Considering Offers for Mr. Boston.

Chris Romero

Jun 25, 2006, 9:56:46 AM6/25/06
This title says it all.

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

Darryl B.

Jun 25, 2006, 2:05:04 PM6/25/06
Wow, you're effin' kidding :shock:

Got pics?

Mayhem

Jun 25, 2006, 2:05:05 PM6/25/06
Oooo... ahhh... mmmm... I don't know how much you got of it though
Chris, so is it loose, boxed, complete...? :)

davidje

Jun 25, 2006, 2:05:05 PM6/25/06
would be nice with some pictures... and should the bidding be open,
why not put it on ebay?

Mayhem

Jun 25, 2006, 3:05:08 PM6/25/06
Reasons for not putting it on eBay:

1) No listing/final bid fees
2) No chance of a zero feedback waster winning
3) Perhaps he would prefer it to go to someone he knows will
appreciate it

davidje

Jun 25, 2006, 5:51:03 PM6/25/06
Mayhem skrev:

> 2) No chance of a zero feedback waster winning
> 3) Perhaps he would prefer it to go to someone he knows will
> appreciate it

I think at the price it will end it would not be a zero-feedback or
someone who doesn't appreciate it... ;)

Love to see the endbid for this one...

Chris Romero

Jun 25, 2006, 11:46:45 PM6/25/06
Friends,

This item will be one of those rare items which will not be sold on eBay.
It will be announced in other venues including DP and AA. Feel free to
pass it on to others still.

I may place a "test" listing on eBay for general knowledge. As for zero
feedback, I have a tendency to confirm "0" bidders identity before the
auctions ends for those bidding on my Vectrex and Vertibird items. Not to
say that I restrict bidders, but I don't discount them. For this
particular kind of item I would probably restrict anyone with a low
feedback.

And yes, I would prefer the Mr. Boston package to go to the fine people of
rgv crowd with the exception of one particular female collector from the
past. And you probably know who you are already.

Extra/newly found item: No.

Condition: Great condition, boxed and complete.

Pictures: Soon. But it is in the same condition as at CGExpo. All the
known images of the Mr. Boston package (Box, overlay, manual and cart) are
probably from my web site or via my emails to others where I have allowed
reposting. So really folks, you already know what this Mr. Boston package
looks like. And maybe even the secrets to telling if this is a real Mr.
Boston cart or not. Of which I can assure you this is the real deal.

Bonus item: Original Mr. Boston Vodka bottle. In great condition but
empty. (that was the way I received it)

This Mr. Boston package is from a group of only three known carts. Of those
three carts, only two known complete boxed carts exist.

Here is the known list
Jayson Hill: Loose cart (AFAIK) Jay's cart was the first known cart found
years before mine. Not sure if he still has it.
Shaw Scallen: Boxed, complete. Shawn's was the third known cart.
Chris Romero(mine): Boxed, complete, Mine was the second known cart and the
first one know to be complete.

--

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

"davidje" <transmi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

rob.o...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 12:07:47 AM6/26/06

Chris Romero wrote:

> Here is the known list
> Jayson Hill: Loose cart (AFAIK) Jay's cart was the first known cart found
> years before mine. Not sure if he still has it.
> Shaw Scallen: Boxed, complete. Shawn's was the third known cart.
> Chris Romero(mine): Boxed, complete, Mine was the second known cart and the
> first one know to be complete.

How did you come by the cart? That would make a good fireside story!

Mayhem

Jun 26, 2006, 7:05:05 AM6/26/06
Ah it's that one Chris, consider me interested. I'll have to think of
a price :)

Pepijn Bakker

Jun 26, 2006, 4:42:38 PM6/26/06
aaaaaai

very interested indeed Chris, unfortunately I can't afford to
outbid my fellow collectors right now .....

Anyways I appreciate your effort to keep this cart in known community..

"Chris Romero" <nospamto-cr...@romero.org> wrote in message

syn...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2006, 5:53:08 PM6/26/06
That's an interesting tie-in to the Vectrex for sure! I wonder who in
marketing thought, "hey we'll take this kids video game and make a
tie-in to our liquor product". What are the chances at the time that:
1. someone owned the Vectrex *and*, 2. they were in the market for a
bottle of vodka, *and* finally 3. happened to be shopping at Mr.
Boston and recognized their luck that the two were offered at the same
place at the same time!?

