love the footnote on their web site: "Generic ELM327 Bluetooth
adapters are not compatible with OBD Fusion for iOS. This is a
limitiation of iOS, not OBD Fusion."

But it does look like a good app. Glad to see that 4820 users have rated
it, and that it got such a high rating. OTOH, Torque Pro has a 4.5
rating, and 55,575 ratings and more than a million downloads. Could be
because OBD Fusion is more than 2x the price. $5 seems to be the price
point where people will not think about the cost of an app.

Still wondering why iOS doesn't allow the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
(SPP). SPP is used by a huge number of industrial devices which can't
have apps on iOS which is a shame.

nospam

Jan 1, 2019, 6:40:37 PM1/1/19
In article <q0gt0c$ltj$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Still wondering why iOS doesn't allow the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
> (SPP).

because spp is obsolete.

bluetooth 4/le is *much* easier to use, both for users and developers,
as well as being faster and more reliable.

> SPP is used by a huge number of industrial devices which can't
> have apps on iOS which is a shame.

actually, very few.

and if those manufacturers updated their hardware to bluetooth le, they
likely wouldn't need to write an app since bluetooth le has numerous
standard characteristics that are *already* natively supported by ios.

as i said, spp is obsolete.

nospam

Jan 2, 2019, 12:27:47 PM1/2/19
In article <g949i7...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Glad to see that 4820 users have rated it, and that it got such a
> > high rating. OTOH, Torque Pro has a 4.5 rating, and 55,575 ratings
> > and more than a million downloads.
>
> And yet still has a lower rating. : ) Not that I care about your little
> pissing contest. The point is despite your false claim, there *are*
> quality OBD apps for iOS.

quite a few.

a search for obd on the ios app store returns more than 300 hits.

there is no shortage of obd apps.

nospam

Jan 2, 2019, 12:46:34 PM1/2/19
In article <g94bki...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
> And no shortage of OBD Bluetooth adapters that work just fine with those
> iOS apps. It's almost as if sms is blowing hot air. #SHOCKER

not almost. it's what he does.

arlen holder

Jan 2, 2019, 1:04:02 PM1/2/19
On 2 Jan 2019 17:09:27 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> If you can't afford $9.99, you should probably ask for a raise.

I love when Jolly Roger posts because he is the epitome of an iOS user!
*Jolly Roger literally enjoys iOS' astronomical overall cost of ownership!*

In fact, when it comes time for "logical argument", the main argument Jolly
Roger displays is that if you can't afford to pay twice as much for half
the performance, then you shouldn't be on iOS in the first place.

That's why I _love_ when Jolly Roger posts for all iOS users!

I love when Jolly Roger writes because he can't hide his true feelings.
He's the PERFECT example of the thought process of the average iOS user!

Jolly Roger clearly has his iOS religious convictions.
Of that, there is no doubt.

*Yet, none of Jolly Roger's arguments ever stand up to logical scrutiny.*
His _only_ argument is that the less-functional app is twice the price!

And he shoves that twice-the-price for half-the-performance in sms' face.
As if paying twice as much for half the functionality is a badge of honor!

I LOVE when Jolly Roger posts!
I really do.

I'm serious.
He can't hide his true feelings.

*Jolly Roger _enjoys_ iOS' astronomical overall cost of ownership!*