Change of moderator for rec.radio.broadcasting

rec.radio.broadcasting Admin

Jan 30, 2010, 1:06:04 AM1/30/10
(Crossposted to several relevant newsgroups, with followups directed to
rec.radio.broadcasting. Please check headers carefully before following
up or replying.)

As of January, 2010, the moderation team for ba.broadcast.moderated (Bay
Area, California, USA) has taken over moderation duties for
rec.radio.broadcasting. The moderators on our team are three
experienced industry professionals and past participants on
rec.radio.broadcasting: Mark Roberts, Patty Winter, and John Higdon. We
are hosted at Public Access Internet and Unix, NYC (Panix) and using
Secure, Team-Based Usenet Moderation Program (STUMP). Articles posted
from a newsreader should now be automatically sent to the new team.

We appreciate the efforts of the late Bill Pfeiffer in creating this
newsgroup in 1992 and moderating it until his untimely death in 1999,
his friends and Internet colleagues that served as an interim moderation
team to keep the newsgroup going, and Steve Sobol who took over as
permanent replacement moderator from 2000 to 2010. Steve graciously
consented to have the new team take over immediately.

The newsgroup's original charter from 1992 may be found at

http://www.panix.com/~babm/usenet/rrb/

The August 1997 version of the newsgroup's posting guidelines may be
found at:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.broadcasting/browse_thread/thread/955c485039a3d87

An updated, and periodically posted, submission guidelines article is
pending, but in the meantime, the following general guidelines apply:

- We will generally abide by both the letter and intent of Bill
Pfeiffer's original charter, posting guidelines, and overall
moderation policies.

- Per the rec.radio.broadcasting guidelines, the posting of
copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder
will not be allowed. Instead, please write a brief synopsis of the
article with a link to the full piece.

- Bill Pfeiffer prohibited or restricted the use of pseudonyms or
unroutable (i.e., "munged") E-mail addresses. As a pragmatic
concession to the realities of the present-day Internet, and
consistent with the practices of other moderated newsgroups,
pseudonyms and unroutable E-mail address are permitted with some
restrictions. We ask that From: lines of submitted articles not
misrepresent the submitter's identity, be changed excessively, or
match a user or domain other than that of the submitter. Please
also realize that if a submitter uses an unroutable E-mail address,
then they will not be able to receive acknowledgment or rejection
messages for their submitted articles.

- In Bill Pfeiffer's configuration, an "X-No-Archive: yes" header was
automatically added to all posts so that they would not be archived
on DejaNews (later Google Groups). In our current configuration, it
is not. Thus, if the submitter does not wish their posts to
rec.radio.broadcasting to be archived, they will have to add that
header themselves, as with any other newsgroup.

- A limited amount of appropriate simultaneous crossposting (such as
to rec.radio.noncomm, ba.broadcast, ba.broadcast.moderated, and
alt.radio.broadcasting) will be permitted at the discretion of the
moderation team. Currently, a limit of 3 newsgroups total is
enforced by our moderation software (this article is an exception).

We hope to be able to turn around articles the same day, and probably
much faster in actual practice.

We would also be interested in inputs on any FAQ/history/charter
documents, or possibly volunteers to restart and coordinate Bill
Pfeiffer's old Radio Watchers program.

We would like everyone to consider submitting articles, making
suggestions, offering any contributions of time, referring us to other
possible interested individuals, or even referring this new development
(a change of moderators) to other broadcasting-related mailing lists or
web forums in which they participate.

Questions, suggestions, concerns, or criticisms may be directed to
rec-radio-broadcasti...@panix.com, which is the default
reply address for this article.