Pretty amazing that a regional store chain would get that done, and
even more amazing that copies exist today.

Neat stuff.

Mike Doyle

Chris Romero

Jun 26, 2006, 11:22:29 PM6/26/06
There have been talks by the developers at CGExpo on the subject of the Mr.
Boston cart production. But I don't think Mr. Boston Liquors reasons for
the partnership were ever presented clearly.

Anyone out there happen to know who the C-Level or VP folks over in Mr.
Boston Liquors were at the time? Maybe we can dig them up and pick their
brains to find out what the actual motivation was from their side of the
table?

The original Pong did appear in bar first. So maybe the idea was not so
much to sell the game as it was to make Mr. Boston Liquors appear up to
speed with the times. Maybe they thought that kind of image would translate
into someone diverting a purchase from a "staid" brand, to the more hip Mr.
Boston brand with the cool video game demo playing on the counter. I am
ignore most advertising trying those gimmicks. But I know a lot of the
general population will take notice of those gimmicks and commit their
consumer dollar right on the spot. A few months on the counter could
possibly be the trick to pay for the effort assuming enough copies were
actually being displayed

This is all speculation as I really don't know the total story myself. (I
should be more on top of this particular topic!)

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

<syn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Chris Romero

shawn scallen

Jun 27, 2006, 12:46:20 AM6/27/06

Chris Romero wrote:
> There have been talks by the developers at CGExpo on the subject of the Mr.
> Boston cart production. But I don't think Mr. Boston Liquors reasons for
> the partnership were ever presented clearly.

Minicade + Mr. Boston + happy hour = empting wallet of bills and
pockets of quarters

FURY

Jun 27, 2006, 4:19:35 AM6/27/06

Chris Romero wrote:
So maybe the idea was not so
> much to sell the game as it was to make Mr. Boston Liquors appear up to
> speed with the times. Maybe they thought that kind of image would translate
> into someone diverting a purchase from a "staid" brand, to the more hip Mr.
> Boston brand with the cool video game demo playing on the counter. I am
> ignore most advertising trying those gimmicks.

Sounds like that's right on the money, plus the fact that
many liquor stores in the U.S. at that time had at least
one arcade game set-up for play. The Mr. Boston people
probably figured it was a good advertising move, and
then took a look at the home systems available, going
with the Vectrex.

George

Chad Tower

Jun 27, 2006, 10:15:13 AM6/27/06

All something like that takes is one executive with either a serious
like of the Vectrex or someone with a bug in his ear. It's not like
contacting the developer to add a couple lines of code would be all
that expensive on the corporate scale.

Chris Romero

Jun 29, 2006, 8:07:40 PM6/29/06
This information above represents reliable people with confirmed offers. So
far the offers are coming in mostly from Vectrex collectors just as this
group would like it.

People seriously interested: 11

High offer
$2000.00. With a possibility to throw in another rare item of value. Items
as part of the deal is an option I am willing to consider.

Backup offer:
$1000.00 with a possibility of another special cart.

The backup offer is classified as a 100% confirmed offer of last resort if
everything else falls through. However this offer is several levels down
from other bids before having to be considered. The backup offer itself was
made early on and is so impressive (and nice) I thought it deserved a
mention and a "Thank You!" in this thread.

Still taking offers for the Vectrex Mr. Boston package at this time.

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

Chris Romero

Jul 3, 2006, 6:39:43 PM7/3/06
This information below represents reliable people with confirmed offers.

People interested: 13

End Date: July 5, 2006 (* see auction close note)
End: Time: 0700 PST, USA, GMT-8 (* see auction close note)

High offer:
$2200.00 (**)
(Last high cash offer shown. A Previous offer with hardware item included
also offered)

Backup offer:
$1000.00 with a possibility of another special cart (**)

The backup offer is classified as a 100% confirmed offer of last resort if
everything else falls through. However this offer is several levels down
from other bids before having to be considered. The backup offer itself was
made early on and is so impressive (and nice) I thought it deserved a
mention and a "Thank You!" in this thread.

