Re: Enticement question

LSJ

Dec 15, 2006, 7:57:24 AM12/15/06
In private email, a player wrote:
> Player A has the edge and attempts an enticement on his prey B who has
> only one pool left.
> One of B's minions attempts to block. A plays stealth and B plays a
> Direct Intervention, ousting himself.
>
> Does the action continue, targetting A's new prey ?
> If not, what is the status of the action (ended ? fizzling ? other ?) ?

No. Similarly, if the action had been Computer Hacking (targeting A's prey, as
per the default), it actually targets 'B' himself, not just the generic "A's
prey". DI'in stealth on the Hack would have the same effect: removing the target.

The action would continue, but would fizzle when it reached resolution (with no
valid targets), assuming no one plays Eagle's Sight or somesuch to block the
action first.

Note that an action that doesn't "target" the ousted Methuselah is handled a bit
differently:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/e79b0034556c3d1b

V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes

Huruem

Dec 15, 2006, 8:15:17 AM12/15/06
You probably have answered to that question already, but does it work
in the same way with Frontal assault? I thought not, but now that you
have raised this point I'm not sure about that anymore.

Let me rephrase it :

Frontal assault
Put this card in play. Each ready minion you control may enter combat
with any minion controlled by your prey as a (D) action. You gain 1
pool each time a ready minion controlled by your prey is burned or sent
to torpor. During your influence phase, burn this card and burn 1 pool
for each ready minion controlled by your prey.

So if I oust my prey, let's say by rushing a vampire with a fame, I
suppose that I lose as many pool as the number of minion controlled by
my new prey. Am I wrong?

LSJ

Dec 15, 2006, 8:58:12 AM12/15/06
Huruem wrote:
> You probably have answered to that question already, but does it work
> in the same way with Frontal assault? I thought not, but now that you
> have raised this point I'm not sure about that anymore.

How does "it" work needs context to resolve what "it" you mean.

> Let me rephrase it :
>
> Frontal assault
> Put this card in play. Each ready minion you control may enter combat
> with any minion controlled by your prey as a (D) action. You gain 1
> pool each time a ready minion controlled by your prey is burned or sent
> to torpor. During your influence phase, burn this card and burn 1 pool
> for each ready minion controlled by your prey.
>
> So if I oust my prey, let's say by rushing a vampire with a fame, I
> suppose that I lose as many pool as the number of minion controlled by
> my new prey. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong.

Similarly, Army of Rats' effect causes your 'prey' to burn a pool. That would
track to your new prey when your old prey is ousted. You prey is not the target
of the action to put Army of Rats in play however.

jeff...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2006, 1:25:00 PM12/15/06
LSJ wrote:
> In private email, a player wrote:
> > Player A has the edge and attempts an enticement on his prey B who has
> > only one pool left.
> > One of B's minions attempts to block. A plays stealth and B plays a
> > Direct Intervention, ousting himself.
> >
> > Does the action continue, targetting A's new prey ?
> > If not, what is the status of the action (ended ? fizzling ? other ?) ?
>
> No. Similarly, if the action had been Computer Hacking (targeting A's prey, as
> per the default), it actually targets 'B' himself, not just the generic "A's
> prey". DI'in stealth on the Hack would have the same effect: removing the target.
>
> The action would continue, but would fizzle when it reached resolution (with no
> valid targets), assuming no one plays Eagle's Sight or somesuch to block the
> action first.

There's a window to Eagle's Sight block the Hack after the player
self-ousts by DI'ing the stealth? The action doesn't fizzle as soon as
that player is removed from the game?

Jeff

LSJ

Dec 15, 2006, 1:34:46 PM12/15/06

jeff...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2006, 3:51:32 PM12/15/06

Those were nice to see. So then this sort of scenario is possible then?

Vamp A Harasses tapped Prince B.
Prince B plays Second Tradition and attempts to block.
A and B play various stealth and intercept cards, though A's stealth
eventually wins so the Harass goes to resolution.
The Harass then fizzles after all that cyclage and Prince B is left
untapped?

Kinda freaky, but I guess that makes sense considering when actions
truly resolve.

LSJ

Dec 15, 2006, 3:55:17 PM12/15/06
jeff...@gmail.com wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
>> For further commentary...
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/68d8797cc8d29772
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/c3788873e0058947
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/020f1731a61ce2f6
>
> Those were nice to see. So then this sort of scenario is possible then?
>
> Vamp A Harasses tapped Prince B.
> Prince B plays Second Tradition and attempts to block.
> A and B play various stealth and intercept cards, though A's stealth
> eventually wins so the Harass goes to resolution.
> The Harass then fizzles after all that cyclage and Prince B is left
> untapped?
>
> Kinda freaky, but I guess that makes sense considering when actions
> truly resolve.

Exactly.

Blooded Sand

Dec 17, 2006, 6:42:36 AM12/17/06

On Dec 15, 3:58 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Huruem wrote:
> > You probably have answered to that question already, but does it work
> > in the same way with Frontal assault? I thought not, but now that you

> > have raised this point I'm not sure about that anymore.How does "it" work needs context to resolve what "it" you mean.

> > Let me rephrase it :
>
> > Frontal assault
> > Put this card in play. Each ready minion you control may enter combat
> > with any minion controlled by your prey as a (D) action. You gain 1
> > pool each time a ready minion controlled by your prey is burned or sent
> > to torpor. During your influence phase, burn this card and burn 1 pool
> > for each ready minion controlled by your prey.
>
> > So if I oust my prey, let's say by rushing a vampire with a fame, I
> > suppose that I lose as many pool as the number of minion controlled by

> > my new prey. Am I wrong?You are not wrong.

> Similarly, Army of Rats' effect causes your 'prey' to burn a pool. That would
> track to your new prey when your old prey is ousted. You prey is not the target
> of the action to put Army of Rats in play however.

Okay. So enticement would not retarget, because you "Declare" who
"prey" is when the action commences. Frontal assault checks on each
rush action, and then also at the end of yourturn who "prey" is, not
continously. correct?

LSJ

Dec 17, 2006, 1:16:15 PM12/17/06

Correct.

Blooded Sand

Dec 17, 2006, 2:17:45 PM12/17/06

> > continously. correct?Correct. - Show quoted text -
Thnx!