Serious FM DX Portables

Somebody Somewhere

Nov 11, 2007, 12:30:18 AM11/11/07
Yeah yeah, I know, this is a shortwave group. But no doubt we have FM
DXers here too. What are the best portables for serious FM DX? How
does the Eton E1 perform on FM? Thanks!

Message has been deleted

RHF

Nov 11, 2007, 4:08:35 AM11/11/07
On Nov 10, 9:30 pm, Somebody Somewhere <YCTHU...@aol.com> wrote:
-
- Yeah yeah, I know, this is a shortwave group.
- But no doubt we have FM DXers here too.
- What are the best portables for serious FM DX?
- How does the Eton E1 perform on FM?
- Thanks!
-

Serious 'portable' FM Radios for DXing the FM Band
[ Was : Serious FM DX Portables ]

- - - Re-Post - - - FM Radio DXing Tools
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a8b3717e18602987

FM Radio DXing Tools
DXFM => http://www.dxfm.com/Content/tools.htm
* The FM Antenna
* Advanced FM Antenna Techniques
* The FM Receiver
* RDS (Radio Data Service) and the FM Digital Signal
* FM DX Radio Shack Shots {Photos}
* A Few Last FM Dxing Thoughts

Introduction to FM Broadcasting and FM Band DXing
http://www.dxfm.com/Content/intro.htm

FM Radio DXing - Tricks of the Trade
http://www.dxfm.com/Content/tricks.htm

-Source- DXFM . Com -Website- http://www.dxfm.com/
-by Girard Westerberg, Lexington, KT -USA-

Worldwide TV-FM DX Association
http://www.wtfda.org/index.php
http://www.anarc.org/wtfda/

fm magic ~ RHF
.
.
Question - What Is A Good FM Receiver ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/992e7e8318102623
Answer - The FM Receiver is Only Half (1/2)
of the FM Broadcast Reception Equation.
.
.
ABOUT - External "Roof-Top" FM Antennas
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/6bee8e3e9cd493ee
For Better FM Radio Listening Options
.
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Group
http://groups.google.com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS => http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING => http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
.......!.......

RHF

Nov 11, 2007, 6:49:14 AM11/11/07
On Nov 11, 1:08 am, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> [...]

> .
> Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
> Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
> dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
> do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> ¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
> de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/

> .
> = = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
> All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners

FO&A,

Follow-Up - Two Key 'Features' In Any Portable FM Radio
That Are Worth Considering For DXing The FM Band Are :

1 - FM Stereo / FM Mono -Switch-

2 - Local / DX -Switch- That Works for the FM Band.

One or Both will Help with your Ability to Receive
and Hear Distant (DX) FM Radio Signals.

Plus for a 'portable' FM Radio you may find that an old
Pair of TV Rabbit-Ears {Portable FM 'Dipole' Antenna}
can be a real 'aid' in picking-up more FM Radio Signals
then simply using the Radio's builtin Whip Antenna.
http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ170155565678
http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/l4655.jpg
http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/cartoon/images/Warner/bugs-antenna.JPG
* Connect an Alligator Clip to one of the Leads of the
TV Rabbit-Ears Antenna
* Connect Rear-Barrel of an 1/8" Mono-Plug to the 'other'
of the Leads of the TV Rabbit-Ears Antenna {Remove the
Tip of the 1/8" Mono-Plug}
* Stretch-Out the the Two Telescoping Elements of the
TV Rabbit-Ears Antenna in the shape of a "V" across /
near a Window or on an Outside Wall
* Insert the Rear-Barrel-End of an 1/8" Mono-Plug into
the Radio's Headphone Jack
* Attach the Alligator Clip to the End of the Radio's
Collapsed Whip Antenna
* Rotate the TV Rabbit-Ears Antenna for the best Peak
Signal -or- to Null-Out and unwanted Signal.

RadioShack - VHF TV Antenna {FM Dipole Antenna}
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062018
- - - RadioShack Catalog # 15-236
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?cp=2032057.2032187.2032189&categoryId=2032204&pg=2
* Terk TV1 Indoor Replacement Antenna with Removable Base
* Philips MANT075 Indoor VHF/UHF/FM TV Antenna

IMHO - The TV Rabbit-Ears Antenna usually out performs
the Radio's builtin Whip Antenna and is a Easy-to-Use and
is a very 'positionalable' FM Dipole Antenna for DXing.

READ - TV/FM DXing -source- DXing.Com
FM DX => http://www.dxing.com/tvfmdx.htm

ABOUT - TV and FM Antennas
http://www.kyes.com/antenna/antennadex.html

Intro to FM DXing -by- Dr. Bruce F. Elving
http://www.anarc.org/wtfda/intro_to_fm_dx.htm
ANARC & World Wide TV FM DXing Association

In-Search-Of - The Search for FM Excellence
http://www.davidmannaudio.com/faq/faq5.html
-source- David Mann Audio

once again - hope this helps and remember to . . .

David

Nov 11, 2007, 8:30:44 AM11/11/07
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:08:35 -0800, RHF <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Answer - The FM Receiver is Only Half (1/2)
>of the FM Broadcast Reception Equation.
> .
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Huh?

I think the radio would have to be 100% of some part of the process.

Propagation is also 100% of the equation.

RHF

Nov 11, 2007, 4:04:25 PM11/11/07
On Nov 11, 5:30 am, David <rick...@knac.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:08:35 -0800, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net>

> wrote:
>
> >Answer - The FM Receiver is Only Half (1/2)
> >of the FM Broadcast Reception Equation.
> > .
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Huh?
>
> I think the radio would have to be 100% of some part of the process.
>
> Propagation is also 100% of the equation.

David - Yes 'real distant' DXing on the FM Radio Band
in the 250~500 Mile range is just about all Propagation.

However, a very good FM Radio and a Directional External
Antenna can get you 'consistant' FM DX Reception in the
range of 120~180 Miles.

f m magic ~ RHF
.

David

Nov 11, 2007, 4:24:32 PM11/11/07
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:04:25 -0800, RHF <rhf-new...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

FM makes a nice 800-1,000 mile bounce sometimes.

willis...@embarqmail.com

Nov 11, 2007, 8:50:28 PM11/11/07

I always felt that the Panasonic RF-2200 was the best MW and FM
portable radio for DXing that I ever used. Its shortwave performance
was okay but not its real strength.