* Close time note:
In the traditional end of the auction style, then end of the auction will be
followed by final call for offers three times. These calls will be placed 4
hours apart to allow other time zones the chance to respond. At the end of
the final call (#3) with no other responses then the final offer will be
considered as the winning offer. Please people, do not drag this thing out
for days after the actual close time.

**As noted earlier in this thread I am willing to consider other special
Vectrex or Vertibird offered as part of the deal.

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

CR

Jul 4, 2006, 5:22:15 PM7/4/06
Here are some quck pictures of the package:

Mr. Boston Images: http://www.vectrex.com/Images/MrB/MrBoston.html

CR

Chris Romero

Jul 5, 2006, 11:45:29 AM7/5/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on http://www.Vectrex.com.

Phase: Last call 1 of 3

russel...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2006, 1:06:26 PM7/5/06
Hi everyone, just found this place out from the Mr Boston post on
atari-age.com
Chris, checked http://www.vectrex.com/ and the latest post, what have
you based the value of the boxed Bandai on? 800 USD sound a bit too
low? Or is it in really bad shape?

videopac

Jul 5, 2006, 1:58:27 PM7/5/06
Hi!

russel...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone, just found this place out from the Mr Boston post on
> atari-age.com
> Chris, checked http://www.vectrex.com/ and the latest post, what have
> you based the value of the boxed Bandai on? 800 USD sound a bit too
> low? Or is it in really bad shape?

I must agree on this! The Bandai boxed is, in my experience, a lot
rarer and expensive than that. Not too many of those babies sloshing
around in the community!

Best Regards,

Rikard

Chris Romero

Jul 5, 2006, 2:07:43 PM7/5/06
Hi Russel,

A few things really. The box is not perfect. Not bad considering the age
and the rarity of the Bandai systems. But I also have three other
Kousokusen so some of the allowance is based on my desire to acquire the
piece. An open market sale may fetch more for the Bandai Vectrex system.

--

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

<russel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Chris Romero

Jul 5, 2006, 2:11:55 PM7/5/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on http://www.Vectrex.com

Phase: Last call 2 of 3

Chris Romero

Jul 5, 2006, 7:03:27 PM7/5/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on
http://www.Vectrex.com]http://www.Vectrex.com

Phase: Last call 1 of 3, Round 2

This auction was extended 03:00 AM 7/6/2006 (GMT -8) due to a higher cash
only bid being offered.
New close time in 12 hours barring any higher offers.

Chris Romero

Jul 5, 2006, 11:53:54 PM7/5/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on
http://www.Vectrex.com]http://www.Vectrex.com

Phase: Last call 2 of 3, Round 2

This auction was extended to 03:00 AM 7/6/2006 (GMT -8) due to a higher cash
only bid being offered.

Chris Romero

Jul 6, 2006, 7:23:23 AM7/6/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on
[url=http://www.Vectrex.com]http://www.Vectrex.com[/url]

Phase: Last call 1 of 3, Round 3

This auction was extended to 03:00 PM 7/6/2006 (GMT -8) due to a higher bid

being offered.
New close time in 12 hours barring any higher offers.

Chris Romero

Jul 6, 2006, 5:28:35 PM7/6/06
Mr. Boston auction status posted on
[url=http://www.Vectrex.com]http://www.Vectrex.com[/url]

Phase: Last call 3 of 3, Round 3
Attention! This sale will complete at 15:00 AM 7/6/2006 (GMT -8) unless
anothe bid is recevied!

Chris Romero

Jul 6, 2006, 7:21:07 PM7/6/06
Vectrex Mr. Boston Status - Closed and Final 15:00 PST 7/6/2006 (GMT -8)

Winning offer:
$3400.00 cash plus a boxed Bandai Vectrex.

Boxed Bandai images:
http://www.vectrex.com/Images/MRB-BandaiInclusionImages/MrB_Auction-BandaiInclusion.html

Congratulations to the winner! I will allow the winner to self acknowledge
their ownership of the Vectrex Mr. Boston Package when they desire.

A special thank you to everyone who made offers for the Vectrex Mr. Boston
package. We definitely have tenacious Vectrex bidders who don't go down
without a fight!

Thanks to all who participated and who were watching in the wings. I
appreciate every one of you who are a part of our fine Vectrex community!

Here are some quick pictures of the winners' Vectrex Mr. Boston package:

Alternate threads on this topic can be found at the locations below:

R.G.V via Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.vectrex/browse_thread/thread/ce6615724b0be171/f20cd0acf7f6f851?hl=en#f20cd0acf7f6f851

R.G.V via Vectrex Forum: http://www.vectrexforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=142

Atari Age posting about the Mr. Boston offering:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89789

Vectrex Forum posting about the Mr. Boston offering:
http://www.vectrexforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=149

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

(P.S.: In the very unlikely chance this deal does not complete the next
highest offer will be accepted.)

cNp

Jul 7, 2006, 3:34:05 AM7/7/06

> Here are some quick pictures of the winners' Vectrex Mr. Boston package:
> Mr. Boston Images: http://www.vectrex.com/Images/MrB/MrBoston.html

Impressive price!

Now to just find a jiffy bag to put it in for posting.

cNp

P.S. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Chris Romero

Jul 7, 2006, 6:17:08 AM7/7/06

Oh for shame! I think I could at least provide a used TPG box and route
the package through the Netherlands postal system. Deutsche Poste does not
seem to know where the FIFA fields start and stop right now. All packages
look like a football to them. Especially the white ones.

;-) ;-) (winky winky)

--

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

"cNp" <cparson...@aol.com> wrote in message

Mayhem

Jul 7, 2006, 8:05:03 AM7/7/06
Next competition: predict how much import duty the winner will pay ;)

davidje

Jul 7, 2006, 8:34:03 AM7/7/06

Mayhem skrev:

> Next competition: predict how much import duty the winner will pay ;)

:-) :-)

Yeah that will be a killer if shipped in the wrong way...
A plane ticket to US and back would be cheaper I guess!

Chad Tower

Jul 7, 2006, 9:04:13 AM7/7/06

cNp wrote:
> Now to just find a jiffy bag to put it in for posting.

Dude, he can just use the game box to ship it in. The natural choice!

Mayhem

Jul 7, 2006, 6:05:03 PM7/7/06
> davidjewrote:

Yeah that will be a killer if shipped in the wrong way...
> A plane ticket to US and back would be cheaper I guess!

You should have just let me win it instead ;)

(yeah I was the sucker bidding against you)

I'm actually off to the US on the 14th July and would have picked it
up there from my girlfriend's place and brought it back with me.

davidje

Jul 26, 2006, 5:41:39 AM7/26/06

Mayhem wrote:
> Next competition: predict how much import duty the winner will pay ;)

It has arrived... and no import duty or fees added! :-)

ShaddamVI

Jul 26, 2006, 5:56:21 AM7/26/06
> It has arrived... and no import duty or fees added! :-)

Congratulations, David. My hat is doffed!
You *must* have the most complete collection in the world bar none now?
Surely the combination of Bandai, Dutch Ball and Mr Boston clinch it?

Aside from the odd Bandai miscellany which was mass produced originally
anyway so isn't in the same league, what mega rarities are left?

I guess they must be the fabled prototypes now?
There is
The Colour Vectrex (red and yellow)
The Handmade Prototype Case Vectrex
Where did Chris' partial mailplane dump come from? Was there a dev cart
that held it?
The original development PCs. I heard Mark Indictor's (sp?) was known
to exist at one point?
The Vectrex "computer" and keyboard. We've seen pics so even if it
didn't exist, there must be a plastic dummy model somewhere. (just like
the recent "empty" PS3s "running" demos :)
There was the film that used a custom game for some in movie computer
effects. I guess that must have existed as a cart at some point too. I
bet that would be a find!

Anything else?

Alex. (humbled UK collector)

Richard Hutchinson

Jul 26, 2006, 6:02:52 AM7/26/06
>Anything else?

Clear lightpen (display model ?)

(I'm having one made)

Richard H.

davidje

Jul 26, 2006, 6:23:15 AM7/26/06
> Aside from the odd Bandai miscellany which was mass produced originally
> anyway so isn't in the same league, what mega rarities are left?

Too many! ;)

I also got the Bezerk II prototype yesterday... and next week I get
that mint Bandai with the controller dustcover still in place...

http://www.vintagegames.se/forum/images/collection_item_4476.jpg

Chad Tower

Jul 26, 2006, 9:14:03 AM7/26/06

I didn't know a Berzerk II existed! Berzerk is definitely my favorite
classic. How complete is the game?

davidje

Jul 26, 2006, 9:26:20 AM7/26/06

Chad Tower wrote:
> I didn't know a Berzerk II existed! Berzerk is definitely my favorite
> classic. How complete is the game?

I think Berzerk II is a buggfixed Berzerk... i tried it and it looks
the same.

Jeroen

Jul 26, 2006, 11:02:35 AM7/26/06
davidje schreef:
what's the bug?

Chris Romero

Jul 26, 2006, 11:22:57 AM7/26/06
The original development PCs. I heard Mark Indictor's (sp?) was known
to exist at one point?

This Ithaca Intersystem's machine was sold off by FR Wilk to a classis
computer systems collector. No idea who bought it.

--

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

"ShaddamVI" <x...@chaom.co.uk> wrote in message

Chris Romero

Jul 26, 2006, 11:22:58 AM7/26/06
Where did Chris' partial mailplane dump come from? Was there a dev cart
that held it?

Came from FR Wilk. Cart form.

--

Sincerely,

Chris
cromero at romero dot org

Mayhem

Jul 26, 2006, 12:05:18 PM7/26/06
> davidjewrote:

I also got the Bezerk II prototype yesterday... and next week I get
that mint Bandai with the controller dustcover still in place...

Oh that's where it went... much that I respect you and the vast
collection you have, I utterly HATE HATE HATE people who sideoffer on
eBay auctions to take it away from others who might be interested
(such as myself). And yes I would have bid pretty well on it seeing
as I didn't get the Mr Boston :evil:

davidje

Jul 26, 2006, 12:12:35 PM7/26/06

Mayhem wrote:
> Oh that's where it went... much that I respect you and the vast
> collection you have, I utterly HATE HATE HATE people who sideoffer on
> eBay auctions to take it away from others who might be interested
> (such as myself). And yes I would have bid pretty well on it seeing
> as I didn't get the Mr Boston :evil:

Sorry for that, I saw the auction 2-3 hours before I was going on
holiday so contacted him with an offer since there were only one other
that had bid and I bid over him right away... but you're right, it
isn't nice to do that and I'm sorry, it won't happen again.
I guess he might have not ended the auction if more had placed bid or I
wasn't the highest bidder? How much would you have bid (if I may ask?)

Chad Tower

Jul 26, 2006, 2:40:53 PM7/26/06

That's the risk people run when they wait to snipe... the seller has no
indication of level of interest so they assume no one is going to bid.
Or else risk no one actually sniping and the item selling for less than
they want.

Rik

Jul 28, 2006, 5:36:39 PM7/28/06
Actually, they do now if they pay attention to the My Ebay page. Most
people click the 'Watch the Auction' link when they entend to bid on
it at a later date. The My Ebay now shows how many watchers there
are... I bet there were quite a few...

I was probably going to bid somewhere between $300-400, depending on
what else I spent money on that week... :) That's one of the main
reasons I use a sniping service. I place all my bids with the service
when I see the auction, and then if I blow way too much on something
else, I can easily cancel the bid without anyone ever knowing (and
without getting negative marks from Ebay... They don't like you doing
that too much...)

Rik

Gregg Woodcock

Jul 28, 2006, 5:28:50 PM7/28/06
ShaddamVI wrote:
>what mega rarities are left?

Clear light pen & uncut/unpopulated cart quad-PCB (promo). So far as I
know, mine are the only in existance and both are going on eBay soon (along
with the rest of my collection, not just Vectrex).
--
For God, family and republic!
My plan to save the world: